cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen raising above the bevel

Highlighted
Journeyman

Screen raising above the bevel

who else is having this problem? is it gonna get worse?

164 REPLIES 164
Highlighted
Journeyman

Possibly.  In fact, hopefully they have pulled the plug on the production line until they can figure this thing out.

I am willing to hold out if Sprint or HTC will say exactly how the plan to remedy this issue.  Relying on the manufaturer's warranty makes me a little nervous.  As I've read, HTC's RMA process can be trying.  I've read plenty of stories sighting long wait times and refurbs, neither of which sounds particularly appealing for a device I bought less than 2 weeks ago.

As the first runs of a product, I expected there would be issues, and indeed I can live with most everything else - but not something as inevitably detrimental as this.  The glass is already coming up to halfway up the left side.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I like this phone allllllot, BUT..

Issues :

- The light leak, I noticed the first night itself, but then thought I was being to picky. On both phones that I noticed the light is leaking below all 4 buttons.

- The botton of the screen is also comparatively higher than the top of the screen. Adehesive issue.

...will wait for a "new batch" to come into the market and exchange mine.

Suggestion :

Not sure if it will be helpful to track "Batch #" and see which batches have the issues ?

It will be nice if HTC/Sprint can track down the "Batch #" and let people know about it, that will save them a lot of effort in exchaning the phones and streamline the exchanges.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had the light leak and some movement of the bottom of the screen on my EVO. I also had very poor wifi reception. I received a replacement phone yesterday from the batch that came in this tuesday. The bottom of the screen is definitely higher than the top of the screen is, but it isn't above the bezel, and the screen is solid. Very little movement, if any. There is no light leakage on this one. Also, my wifi coverage at home is 100% better than my first EVO. It still isn't picking up as strong a signal as my laptops do, but the signal indicator is reasonable, and I'm not getting messages that my connection is dropped anymore. I have noticed that my cell signal is improved at work today also. I have 2 bars instead of the 0-1 I was getting with the old phone. Obviously there were some defective phones/radios in the first batch of phones. Hopefully this one will just hold together at the screen after some use

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm convinced that everyone has some sort of screen seperation issue. My friend just bought an EVO after I demo'd it and made his new blackberry bold look silly and I checked his phone. Sure enough, the bottom edges of the screen aren't flush with the bezel. I think the Sprint stores are going to be very busy on July 3rd if they dont sort this out and come out with some sort of statement. I love this phone and dont want to return it but I will if I have to.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Walmart was also sold out of Evos. I asked if they had any reports/complaints about the screen coming up and they said they haven't had any returns or problems with the screen. I thought the answer was a little rehearsed, like she knew what I was talking about, but no one has come back. This is probably because 97% of consumers won't notice this problem right now, but instead will notice when the screen falls off a few months later.

This issue not being mentioned combined with the current 30fps cap on the phone is really starting to get under my skin.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Engadget posted this:  http://http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/18/htc-has-fix-in-the-works-for-evo-4g-screen-sensitivity-sep...

In other news, still no comment from Sprint.

Journeyman

Just spoke to a Sprint tech today. He brought and read a statement to me. Sprint is aware of this issue and are working on a resolution whether it be a replacement or a repair. He went on to tell me that the new shipment coming in Monday will still have the same problem so it will do no good to get a new one. He said that Spint would let us know when a fix is available and that this is covered under HTC's warranty. So it may be a matter of waiting for new phones that are already fixed or waiting for them to give us the go ahead to take them in for repair. He also said Sprint was trying to get this done as soon as possible as it is a serious pr problem and could have a serious impact on sales of the Evo. He told me I should keep checking with them to see if a solution is available yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Would be nice to see an official statement from Sprint.  I've been provided various pieces of information by Sprint reps/techs over the years... some of it was accurate.  99% of the time, more communication is better than silence & honesty is the best policy. If there were some sort of official statement on the EVO quality defect, it should be posted to the site.  As it stands now... crickets. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Come on Sprint. This is your forum. Please say something. I need to know if I should do something before my 30 days or not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Jun 18, 2010
in response to: WOOLEY59
Re: Screen raising above the bevel

Just spoke to a Sprint tech today. He brought and read a statement to me. Sprint is aware of this issue and are working on a resolution whether it be a replacement or a repair. He went on to tell me that the new shipment coming in Monday will still have the same problem so it will do no good to get a new one. He said that Spint would let us know when a fix is available and that this is covered under HTC's warranty. So it may be a matter of waiting for new phones that are already fixed or waiting for them to give us the go ahead to take them in for repair. He also said Sprint was trying to get this done as soon as possible as it is a serious pr problem and could have a serious impact on sales of the Evo. He told me I should keep checking with them to see if a solution is available yet.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Since he read from a printed statement, it probably came via email from Sprint Corp.  I doubt that the tech would have written a  statement in order to read it to customers.  Everything he says does sound logical. The new shipment of phones were in the pipeline before and "fix"could have been made so they are in the same boat as the fist day sale phones.

The phone is covered by HTC's 1 year warranty and should be covered under their "materials and workmanship" clause.   It will take some time to get the new phones into the pipeline or the repair parts.

Sprint will be our advocate in this as they want to put this behind them as quickly as possible. I'm sure they would prefer the fix would be delivered yesterday.  They also want it fixed correctly and permanantly so this dosen't happen again. Sprint has much to gain by getting this done right the first time and much to loose if it's not.

We all need a break on this one, (this includes Sprint)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Picked up my second EVE today. It is hardware rev. 3. It is worse than the one I returned! I have black electrical tape covering the edges to block all the light leaking. My God, you could use it as a flashlight.  Sprint, hopefully you will jump in here; HTC just announced the glass separation is a "very minor" issue, however, "going forward" they are making changes to the design to attempt to prevent this from happening in future handsets. WHAT ABOUT US??? There is no mention of what is going to be done with tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of units. I love my EVO. But anyone thinks I an going to keep electrical tape on it....WRONG. Also, my screen is above the bezel and dust is living in unreachable places.....and I have had it 5 hours.  I don't know about everyone else, but "very minor", "going forward"?? Any reassurance is desperately need here.  ?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm with you. Minor annoyance is not an appropriate response to this problem as far as I'm concerned. I have two Evo's both of which are having the glass separation problem. I chatted with a Sprint rep about the issue and their advice was to wait a little longer before I replace them. I would like to see some "official" response from Sprint as well. I love the hell outta this phone but, the separation is not acceptable in any way especially since I paid full price for the phone..

I can wait to replace them but, replacing or repairing them is the only option and it has to happen before my 30 days is up or Sprint can just have the defective phones back.

Okay I'm done ranting... and I feel a little better now..lol

I just really want this phone to be the one......

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat