Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor 4G Network Reception on My HTC EVO

Highlighted
Journeyman

Poor 4G Network Reception on My HTC EVO

Half of the time my HTC EVO does not pick up 4G connection. I am in the Chicago area and can't believe I am getting such poor 4G network reception. Is there some setting I have not turned on. I have downloaded the speedtest by Ookla application and my phone always rates very low scores even at 4G and when I do a search for my server I am always connected to some server 100+ miles away. My friends HTC 4G phone from Verizon runs at double the download and upload speeds. Does anyone have the same problem?   

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

It depends on where you are in relation to the towers.  The 4g signal diminishes the further you are inside buildings,( I know its a pain ), but you can try getting close to an outside wall preferably not brick.  You can call Sprint and give them your location and see if they have any insight, good luck.  Rick

Highlighted
Journeyman

I live in San Francisco and the 4G is spotty here at best. Whenever I'm on Youtube or browsing the Internet via my EVO, it'll get disrupted each time the phone flip flops from 3G to 4G. What's odd, is sometimes, I get better performance from 3G than I do when my phone is on 4G! It's as if there are too many data hiccups when my phone is on 4G. I dunno. That's my feedback reporting from San Francisco.

Highlighted
Journeyman

4G coverage and reception in Chicago is awful.  I live and work downtown.  The 4G signal is very strong in certain blocks in the loop.  I lose it completely once I get west of the train stations (the outer edge of the loop).  Basically, coverage is spotty at best and the phone will spend the rest of the time burning through battery looking for the 4G signal (if you keep the 4G on).  I don't even enable the 4G anymore.  Unfortunately, Sprint's 3G download speeds stink on ice.  Glad I got that Evo.  Really able to take advantage of it - not.  I know that Clear provides the 4G (WiMax) coverage in Chicago, but they must have some kind of service level agreement with Sprint that they are NOT MEETING.  Now that HTC has a comparable phone on other networks, I'm not recommending Sprint to anyone anymore.  A cheaper plan isn't a cheaper plan when it doesn't offer you what they advertise.  Any "everything data" plan isn't an everything data plan if they charge you another $10 for data when you have a smart phone.  Just saying....

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is the same issue here in Seattle which was one of the original launch cities, coverage is spotty and very seldom do you get full bars. You have to be outdoors and not moving to get any practical use out of it. All the other cell companies seem to be going with LTE for their 4G data and I have heard that Sprint has been looking into a partnership with a company called Light Squared that is supposed to be building a 4g LTE network, I really hope that Sprint will end up with LTE also because the current 4G network is my only real complaint with my service. I have a friend that has Verizon's HTC 4G phone also and LTE kicks butt over WiMax.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am in the Chicago area as well, and I get spotty 4G reception.  I must say that it is better than 1 year ago, and when I get 4G reception, it is amazing, but I often get 3G only. Clearwire, please boost the WiMax Network in the Chicago Area!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

i'm in vegas. 4g here. i try and watch half or 1 hour shows and pretty much can't make it through ANY full show without losing

my connection.3g or 4g. people at the sprint store say i shouldn't expect to watch anything longer than a 4 or 5 minute utube video.

Highlighted
Journeyman

People at your Sprint store are probably talking based on experience.  In the Metro/St.Louis area I have never had a 4g signal with more than 1 bar, ever.

My signal is pretty much based on where I have my phone, but moving with my phone is never an option if I want a 4g signal.  I don't like that streaming online video is broken if the phone does switch from 4g to 3g...gets annoying. The weather plays a big part on the 4g part.

I thought the CTIA ( or whatever it's called ) event unveiled a 4g Booster device...but I've not yet heard of it being offered.  Surprised being as this would add even more money to Sprint...which seems is their main focus ( where can we add charges next ).

Guy at work has the mytouch 4g...INCLUDED HOTSPOT IS FREE( so not to confuse...NO EXTRA CHARGE ), but he can only connect 2 devices.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat