cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please fix voice to text!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please fix voice to text!!

Ever since gingerbread, the voice to text will only work if you are in an almost completely silent environment.  Most use this while driving to make things safer (ie texting).

Now you can no longer use this function if there is the slightest bit of external noise, such as road noise, the sound of the AC blowing, etc. The phone will keep responding that no voice was heard and to speak loudly, yet I'm even yelling into the mic  and it won't work. This was NEVER an issue before.

89 REPLIES 89
Highlighted
Wizard

Very true - they keep a tight lid on releases from us.  Obviously we can't be going around spreading rumors and dates for possible releases for multiple reasons.  We usually don't get the word until the day of the release, and if we do know before hand, it would cost us our jobs to release that info...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Still broken, Hello Sprint? Is there an ECD for this?

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

This is still very much an issue. On my EVO 3G, the voice to text feature worked very well prior to the most recent update.

After that update, it appears as if the microphone is many times more sensitive to background noise. As a result, one must be in a room where the only sound is the voice of the user. Now it is pretty much useless which is a shame because this is one of the Android phone's best features.

Just to give you an idea, it used to be no problem at all to dictate to the phone in a car while driving down the road and having air conditioning on full. Under those conditions my EVO could tell the difference between the noise and my voice. Maybe it would occasionally require one or two to retakes.

However, now it never gets it right. I have tried as many as five or six or more retakes before finally giving up. This is a change that occurred directly after the last major update. I'm quite certain of this because of the marked change in the phone's performance with regards this feature.

This has also been tried by me in other background noise situations.  The phone just can't get it right anymore.  It's incredibly frustrating.  You can say I bought this phone for this feature and you would be far off.

I really really really do not want to wait several months until the next major update before this gets fixed. This would be fine for some sort of new feature or enhancement but it is totally unacceptable when having to wait for Sprint to fix something they wrecked.

One could also see where sprint might want to be quiet about a major release in most cases until the date is released.  Again, however, this is something that was working perfectly fine before Sprint monkeyed it up. So there really should be a high degree of transparency with regards to how this issue will be fixed and exactly when we could expect its earliest release.  Otherwise, you end up with a portion of the user base that is sort of stuck in time and I can see how that would be a good idea.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Two and a half months later, it is finally fixed!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Two and a half months later, it is finally fixed!

OKEY - so what is the fix??????  where? when? or how? and please tell me it will fix the issue while DRIVING!!!   telling us its fixed without anything is pointless to all of us who on this forum are already pissed it took this long....with a numerous reports on fixes that don't really work.   just saying!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

The update works and Voice Search now works again in real world situations - car, noisy airport, mall, etc.  To really challenge it in the car, I turned my a/c on high, turned the radio up loud, opened the windows, and it worked perfectly!

PS:  You do know Sprint rolled out an update last week that is showing up in phases, right?  Update is dated either 8/18/11 or /8/23/11.  That is what fixed Voice Search.  Find info about it elsewhere in the sprint evo forum. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat