cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen raising above the bevel

Highlighted
Journeyman

Screen raising above the bevel

who else is having this problem? is it gonna get worse?

164 REPLIES 164
Highlighted
Journeyman

Let me clarify, once they have the method and means in place, anyone that comes into the store or calls customer service with this screen issue will be directed to a Sprint repair store to repair the problem. They just don't know how to fix it or are developing a way to train stores on how to fix it. They won't be calling / sending letters to their customers unless someone sues or threatens to.

If this was an iPhone experiencing this issue, there would have already been a lawsuit filed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Saw this posted on HTC's forum just now. This is exactly what I'm doing too until the dust settles.

My advice is to just return it completely and switch back to whatever you had. That's what I am doing. We are left with no other choice. You can always buy it again in a few weeks when stock hopefully replenishes and the newer builds have the issues corrected. HTC completely BOTCHED the launch of this phone. This phone was pivotal in the iPhone vs Android battle and they completely screwed up the phone and the launch. Then they put a cherry on top by bricking phones that actually worked fine with the OTA this week.

Returning to my old phone allows me to step back and see the other phones coming out this month (ie Galaxy S, Droid, etc).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I bought my at Radio Shack.  After 3 weeks it was coming apart, i thought i was crazy until i looked at it with the lights off and saw the light coming through between the case and screen.  I am within 30 days.  I called Sprint, they said call Radio Shack see if they have any.  They did not, so I called Sprint back and they said they would send me a new one.  They were out so they said call back tomorrow.  Even if was going to be after 30 days, it was documented so I was good.  They did not make any excuses or nothing.  Maybe because I was within 30 days or maybe because they know about the issue.  Not sure.  Point is call Sprint and let them know whats happening.  They wont know if you dont call.  Posting on theses boards helps consumers communicate, but does not drive Sprint and HTC to a resolution.  We must individually tell them so they can diagnose how big the problem is and work on resolution.

Journeyman

Just some advice to anyone trying to get there Evo replaced. Call the store before you go in and say your a customer switching but you just want to make sure they have it in stock. If you say that you need it replaced or that your a pre existing customer odds are they will say they dont have any. If they say they have some when you ask about "switching" then go in and if they try to say they are out then call them out on there sh....lie...Thats what I had to do. I called talking about getting it replaced they didnt have any. I called a hour and a half later saying im wanting to switch to sprint and suddenly they have 2 in stock. Its no use in getting a new one though because it seems like this issue is with 90%  of them.

I also love that all the sales reps act like they have never heard anyone with this issue....

Highlighted
Journeyman

WARNING!!  Rant about to begin!!!

Well, I have this issue with my phone and have been trying to resolve it for over 2 weeks through Sprint.  After the run around I got today I just decided to cancel my account.

On the 9th I ordered my EVO via phone from Sprint.  I got the phone on the 10th of June and about 3-4 days later I saw the screen issue developing.  I let it go for another week to see if it would progress further which it did.  So, on the 23rd I went to  the local Sprint Store to show them the problem.  They said they could not help and that I would have to go to the local Sprint repair facility which I did.  I showed them the phone and they said they could not do anything since it was within the 30 days and I had to call the Sprint tech people over the phone.  I did and they said I had to go back to the local Sprint repair facility and show them the phone so they can verify the issue and have them notate my account that the issue does exist.  So back I go.  They look at it again, verify the issue, notate my account and off I go again.  I get home and call Sprint back to verify that my account has been notated.  They said it has and my account had been processed to receive a replacement that I should receive with 3-7 days.  Plent of time to get the new phone and look for issues before my 30-day trial period was up.

So, I call back on the 28th for an update.  They said yes your account has been processed for a replacement.  The said I was # 27 in a queue of 35 for people in my area to get their new EVO.

Now, I call back today for another update.  I am now told that my account had never been processed for a replacement phone at all.  The account was notated with the issue but no futher action was apparently taken after that.  I was told by this rep that there is no way they can tell where anyone is at to receive a replacement and they are not sure how/why the previous rep did that.  They stated that they could process my account now but there would be no way I would get the replacement phone before my 30-day period was up.  Well, that is when I decided to just go ahead and cancel.

It really is not the fact that the replacement EVO would not arrive until after the 30-day period was up.  I could have lived with that IF they actually had processed my account for the replacement on the 23rd as I was told.  Heck, even if I got the replacement before the 30-day period expired and it had  the same issues I probably would have stayed with Sprint because they did what they said they would do and I probably could trust the to do so in the future.  But to either be down and out lied to by 2 customer reps (the one I talked to on the 23rd and the one on the 28th) or due to their incompetence action was not properly taken really irks me.

Now I get to  wait until for the return kit to arrive, send back the phone and wait for them to verify they received it.  Then I get to wait to get my credit card credited for the $350 (good thing I held back on sending in the $100 rebate form).  Not only that, my 30-day period ends on either the 8th or 9th (depending on if the period starts on the day you ordered the phone or received it) and I received a bill for my first month that had to be paid by the 4th which I paid and will now have to wait to be reimbursed for that as well.

I do not expect a phone to be perfect.  I liked the EVO and it has issues that I was willing to over look like the poor video camera, the fact that the FM radio on the EVO I have does not receive any stations unless you partially pull the headset out of the jack (I used 4 headsets and the all had the same result), the 30fps cap HTC placed on the phone to name a few. These are all minor to me and I was willing to wait for firmware/hardware fixes to resolve.  But the screen separation to me is unacceptable.  The gap on my EVO has gotten to the point where dust, dirt, dead skin flakes from swiping is accumulating in the gap forming between the screen and the casing. Now I read here statements (which may or may not be true) that Sprint and HTC are saying the screen separion is a cometic issue that they will not send replacements for bothers me.

The smart phone market is quite competitve right now and I was hoping that Sprint would do right by me on this issue.  No customer, new or otherwise should have to deal with customer service issues like this. Had I been a current Sprint customer I may have been a little more forgiving over the entire thing.  But you know what they say about first impressions and my first impression with Sprint has not been a good one to say the least.

It would be nice if the folks from HTC or Sprint actually read these posts (perhaps they do) and replied by to me.  I thought of pushing the issue up to the next level but I am sure the reponse I would receive would the the typical apology that I am nopt happy with their service received and the line about the EVO being popular and they are having a hard time keeping up with demands.  Who knows, I may still clean up this rant of a post and send it to someone that may matter or actually care... lol

Wow!!  Well, sorry for the long-winded rant.  Usually I sleep on a post like this to ensure that it will be somewhat coherent but I just had to get this off my chest.  =D

Rant concluded!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just sent a similar rant to dan@sprint.com - i would do advise you do the same just to let them know.

Highlighted
Journeyman

BigAinCA

I'm sorry you had to go through all that.  Needless to say, I'm not surprised.  I have been with sprint all my cellular life (7 years) and what keeps the from competing with other carriers is the customer service.  Ill tell ya, I live in CT and I have stellar cell service everywhere, its just that they always seem to do something to make me upset on the customer service end of the deal.  The fact that you are a new customer and they made you go to all those different places is appalling.  Trust me, you made a good move in returning for now.  I honestly would take your money and buy from a best buy (maybe after waiting a week) because they have been exceptionally understanding to me since I'm on my third, soon to be fourth, htc evo.  I would rather have this phone than a droid x just because the x is bigger for no reason plus verizon is WAY expensive with no 4g yet.

Any answers to my question about if I can return and get out of the 2 year agreement I just made from UPGRADING

Highlighted
Journeyman

Oh and btw, I am returning evo #3 today, hopefully I will get a hardware rev 0004 when I go in.  I have one best buy that has me on a wait list, but another one has it in which is 40 minutes away (on my way to work) so I am going to hit them up.  I really want to put on my screen protector!  I have a good feeling about this today,  Ill report back tonight around midnight to tell you how it looks.  If I am correct, and get a rev 0004, htc fixed the hardware on upcoming models which is why sprint took 2 weeks to receive stock.  So this could be very helpful to those of you playing the waiting game.

Highlighted
Journeyman

masonm159 -

Please do so I just checked my replacment I got yesterday and its rev 0003. I really like this phone and want to keep it but if this screen issue doesnt get resolved I'm going to have to move on to a different phone.

Thanks Ahead of time masonm159

Highlighted
Journeyman

@rlescaille - Will will have to do that.  Thanks for the address.

@masonm159 - I have not ruled out coming back again for the EVO but if I do go back I will be getting it through Best Buy.

I came over to Sprint from T-Mobile just for the 4G and EVO.  I never had any complaints with their customer service.  That may be tested though.  I had been out of contract with T-Mobile since Dec 08 I believe just paying monthly until a phone came around from them or another carrier got my attention.  Back in January I switched from a family plan to individual because my girlfriend at the time got an iPhone.  Anyway, I SPECIFICALLY asked the CS Rep if switching my plan would put me back under contract and I stated I did not want to be under contract as I liked the freedom to drop service at any time I wished.  I was assured by the rep that T-Mobile extends or requires a new contract for changes in calling plans.

Now, after I left T-Mobile I noticed a contract expiration date of January 2012 on my statement.  I suppose I will find out for sure when my final bill comes in from them and there is ETF on it.  If I was put under contract again I am going to be irate.  Had I been told the truth (assuming I am back under contract) that changing my plan would put me under a new contract I would have canceled my service right there and then.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just wanted to post an update. So yesterday I went into my local store after calling. I just told the person at the counter that I needed to exchange or return my EVO due to the screen separating on the bottom and sides. The manager was standing right there and said they can't exchange it for that issue since it's cosmetic, according to HTC. I said I know, but I spent $450 on a phone and I want it without a cosmetic issue. He said that he didn't have one to sell that day, but he would take my information and call me this morning if the one they had didn't sell to someone who was expected to come in. The manager said he understood and would take care of me.

This morning I received the call that they had an EVO to exchange for me. I went in and swapped it out fairly quickly.

The new phone is a Rev 003, it's the Epson screen, and did not have the latest software update installed. Best case scenario I could have hoped for (the Epson screens do not have the separation issue.)

Highlighted
Journeyman

great your phone doen't have this problem. but guess what. A LOT of people are. I have mine in a case and it doesn't appear to be getting worse. if it remains that way i'm totally fine with it. if one day i take the case off to change a battery and the glass falls off. that is a huge problem.

suggesting any DIY fixes is retarded. why void you warranty?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat