Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Restarts

Highlighted
Patron

Random Restarts

Hello,

My phone is constantly rebooting itself. It seems to happen especially when the battery gets hot. Above 95 degrees Fahrenheit. But other times, it will happen randomly when I am not using the phone.

I have never dropped this phone in water or on the ground.Ever since this started, it seems to be getting worse with each day.

I know that it can't be the battery that I have as I have two backup batteries and the same thing is happening with them.

Are there any fixes for this? Or just trade in for a new phone at Sprint store?

Thanks, th3gh05t

12 REPLIES 12
Wizard

Random Restarts

th3gh05t,

I'm sorry you're having issues. Since it's happening when the battery isn't hot and you're not even using the device it can still be a possible software related issue, but just to rule software as the cause out I would suggest possibly a hard reset on the phone. Doing a hard reset will wipe all personal information and settings, including your contacts, make sure you back up your information. Applications such as SMS Backup & restore, astro file manager, or even the total equipment protection (TEP) application will back up your information. The steps for resetting the phone are listed below though or if you would like I can send you a private message to gather some information and walk you through this over the phone.

From the home screen go to Menu.

Then go to settings.

After that you want to select factory data reset, which will be under SD & Phone storage usually.

*Note if it's not under SD & Phone storage it can be under security/privacy listing as well.

Once selecting factory data reset it will pop up a notification indicating erasing all personal information etc.

More than likely if after performing a hard reset the phone continues to randomly restart than there is probably going to be a hardware issue in which case we will need to try to get you into a Sprint Repair location for further assistance.

Patron

Random Restarts

Hello Shane,

Thank you so much for your response!

I'll give a hard reset a try and let you know what happens. That is, if I can even get into the phone long enough to do so.

Every reboot allows me maybe 45-60 seconds of time on the phone before it reboots again.

Do most Sprint stores have a repair location? I have the "Total Equipment Protection" plan and would like to use that if possible.

Thanks, th3gh05t

Patron

Random Restarts

I've done a hard reset and the phone seems to be stable. I will report back later today or this week to let you know about performance.

Thank you very much for your time!

Journeyman

Random Restarts

I had the same issue with random reboots and it was attributed to the battery. I used my higher capacity Hero battery when I got my EVO. My EVO would randomly reboot and especially if it jossled the phone too hard. I switched it to the red EVO battery and my phone has never restarted. ALSO, cheap car chargers will also over heat the battery as it did with mine. I had a ghetto charger, over heat, killed my battery. Bought a 1amp charger and haven't had any issues.

GrandMaster

Random Restarts

wtf. i was told all car chargers put out the same amp?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Patron

Random Restarts

I have 3 of the original "red" HTC EVO batteries and this issue happens with all of them.

My phone has been up since 2:10pm PST and has not had restarts after a "hard reset".

Journeyman

Re: Random Restarts

I had that problem and its a software glitch that caused me to get another only to get a replacement for my replacement 2 days later and had no trouble since.

This is what I did I called CS and they ordered a replacement and it came in two buisness days.

Got the replacement and mailed my first one off then the phone started doing crazy stuff 1 hr later until  night time it powered off didn't come back on for 6 hr.

Called CS on the way to the sprint store(used my sons metroPCS trash Phone), Tech looked at it and he couldn't get it to come back to life so he gave me a brand New Evo out

the box have had no problems what so ever since and that was 3 months ago.

Patron

Random Restarts

I decided to start to "use" my phone again. I sent some text messages, and placed a phone call.

My phone restarted itself and it seems like the "hard reset" did not work. I'm going to take it in to a Sprint Store today.

Thanks, th3gh05t

Journeyman

Random Restarts

Mine still restarts even after a hard reset.  It does it when i use the phone constantly for a period of time.  I can consistently cause the reboot cycle if I try to watch a Netflix movie.  After about 30 minutes it will do down.  When this happens the battery temp consistently reads around 105F.  That is moderately hot but should not cause the phone to fail.  My thinking is there is a defect in some of the phones that causes the hardware to overheat and shutdown.  My wife has the exact same EVO as me (we bought them the same day) and she has never had this problem.

Anyone from Sprint willing to comment?

GrandMaster

Random Restarts

do you see the LED blinking red and green at the top before this happens? ive had it happen while playing a game and charging. but when i checked the highest it has ever registered was mid to upper 80's. never had it reboot on me though.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Random Restarts

No blinking LED, just immediate shut down while in the middle of using the phone.  The scenarios in which it has happend to me:

Watching movie on Netflix app (charging and unplugged)

Using Navigator in my car (charging and unplugged)

Trying to re-download all my apps after a hard reset (happened last night)

Just trying to read email while outside on a hot day

The common threads in all of these scenarios are

1. the display was on constantly

2. heavy data usage (either thru gps, 4g or wireless) except for the time I was outside on a hot day

3. battery temp was around 105F each time it occurred.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat