cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove unwanted Sprint pre-installed apps with App Manager

Highlighted
Journeyman

I released to the market today an "App Manager/Bloat Remover" mainly for the EVO to remove any Sprint/HTC pre-installed apps or any other app. The App Manager can backup, restore, install, uninstall any app on your phone, no root required. There is no other app manager on the market that doesnt require root. You can remove all the "junk" from your phone like Amazon MP3, Sprint Football/Nascar..... ect. When you remove it, the manager automatically backs up an uninstalled app to the sdcard so you can reinstall it later. Once you remove an app it will stop running in the background constantly draining your battery. Right now I am only supporting the EVO 4G for non rooted phones, but any rooted phone can use it.

Here is the link to it: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.orrebmas.bloatremover or search for "orrebmas" in the market to get to my apps. I found it helpfull to reboot my phone after I install this app manager. Please send me an email if you have any problems or suggestions.

20 REPLIES 20
Journeyman

Can you provide us some more explanation of how your app works. As I understand it, the bloatware is installed as part of the firmware upgrade in ROM.  Can you explain how you remove apps from ROM?

Journeyman

I voluntarily removed the app from the market for now. Some people are having issues with it and I am not sure why, it works perfectly on both my friend's and my phone. I would like to have small group of people to help me test, if you are interested please send me an email to samberro@gmail.com.

Journeyman

I emailed you about this already, but I would consider assisting you with your peoject. My one main concern would be the problems that people are experiencing. Depending on how severe their issues are, I would help. If it is bricking phones or something though...Im sure it cant be anything too serious though, so I would consider.

Wizard

I am very interested in this, but more interested in what the issues people are claiming.  I can't afford a bricked phone yet.  I would just hope that Sprint would take their heads out of the mud and allow us to uninstall all their c.rap without resorting to these other methods.  But that won't happen because they have their pockets lined with cash from these companies. JUST PUT THEM IN THE MARKET UNDER THE SPRINT TAB.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, please update this area with more information as you know it.  I can't wait to rid my phone of the Blockbuster app and its DRM madness that continually runs on my Evo.  not to mention all the other c.rap-ware.

GrandMaster

agreed. i would volunteer but seeing as how this is the only phone i use im kind of stuck with just watching and hoping. what all problems were they having? taking out the ability to remove anything and everything on there and making it so they can just remove the main bloatware was smart. not many (including myself) know what things actually run what.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

The problem they reported is it didn't work for them. They said it didn't remove any pre-installed apps, there are no bricking issues or anything of the sorts. I went ahead and unrooted my phone, updated to the latest firmware/software. The app works fine on my device.

If interested in testing, please send me an email with your gmail account that is linked to the market on your phone (i.e. samberro@gmail.com is the one I use on my phone) so that I can add you as a tester to my dev account.

GrandMaster

i thought you tested it on your friends unrooted evo? now it moves it to your sd card and out of the phone itself correct? or does it just shut it down somehow?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

It works flawlessly on my EVO (rooted and unrooted) and on my buddy's unrooted EVO. This is why I am confused that out of the first 6 downloads, 4 ppl reported it doesnt work!!

The app backs the apks on the sdcard so you can install them again later if you need. That is the backup/restore functionality. The uninstall functionality is broken into two cases. If the app is installed by the user, then it will back it up and then launch the normal uninstall activity on it. If the app is pre-installed, then it will back it up as well and then mask it from the system. It cannot be launched again by the system (wont be running any more) and does not appear in the launcher. Android automatically reclaims the space for it. Since backing up is the first thing it does before "uninstalling" you can restore the app from the "App Vault". Also, to be on the safe side, once you remove one or more pre-installed apps, it will spawn a dialog with a 10 seconds timer asking if the system is stable. If you cannot hit "Yes" or hit "No" the changes will roll back and the system apps will be unmasked. In a case where you removed something critical to the system (like the dialer app) Android will keep trying to launch the now not available app and present a force close dialog. This will prevent you from doing anything on the system. The timer on the dialog will run out and the changes in this case will roll back. I may make a video soon showing what the app does and what not. Its kind of a bummer to see that it didnt work for some at launch.

GrandMaster

are you able to delete them fully once theyre on your sd card or does it keep them there just in case you need to add them back?

Journeyman

You can delete backups from the app vault, but they will be lost forever. You can also pull them from your sdcard to your PC before deleting if you wish..

Journeyman

Im going to keep an eye on your app progress and once its ready I will download it.  If you can get it to work then you are going to make thousands of people happy.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat