cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen raising above the bevel

Highlighted
Journeyman

Screen raising above the bevel

who else is having this problem? is it gonna get worse?

164 REPLIES 164
Highlighted
Journeyman

BestBuy might have a better return policy, but they also want $599 for the phone, thats a $149 price difference from Sprints $450. I wasn't eligible for an upgrade on my existing account. Had this been an upgrade, I might be more inclined to live with the problem since it was only a $200 phone, but at the full $450 price, I want a good product, not a defective one.

Highlighted
Journeyman

light leakage isnt cosmetic.  It can let grime and dust and dirt get INTO your phone.  Tell them that.  I told you about my conversation with sprint.  You need to back yourself up.  Start calling, tell them you want a properly manufactured phone or you are out to the iphone or whatever floats you boat. Heck, tell them you will go the the press and tell tehm you bought a defective poorly crafted phone and sprint wont fix it.  THESE ARE EXPENSIVE!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sadly it's their word against ours. If they say a legitimate manufacturing defect is actually physical damage or cosmetic, we're SOL. We basically have to prove it or take it up the chain of command.

Message was edited by: rlescaille

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's not a cosmetic issue if it continues to get worse over time resulting in dust under the screen or damage to the phone.

One user on HTC's website has this posted.  If it continues, I sense a class action lawsuit in Sprints & HTC's future.

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr165/anthonyray22/CIMG1856500x333.jpg?t=1276964805

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree about one word vs the other.  Honestly, if one sprint store is hassling you, GO TO ANOTHER!  Obviously sprint is all over the place with policy on this subject.  Again bb has been great letting me return phones and being understanding.  The key is, get a functioning phone before the 30 days is up, otherwise, we are at sprints mercy.  This is my first htc product, and I have only read and heard great things about them up until now.  It's sad, but a class action law suit sounds appropriate, and I am not the suing type of person.  It's only because they really are turning their eyes away from the evo.  It's like they made this unbelievable product, there is a MINOR problem with the majority of hand sets (very fixable), but they don't want to own up to it and are actually getting away from advertizing it.  Crazyness.

Does anyone know, I upgraded with a new 2 year contract, if I return, can I get out of the contract?  I just want to make sure I can do that.  I wish verizon wasnt so darn expensive cuz droid x is looking quite enticing.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So Im conflicted... Ive been with sprint for 8 days. Replaced my evo today because of this screen issue and I knew I would still have the same issue with the new one but i was crosssing my fingers. I havent even had my 2nd evo for 12 hours and its worse then the one I returned. I don't know if I should just suck it up and deal with it. Or return it and try and figure out somewhere else to go. All the stores around me all said they were out of stock also. What I had to do to get this one replaced is right before I walked in I called saying Im a new customer and switching to sprint just wanted to see if the evo was in stock. He said yes went in and the salesman knew once he saw me what happened haha....I really don't want to go back to ATT...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just took my Evo back to get a replacement, they didn't have any in stock, so I said screw it and cancelled my account before the 30 days is up and am happily saving money with my HTC Incredible on Verizon. With no end or solution in sight, I couldn't justify the lesser service/coverage at MORE price. Looking forward to test driving the Droid X and Droid 2.

Good luck with your screens, I hope that HTC fixes them for you guys.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same issue. I had been keeping my Evo in a case, and noticed a dead pixel. I exchanged it (online) and just got my new one sent to me. When I removed the 1st from the case, I noticed really bad light leakage for the first time, under the home and search buttons.

My new Evo has no dead pixels, but is even worse. This time the light leakage is coming down the right side. It almost looks like a small chip in the glass or something - right next to the home button there's a little square of light.

I don't know what to do. I still havent even gotten the RETURN kit for the 1st Evo, and now Im trying to figure out if I should just head to a Sprint store to try and get a 3rd one. I NEVER exchange things, because I understand that nothing is perfect, but for the amount of money I paid to leave AT&T and go to Sprint, I want a quality phone that I'm not constantly worried is going to fall apart.

I have the phone insurance, so Im HOPING that if I let this go beyond 30 days I would still be covered. My 30 days is up July 7th, and I'm really really debating trying one last time to get a good Evo with no light leakage to worry about.

Both phones have been hardware model number 003.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am not a returner, I hate that....but I am getting ready to return my phone tomorrow.

I like the service, but the phones (2 EVO's) that I have are not sturdy. And I do not see these phone lasting for the full contract term. They will break down.

Apart from what this group has already highlighted, just open the back panel of your phone and you'll see dust and stuff that does not below there....imagine what happens in 2 years.

Also, try and apply pressure on the back-center-edge of the phone and you'll see that the left-center-edge rises up - am I being anal ? May be? But, if you take it as constructive criticism, then HTC should consider a few redesigns for this phone.

...but the point is that this is not a sign of a sturdy phone.

fyi...my battery life has improved a fair amount after the update.

Message was edited by: ShaqEVO

Highlighted
Journeyman

Lots of people have Evo phones that are working fine.  My screen is great and fully attached to my phone.  The device is very sturdy.  It looks great and any issues with dust or battery cases it shares with EVERY BlackBerry I have owned (many.)  Too see any light leak on the devices I have, you need to look down into the screen from such a steep angle that you cannot read the screen by the time you see the button's LED glow.

---

That blog post has no links, no facts and is just more online BS.

---

The comments about the phone being sturdy or not are comical.  I do enjoy how everyone becomes a handset design expert.  In case you haven't noticed, the back of the phone is a thin shell of semi-flexible plastic.  It is supposed to remain flexible and thermally insignificant.  Done that way on purpose -- it isn't a load bearing component of the casing.

---

Home repairs of the Evo are best done with Black Silicon Caulk, not super-glue.  You can find some very nice how-to documents online.  A friend of mine had a slight screen lifting and I fixed it with a tiny beed of caulk.  Aside from a couple of popular online complaint photographs, that minor screen lift is the only one I have seen and it was fixed easily (she hates to return things.)

---

Having trouble getting someone at a Sprint Store to help you?  Can't change Sprint Stores?  Another option is to call the Sprint Customer Service line and convince them (being nice helps) to schedule you an exchange at the nearest Sprint Store.  That way, when you get to the store the Sprint person will just do what the computer tells them.  Don't forget to mention your Sprint Premier Customer Status and long time brand loyalty.

Journeyman

I would do a home repair, the only issue is that I've done stuff like that for a phone in the past that had it's glue coming off, so I fixed it. When it came time to sell it, nobody would buy it. I sent it in to an online "seller" and the first thing they did was apply some kind of stripper or something, said the phone was broken and re-glued and sent it back to me.

I can totally see online sellers not purchasing these for the screen issue, and if in 2 years it's even worse, nobody is going to want to buy it. Heck, the reason I picked up the Evo for $450 was because I can sell my Hero for $150, lessening the blow. The Hero is in perfect shape so I don't doubt that I can sell it.

As for the fact that sometimes phones have issues, thats true, and usually I wouldn't be so inclined to care, but I don't think HTC really knows what is going to happen to these screens in the next year. Since some are already progressively worse in 3 weeks, mine included, I think it's going to be a massive recall or fix once they have the method to do so in place.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think people are fooling themselves saying that anyone is going to issue a recall.  The very definition of recall involves a saftey issue.

Define: Recall

A product recall is a request to return to the maker a batch or an  entire production run of a product, usually due to the discovery of safety issues

Sprint may change the policy and inform, via a bulletin, the masses of Sprint Store employees to accept returns and exchanges for HTC Evos.  That would be a policy change over today, but that is not a "mass recall."  If you are hoping for a "mass recall" of the Evo, you are hoping for something that is almost certainly not going to happen.  While it is not a popular position, the screen issue is not a saftey issue and falls into the usability / cosmetics category.

Heck no, it isn't OK but it also isn't a Toyota that is going to kill a few people a week if left on the road.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat