cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please fix voice to text!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please fix voice to text!!

Ever since gingerbread, the voice to text will only work if you are in an almost completely silent environment.  Most use this while driving to make things safer (ie texting).

Now you can no longer use this function if there is the slightest bit of external noise, such as road noise, the sound of the AC blowing, etc. The phone will keep responding that no voice was heard and to speak loudly, yet I'm even yelling into the mic  and it won't work. This was NEVER an issue before.

89 REPLIES 89
Highlighted
Journeyman

Amen! Please fix.

It rains, no voice-to-text.

Highlighted
Wizard

+1

This is a serious issue and is ridiculous.  I do hope the powers that be actually see this post.  I can't believe no one else is seeing this issue!!!!  Although after the latest patch this AM with 651.1 software, mine appears to be marginally better, but its still bad.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

from what i have seen of people posting it still doesnt work in a car while driving

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Voice Search still does not work when there is any background noise (car, airport, mall).  The mainternance update had no effect at all.  This worked perfectly before-  It only work in a very quiet environment now.  This needs to be fixed!  It is one of the reasons why I bought the phone and switched to Sprint.

Wizard

This has been reported by other customers too and is being investigated by Sprint and HTC.  I will post new information as soon as it becomes available.    

Highlighted
GrandMaster

is there any special reason my post got rejected since it didnt say anything bad? just curious.

trying it again since i fail to see why it got rejected.

"to be honest i have never really used it much. it was rare that it even came remotely close to what i said...so i didnt bother. maybe i was doing something wrong or had to calibrate it or something. heck if i know. "

^^^ was there REALLY anything wrong with that post?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Wizard

I think someone reported it as abuse...with a comment that it didn't assist in resolving the issue. 

Back to the topic of the post...

darnatl sent me a private message with additional details and also provided the following which could be used as a workaround:

When it works, the mic shows full  sound waves.  When it does not work,  the mic show no sound waves or if  you scream into the phone, it may show  1/2 - 1 bar, but eventually it  displays: no speech heard.

At a Sprint repair store, the tech  suggested I try Vlingo Virtual  Assistant app.  I did and although more  cumbersome to use, it does work  with or without background noise.  It  works in situations where Voice  Search use to work but no longer does.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the Vlingo suggestion. It appears to work fine. Be aware the voice-to-text translation takes place at Vlingo, not Google. At least it used to. So, if you give Vlingo a spin it may take a little use for accuracy to reach Froyo levels.

I used, and purchased, Vlingo when back when I got my Evo because Evo only did voice search. I needed voice-to-text to do texting and emails because of a disability that prevents me from typing at times. I'm glad to see Vlingo no longer requires it's on-screen keyboard to use its voice-to-text.

Please keep us informed of any resolution to this broken major feature of Android as delivered by Sprint/HTC.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can attest to voice recognition not working properly.  Both voice to text in messaging and email(via voice button on keyboard) plus any kind of google voice search does not work properly.

I tested with my wife in the car and for us the following occurs:

If going >20mph all voice functionality works fine although not nearly as accurate as before.  Background noise did not seem to matter too much unless it was overwhelming.

If <=20mph no voice funcationlity works at all.  It does not matter if it is completely silent or not you get no voice recognition of any kind and eventually a message saying no voice input detected.

Voice to text used to work perfectly and was invaluable to me.  I NEED IT BACK SO PLEASE FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Wizard

dshoem01 wrote:

This has been reported by other customers too and is being investigated by Sprint and HTC.  I will post new information as soon as it becomes available.    

Thanks for the update.  It's good to hear its being investigated. 

Also, careful with Vlingo, it runs in the background constantly and zaps battery life!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is there an ETA for this Fix? I was told to take my phone to the nearest service center. I do not think that is going to help. This is clearly a software issue. Can you download to lastest Google voice search?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat