cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random EVO death & recovery? Cause?

Journeyman

Last night my EVO died and wouldn't turn on. It wouldn't take a charge (no LED light at all) and it wouldn't power on in any sense of the word-- not even a startup screen, nothing. It was pretty much a $600 paperweight. Needless to say I was not too thrilled.

I assumed the battery was wacky, and lo and behold, when I looked at this forum and other online support sites, many Q&A threads seemed to support my theory. I guessed the battery had gone kaput or something. For most owners with this problem, replacing the battery or somehow getting the battery to hold a charge was the issue, not the hardware/software/OS/whatever else.

However, most of these random weird battery problems that I read about occurred when the battery was at very very low life-- below 10%. When my EVO randomly died, it was above 50% battery life. It just... died. One minute I was using it, the next, I pulled it out of my purse and... it was dead. No response. Nothing! I was like, seriously? Really? Ughhh.

The phone's alive again now. I began by using the charger cord that came with my original phone and not the weird Chinese charger that Asurion gave me after my first EVO was stolen. (That charger is going in a drawer somewhere now. I am not sure if I trust it.) It took a few tries and a few minutes to get the phone to turn on again, but eventually, it did, and when it did, it started to charge again... and not a second before. Not sure how the charger made the difference, but I guess it did. I am still wondering why in the world the phone/battery/whatever died in the first place, though. It's not a happy thought to know that my phone has just randomly died and could do so again at any moment.

What could cause an issue like this, and how can I avoid it in the future? Perhaps just avoiding that charger could do the trick? Maybe the battery is on its last leg and I should get a new one (the phone's a refurb from Asurion that I've had for a week or so, so I wouldn't be thrilled about that, either)? Maybe a certain app or type of app is notorious for doing something like this and I should avoid it?

Please share any knowledge if you can! Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Master

Normally phone does not automatically go into recovery mode. Most likely phone software may have been corrupted through 3rd pty apps download. If the phone does not come on through normal reboot. You need to use the Phone keys to perform device refresh through complete factory reset. When you do device reset you'll loose all info.

Steps to complete reset through Hardware keys

A.REMOVE AND RE-INSERT THE BATTERY.

B.PRESS AND HOLD THE POWER AND VOLUME DOWN KEY UNTIL BOOT SCREEN APPEARS.

C. ONCE SCREEN APPEARS, SCROLL DOWN USING VOLUME KEYS AND SELECT CLEAR STORAGE (Factory Reset on the Shift) BY PRESSING THE POWER KEY.

D.PRESS VOLUME UP KEY TO CONFIRM RTN, PRESS VOLUME DOWN TO CANCEL

Journeyman

abe2020 wrote:

Normally phone does not automatically go into recovery mode. Most likely phone software may have been corrupted through 3rd pty apps download. If the phone does not come on through normal reboot. You need to use the Phone keys to perform device refresh through complete factory reset. When you do device reset you'll loose all info.

C. ONCE SCREEN APPEARS, SCROLL DOWN USING VOLUME KEYS AND SELECT CLEAR STORAGE (Factory Reset on the Shift) BY PRESSING THE POWER KEY.

He never said anything about his phone booting into the recovery menu.  Actually read the post next time, Abe.

Yes, known issue on the Evo, something that they seem to have been unable to correct with software.  Most of the time, yes, it's when the battery gets very very low or is allowed to die completely, but I have also seen it happen at other intervals.  Either way, replacing the battery or charging up the battery externally (not in the phone) will fix it for ya.

Journeyman

I could never get your solution to work abe2020 to reset my phone.  Not sure how everyone else did, but I never could.

Journeyman

SpencerHawkins45822 wrote:

I could never get your solution to work abe2020 to reset my phone.  Not sure how everyone else did, but I never could.

With the phone off, gotta hold the volume down button first and then press and hold the power button until the HBOOT screen pops up

GrandMaster

oddly enough the stock evo charger and cable puts out quite a bit of juice compared to alot of the other cords. with that said i have another cord at home that that even though it shows it is charging its actually slowly draining my battery. it can keep it powered enough to use it while charging but soon as you unplug it its pretty much dead in the water. i have also seen quite a few cords that have a short in them. some cause the touch screen to go all whacky.. others ground out the phone and cause it to give false readings. do i know how or why? nope. the 3rd cord i have will actually charge the phone...but takes FOREVER compared to the stock one. since the one they offer on the sprint site looks just like the one i have that takes forever to charge my phone i wont be buying that one.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Master

Re: Random EVO death & recovery? Cause?

SpencerHawkins45822 -Try this steps.It will work.

To reset the device using the device keys:

1. With the device turned off, press and hold the volume down button (located at the right panel of the device), and then press the power button. 2. When the device’s display turns on, release the volume down button. 3. Use the volume buttons to select CLEAR STORAGE, and then press the power button. (All data will be deleted from the device).

Abe

Wizard

Re: Random EVO death & recovery? Cause?

Also Abe, Why would you ever, EVER give these instructions without Warning people that they will lose all personal information, settings, apps and data that is not backed up? Very irresponsible for someone with a Sprint logo on their member info.  As onewhoknows stated, it was not clear that this last resort option needed to be used for this particular issue.

Also, stock EVO chargers, like iPhone chargers are 1 volt, compared to many others phone chargers which are rated at half that.

onewhoknows wrote:

abe2020 wrote:

He never said anything about his phone booting into the recovery menu.  Actually read the post next time, Abe.

Sprint Employee

Hello tikit, Which software version do you have? some older versions of software will allow battery to drain beyond a usable threshold, preventing phone from recharging the battery. there are a variety of conditions which may cause higher than normal battery drain. low signal strength, application conflicts, apps not responding, GPS, bluetooth, wifi, 4G, pop/imap email accounts to name some more common. Has it happened again since the last time you posted? to optimize battery life, I suggest disable features while not in use (GPS, bluetooth, wifi, 4G), exit apps when you have finished using them (most apps press back arrow until it's gone, some apps have exit option in their menu), if you have task killers/security software remove them, consider using juice defender, for pop/imap email accounts consider lengthening the auto receive /email check frequency. If the problem is persistent, and you would like to see if it is a problem with the device, or just apps/settings consider the complete factory reset, and remember to backup your data since it's mentioned above that when you do reset the device you'll lose all info. 

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

MGman61 wrote:

Also Abe, Why would you ever, EVER give these instructions without Warning people that they will lose all personal information, settings, apps and data that is not backed up? Very irresponsible for someone with a Sprint logo on their member info.  As onewhoknows stated, it was not clear that this last resort option needed to be used for this particular issue.

Actually he did - he said "When you do device reset you'll loose all info."

But readers may have been confused, thinking their info would then be loosed somewhere lmao

Master

MGman61- I hope you can read and understand the post- I clearly mentioned in the post "When you do device reset you'll loose all info"

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat