cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please fix voice to text!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please fix voice to text!!

Ever since gingerbread, the voice to text will only work if you are in an almost completely silent environment.  Most use this while driving to make things safer (ie texting).

Now you can no longer use this function if there is the slightest bit of external noise, such as road noise, the sound of the AC blowing, etc. The phone will keep responding that no voice was heard and to speak loudly, yet I'm even yelling into the mic  and it won't work. This was NEVER an issue before.

89 REPLIES 89
Highlighted
Journeyman

I would agree that the problem is not speed related.  Mine will not work while stationary with the air conditioning running.  However when it works it has been very accurate.

Highlighted
Wizard

fyoosh wrote:

+1 on this!  I am almost wondering if it is a new "safety feature".  Like maybe now it won't allow you to do STT if the accelerometer or the GPS detects you're in a moving vehicle   I hope this isn't the case.  I have literally SHOUTED into the mic and it says no speech is detected.  But if I am at a red light, even with the windows down and lots of noise, it will work.  It only seems to not work when I am actually moving.  Grrrr!

yes, I tested this yesterday and it seems to work at a standstill but not moving.  Sure that might be a "safety feature" when your driving, but good thing no one ever rides in a car, bus, etc. and uses their voice search.  They've turned the best feature of this phone off by doing this.  Guess we all will have to go back to texting and driving the old fashioned way.  WATCH OUT PEDESTRIANS!!!

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i must be doing something wrong cuz mine is usually off by a mile on what i actually say lol. tried doing the voice command for calling someone and or texting them and it still buggers up. any useful hints on how to opperate it?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'd like to put another vote in for prioritizing this! This is an important, often used feature of the platform that has been rendered basically useless by the update, and I would like to see it fixed asap.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have personalized checked under settings voice input.  I hold the phone about a foot or a little less away from me and it is accurate 99% of the time.  Of course in my car standing still with the air running, it would hardly pickup anything and accuracy was next to nil when it did.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i was messing with it last night at home and it was all over the place. example " send text to brandee. whats sounds good for dinner"... it puts all of it as the message with no send to.  it hears it fine but im at a loss on how to get it to do all the things the dang video showed it can do.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Just tried telling to send text with message and email with message got recipient and message correct all times??

Highlighted
GrandMaster

disreguard. i was trying it under voice search through google. it lets you send a text or call someone all through voice.

as for just doing it as a voice to text message yah..was messing with that as well at home and half the messages were on the money...the others were out in left field somewhere lol. had background noise goin on but nothing major.

Highlighted
Journeyman

No I was using Google voice by long holding the mag glass.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Interesting, just got an update from Android Market for Voice Search - the second update this week.  This version is 2.1.4.2267kb.  I installed 2.14 update earlier this week when it came out.  The update just list bug fixes.  Haven't tried it yet with any background noise.  But I hope this fixes the issue.  Anyone else get the update?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I have been talking about the one which was installed on the phone not the app available in the market, but hope that one works for you.  They need to fix the preinstalled app on the phone.

Highlighted
Wizard

DACBETH02 wrote:

Well I have been talking about the one which was installed on the phone not the app available in the market, but hope that one works for you.  They need to fix the preinstalled app on the phone.

Its the same app.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat