cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scratch on screen voids warranty?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Scratch on screen voids warranty?

Not a broken screen, no dead pixels, no cracks. Just literally a scratch on the face of the screen less than an inch long.

I went into sprint repair center because my phone cuts off randomly and wont register my touch in certain places.

I was told I would have to go through insurance and pay $100 dollars (on top of $400 i just paid a little over a month ago) because it voided the warranty.

This seemed crazy to me so after I left I called customer support. The operator transfered me to technical support. After telling technical support what i had been through they tried to troubleshoot my phone. When that didnt work I was transfered to Advanced technical support for a replacement. When I told Advanced technical support the problems I was having, and my experience in the store he literally said "Oh that's a bunch of crap! Let me transfer you to the exchange department because they actually know how to help you as opposed to what you dealt with in store" He said he was going to explain my situation to whomever he transfered me to so that they know what going on. After being on hold for 10 minutes I was transfered to someone who was not infact informed of the situation. After repeating my technical issues and experience in store for the 4th time, I was again told that the scratch voided the warranty and they would not help.

I have been with sprint for 10 years with more phones than i remember and I have never had anyone say that a scratch was a void to the warranty. THe phone is a month old and I am crazy disappointed with my service. I will not be purchasing another thing from sprint and as soon as my contract ends I will be signing with another company.

Has anyone else dealt with this? What did you do?

Message was edited by: ecthomas2

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Scratch on screen voids warranty?

That sounds iffy, I'd stay on their butts about it.

as long as you didn't root the phone you should be able to get it done through warranty.  Just pitch a fit until someone listens.

Master

Your phone has "Physical Damage" to the screen, and wont register your touch in certain places. It is in the TEP terms that any physical damage requires you to go through Asurion.

http://shop.sprint.com/en/services/service_repair/phone_protection_services.shtml

""Loss, theft, physical or liquid damage and resulting corrosion, and fire or lightning damage. File your replacement request within 60 days of incident.""

Visit Asurion at www.phoneclaim.com/sprint

http://shop.sprint.com/en/services/service_repair/phone_protection_services.shtml

Journeyman

A scratch on the screeen should not warrant physical damage. At most it is cosmetic damage. Even if the scratch caused the screen to be unresponsive it surely didnt cause it to turn itself off daily. It was not scratched due to it being dropped or any type of impact, it was scratched by something in my purse the very day that I purchased the phone.

Master

Physical/Cosmetic? Visible damage is visible damage, How does Sprint know that you didn't drop it face down causing the issues your having? Either way it is Sprint's policy to not warrant phones that show "Physical" damage.

Journeyman

I understand what you are saying but there should be some standard. With all that phones can do these days we use them way more often than to just make a phone call. No one is going to keep their phone is prestine condition and warranties should allow for normal wear and tear. This all or nothing policy in outright wrong. Besides, they should at least attempt to fix the software issue beyond taking my battery out and restarting my phone. If phones are going to cost hundreds of dollars they should at least have scratch resistant screens, especially if one scratch destroys my warranty on a 400 dollar phone. Its outragous and unfair. Where is the line drawn? It just does not seem reasonable, and like i said out of all the phones I have had with sprint over the past 10 years, I have never had this issue.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat