cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please fix voice to text!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please fix voice to text!!

Ever since gingerbread, the voice to text will only work if you are in an almost completely silent environment.  Most use this while driving to make things safer (ie texting).

Now you can no longer use this function if there is the slightest bit of external noise, such as road noise, the sound of the AC blowing, etc. The phone will keep responding that no voice was heard and to speak loudly, yet I'm even yelling into the mic  and it won't work. This was NEVER an issue before.

89 REPLIES 89
Highlighted
Journeyman

The update of voice search in the market will do nothing toward correcting the problem. I'm not sure what that update was for, but definitely not the fix needed. Go to the market and leave a comment stating HTC Evo and gingerbread update, so at least someone with Google will see the complaints there also. There are quite a few Evo owners who have posted the issue there. Hopefully it will further our plight in getting it fixed quickly.

It was rumored the last update of Google maps had something to do with creating this problem. Some have reportedly uninstalled the updates and it started working, but I have a hard time believing this, plus I tried it and made no difference.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just a question, have you checked in settings ,Voice Input and Output Voice Recognition settings check mark Personalized recognition?  Mine is checked and so fsr works well

Highlighted
Journeyman

+1 on this!  I am almost wondering if it is a new "safety feature".  Like maybe now it won't allow you to do STT if the accelerometer or the GPS detects you're in a moving vehicle   I hope this isn't the case.  I have literally SHOUTED into the mic and it says no speech is detected.  But if I am at a red light, even with the windows down and lots of noise, it will work.  It only seems to not work when I am actually moving.  Grrrr!

Highlighted
Journeyman

For me, it seems to be mainly background noise. I have  learned a simple means of testing it.  I  will try it in my living room.   It works.  I walk outside.  It works.  I  walk next to my running a/c unit (kind of like white backgound  noise).  It does not work.  I walk  away.  It works again.  I walk next  to a busy road.  It does not work.   When it works, the mic shows full  sound waves.  When it does not work,  the mic show no sound waves or if  you scream into the phone, it may show  1/2 - 1 bar, but eventually it  displays: no speech heard.  If my car is running at all, it does not work and it did before the update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It appears this is going to come down to simple matthematics.  Voice Search thread - 515 views and 15 comments.  Compass thread - 5572 views and 47 comments.  Compass appears to be fixed.  Voice Search will probably not get fixed anytime soon.

My two evos are still under warranty.  Has anyone gotten a new evo since gingerbread.  If so, are they coming with Gingerbread installed. 

I guess I need to make a choice - swap out my two, six month old,  pristine condition phones for refurbished one that may or may not work.  Or, do like the sprint tech at the store suggested and root my phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

GB can't yet be rooted.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, I know. I have never really wanted to root my phone but it also cannot be rolled back.  I would root it to roll it back.  I guess it would boil down to the benefits of Gingerbread vs a phone that worked correctly.

I have found that Vlingo does work for simple voice command (Call John, Text John, Email John) but it is not as precise for more complex things like composing the body of texts or emails. Voice Search use to just work well for both.  Vlingo does seem to speak recieved texts and emails really well though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would tryclearing data in settings applications and also make sure you have personalized recognition checked under settings voice input and output.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have researched this problem ad naseum for almost two weeks.  I  have tried every suggestion about possible fixes and none of them work,  trust me.  The fix is going to have to come from Sprint, HTC, and/or  Google.  I am not saying this to end the discussion.  Please, if you  have other suggestion, I am willing to be the guinea pig.  I will try  anything.

What has been suggested, tried, and does not work to fix this problem:

1. Clear Data

2. Enable Personalized Recognition

3. Take battery out

4.  Disable fast boot

5. Take to Sprint Repair tech to roll back to 2.2 (can't be done)

6. Hard reset

7. Uninstall/Reinstall Voice Search (can't be done)

8. Install Google Voice/Uninstall Google Voice (different app)

9 Try Vlingo - Works but cumbersome to use, not precise for complex tasks like composing text/emails.

10. Wait for maintenance release - no change

11. Update Voice Search to 2.14 - no effect

12. Uninstall Google Map Update/Reinstall Google Map Update

13. Uninstall Maps update, clear Music data, clear Voice Search data

There may be others, but I have a headache now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry to hear, not that its any consolation, but other problems also continue:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/70838

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have noticed the same thing but I believe it may be a tire noise related issue with the noise canceling mic.  My car is very quiet by any standard but I still cannot use any voice commands over 35 MPH.  I can "sort of" get it to work my smashing my finger against the mic and covering it up but that isn't a fix and isn't a hands free method what so ever.  It really doesn't make sense to force people to pick up their phone, touch, and look at it now while driving.  Before I was able to use my phone complete hands and eyes free with the use of "Vlingo In Car".  Now Google voice search and Vlingo are completely useless while in a moving vehicle.  Using the Google voice input method shows absolutely no microphone input and switching to the Vlingo microphone input method shows the microphone maxed out and red in color.  Neither will work whatsoever when traveling over 35 MPH in any vehicle I have tried it in.  There are 8 Evos at my workplace and NONE of them will work any longer in a moving vehicle.  Obviously this is a software issue and not limited to just a few people.  Vlingo was invented for safety reasons while driving.  It doesn't make sense to force it not to work while moving but then again I have seen some pretty stupid moves by corporate decision makers in my life. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

The whole thing is bizzare. One could argue it is an issue related to speed and movement while driving, but I did not see the GPS icon while this is occurring. It has to be a mic sensitivity issue, but I can get it to work in environments slightly (at least in my opinion) louder than the cabin of my car going down the road. But, even when it does work, its not as accurate as it used to be.

Very frustrating to say the least. Its funny, you can read the issues that Sprint and HTC cause with phones, but unless it is something specific you really value, you don't care that much. For instance, the broken links in folders...I couldn't care less about that, but I feel their pain now that I have something not working which was a really valuable function.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat