Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overheat and Auto-off HTC 4G problem

Journeyman

Overheat and Auto-off HTC 4G problem

I am very angry with the auto-off and overheat problem of  the HTC EVO 4g.

I've taken several times to the Sprint service store and they not been able to fix the problem.

I have been with sprint seen the first Palm Treo but now I just counting the days to cancel my service because anyone could help me solve the problem of a faulty phone.

My experience with the Evo 4G has been that there is a defective line of production and mine is one of these.  

I have witnessed customers visiting the store with the same problem as me and all the HTC and Sprint forums talk the same subject.

The question is why Sprint does not do a HTC Evo 4g recall from a defective production line?

If anyone can help me?

19 REPLIES 19
GrandMaster

its possible it might be a battery issue. does anyone notice the LED blinking amber and green before the phone reboots or shuts down? thats the over heating indication. if not then something else is causing it to happen rapdily. also something i noticed...the battery life widget uses quite a bit of battery even though it says it doesnt lol. i got rid of it and gained roughly another hour of life.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I have noticed this too.  Unfortunately I can't say as to whether it  was introduced with the recent 2.3.3 update, or is an issue with my  replacement (new; 0004; not refurb) phone. I never upgraded my old  device to 2.3.3. I was forced to replace it due to a hardware failure  just after the update rolled out.  The replacement came preloaded with  GB (gee, thanks).

It happens with the wall charger and with the [HTC official] car  dock.  Simply charging while the screen on is enough to cause it.   Within five minutes of connecting, the battery is at overheat status.  Amber/green alternating flash.  According to the device, the battery temperature in this condition reaches around 51 C (~124 F) in a room temperature environment.

Strange thing is, it doesn't happen every time. In fact, I've  found that when this happens, I can disconnect the charger, shut the  screen off, and often successfully charge (screen on, apps running)  after the device and battery have cooled down (without rebooting).

I'm at the point where I can usually tell whether or not it's  going to happen by watching the battery stats.  I've found that if the  temperature begins to climb rapidly upon connect (for me it's an upward  rate of about 4 C per min), I might as well go ahead and unplug, because  it's not going to be charging in a few minutes anyway.

Also, it seems unlikely to be an issue with the battery.  I kept the one  from my old phone (which never exhibited this problem), and overheat  occurs just as frequently using it.

Sprint/HTC really needs to look into this before something unfortunate  happens. Catastrophic failure of Li-ion batteries can do a lot of damage.  Repeated/excessive heat is among the top cause of such failures.  If  you continually tease a Li-ion, it will eventually bite you.

I would advise anyone having this problem to check  your batteries daily for signs of swelling, fatigue, discoloration, etc. I would also urge those with this problem to contact the U.S.  Consumer Product Safety Commission to file a report.

GrandMaster

if you think about it..if the battery was 105 degrees or even the 125 degrees the heat spreads to other things right? if the temp was actually that hot in there it would also fry things like the cercuits and so on. dunno but personally i still think its something faulty inside giving off false signals. especially after seeing all the different ways these phones mess up. has anyone in here takin it to a repair center and had them run it to see whats goin on?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I've had this happen once and Sprint told me that it was because I used a "non HTC" charger that universal chargers don't charge the same blah blah blah but havent' had issues since with it and use a variety of chargers with it.  I don't think I've every used my actual HTC charger, it's too short.

Wizard

I think that this might be an updated software issue.  I have used my phone as GPS in a Sprint dock nearly everyday.  Now I'm getting overheat and reboot problems pretty frequently after the update.  Maybe the "battery discharge" fix included a bug that causes the battery to overheat?  At any rate, I hope this is looked at by HTC/Sprint soon.....along with the dozens of other really irritating issues like the HTC screen after exiting some apps. yeesh that's annoying....even the almighty Evo3D does it.

GrandMaster

i only use the htc charger at home. it might be shorter but it charges MUCH faster than the other ones.

Journeyman

You must have the first gen.Evo ( like i do )they are going to have to replace it . the phone is great but the frist gen . have problems . my brother had to replace his ... now i have to replace mine ican't do any thing with my phone not even make call it keeps rebooting now. (pain in my tookess)

Journeyman

I am not sure if this is a phone issue, an app issue, or a software issue, But My phone keeps randomly restarting itself, I have done a Hard reset, and it still does it, even does it when I'm not doing anything... I told my dad, but he resist to take me to sprint, to see if it is a hardware issue and see about getting a replacement, I hope that I can bribe my mom to take me to sprint some time this week, its getting to a point where I can't do anything on my phone with out it rebooting, starting to get really really annoying...I haven't noticed any amber/green lights, when it reboots, I might also add, that I am running the extended battery, that I bought from the sprint store, but it can't be an issue with the battery, because It has restarted itself while running on the original battery,... I hope that it is an issue with my phone and not a app, some of the apps i have used since i bought my phone, but I have had a replacement for my cracked camera, back in january, but the replacement that I got was, stuck on boot loop after I opened the market for the first time, had this phone since then and no problems till about the 20th of this month...

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat