cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overheat and Auto-off HTC 4G problem

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am very angry with the auto-off and overheat problem of  the HTC EVO 4g.

I've taken several times to the Sprint service store and they not been able to fix the problem.

I have been with sprint seen the first Palm Treo but now I just counting the days to cancel my service because anyone could help me solve the problem of a faulty phone.

My experience with the Evo 4G has been that there is a defective line of production and mine is one of these.  

I have witnessed customers visiting the store with the same problem as me and all the HTC and Sprint forums talk the same subject.

The question is why Sprint does not do a HTC Evo 4g recall from a defective production line?

If anyone can help me?

Tags (1)
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have to agree.  My Evo constantly overheats and goes into a reboot loop.  Yesterday I was in the middle of watching a movie (after finally getting Nexflix back).  I also had it plugged in since my batter was low.  About 30 minutes into the movie, down she goes.

What is the point of having a phone that can "do everything" if you can't "do everything" with it?!?!  I would just like to know what the problem is - the battery, the phone, what?

Highlighted
GrandMaster

the only time i have noticed my battery heating up is while im charging it AND either playing a game or watching something. other than that charging alone will cause it to heat up a little bit but that is normal.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

So if I'm in my car taking a trip and I want to use navigator and charge my phone at the same time, you're telling me I can't do that?  If you can't use the phone and charge at the same time, then its pretty useless.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

Never had navigation cause the phone to heat up while charging. games is a big one... While streaming video will do it as well. But not as bad as the games do.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

It's happened to me several times while using navigation with the phone in a charging dock.  After 5 to 10 minutes, phone goes into a reboot cycle and the only way I can get it to stop is to undock it and hold it up to the air vent to cool it down.  In my opinion this is a design flaw in the phone and is unacceptable.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Inrteresting.  I use my HTC EVO in an un-airconditioned truck with navigation and a car charger in 90+ temps  but have the optional 2500 mAh battery with no problem. It did go nuts once while charging in the sun via a car charger before the new battery. I hope mine does not start overheating.

By the way, the battery is well worth the bucks in my opinion.  I go from 6 am past midnight and am a moderate user.

Thanks for the heads up on the heat issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yesterday I'm outside for several hours in 90 degree weather.  My phone is on a belt holster.  I haven't touched it in about 2 hours.  I check the battery temp - its at 102.  My phone starts the rebooting cycle when it reaches about 105, so basically if I do anything that heats it up even a little it will be rebooting.

Now, if I'm at home and my phone is just sitting unused for a period of time, the battery temp will show in the low 80's.

I know the battery will warm up some due to the surrounding temperature, but for your phone to be basically unusable just because you are outside on a hot day is unacceptable.  I have never heard of any other phone with this condition.

So can someone tell me if this is due to a bad battery or bad hardware?

Highlighted
GrandMaster

thats weird. my phone while charging usually had a temp of around 60 degrees. heck i had it charging the other day and we were in the 100's. never had any issues at all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here's another example.  At work a couple of days ago.  Decided to watch a Netflix movie during lunch at my desk.  Turned on 4G.  Also connected my phone to my laptop to trickle-charge since my battery was around 40%.  Started the movie.  After approx. 30 minutes of viewing, BAM.  Down she goes.

I guess no one is able to help with this, but IMO this is completely unacceptable.  I compare it to buying a Corvette with a motor that shuts off if you drive over 60 mph.  What's the point in having the phone if you can't use it's features?

Highlighted
GrandMaster

did the back of the phone feel hot to the touch? especially the kickstand since its a different material.

Journeyman

I've done a few tests over the last couple of days and I don't think its related to the battery.  I think it is a hardware defect.  I have done a hard reset on my phone and loaded only three apps - Android Asst., Battery Monitory Widget (so I can read the temp of the battery as it rises) and Netflix.  If I open Netflix and watch a movie (either using wifi at home or 4G at work) the phone will go into the reboot cycle between 30-40 minutes into the viewing.  It happens whether I have the phone plugged into a power source or not, although it seems to happen a little faster if it is plugged in.  When the phone fails, the battery temp is always around 105F, which is a little warm but not overly so.  I have ordered a new battery and will see what happens with it, but it looks like I'm going to have to take it back to BestBuy for servicing/replacement since I have a contract with them.

BTW, my wife also has an EVO and I am able to watch full movies on her phone with no problem.  This also indicates to me a hardware issue.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat