cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen raising above the bevel

Highlighted
Journeyman

Screen raising above the bevel

who else is having this problem? is it gonna get worse?

164 REPLIES 164
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm sorry, I haven't read the last 10 pages of post on this topic, but I thought I'd just chime in that my EVO 4G developed the lower left corner screen separation issue 13 days after I received it.  Lots of light leakage.  It's not cosmetic, as many say - plenty of reports around the web of foreign body intrusion and further separation.

I'm very disappointed with the EVO 4G.  There's no 4G service in my area (Los Angeles suburbs), no hint of when it's coming, if at all, the 3G service is atrocious (http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/188967#188967), the screen is over-saturated with pink hue when viewing white web pages, and the build quality of the phone is questionable.

I'm pretty sure I won't be keeping the phone/service.  At least the Galaxy S looks like a pretty sharp replacement coming soon to competing networks, especially if you're not in a 4G area.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You could always return it and hope you get a newer 003 with an Epson.

If you're going to look at the Samsung S series keep in mind that the Samsung Epic 4G is going to be on Sprint as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow.  I guess this statement has it good and bad side.  Bad that yo uhave had to go through 5 EVOs thus far and good that you were actually able to get 5 replacements with what I assume is your 30-day period?   I guess you got yours through either BB or RS?  I was not even able to get 1 replacement for the EVO I am currently having issues with before my  30-day expires.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@msirchuk-  The screen separation issue and pink screen aren't my only issues.  I could hope to be lucky and get an Epson screen model, but would that address the absolutely horrible 3G service speeds I am getting in the suburbs of Los Angeles?  I doubt it, unless the Rev 003 phones are known to have a bad radio or something. 

I bought the EVO because it was supposed to be a big beautiful screen on a fast 3G/4G network.  For me, it's been none of those things.  The screen's big, and beautiful if you ignore the pinkish cast to everything (making it not so beautiful to me), but the 3G speeds I've been experiencing are the real deal killer.  Check out my post in the thread I linked above.

I was a Sprint customer for years with a datacard for my laptop...3G rocked around here.  I've been gone for a year, but back with the EVO and service has gone south for sure.

If the 3G service were good, or Sprint actually pushed 4G coverage "over-the-hill" from downtown Los Angeles into the San Fernando Valley, I'd put a dab of superglue under the separation and wait out an exchange once the problem is fixed, but I can't gamble on a defectively built screen that isn't color-corrected on a network that gives me slower 3G speeds than my T-Mobile phone gives me on EDGE.  😞

Very disappointed with Sprint this time around.

P.S. - I did go back and read the whole thread; almost exactly what I expected, a bunch of complaints like mine, and a few "defenders" saying they don't have the issue and it's no big deal if you do.  Typical thread for any kind of issue like this on any device or network discussion forum.  😉

Highlighted
Journeyman

Had anyone gotten an answer to what my options would be after 30 days? My 30 days ends on wednesday, and I have light leakage all along the left seam of my phone. Its not a huge problem now, but I'm very afraid it will be in the future. I have the phone insurance, and I've also heard htc has a one year warranty.i would hate the hassle of getting another evo by mail (I'm on number 2 and they haven't sent me the return envelope for the first phone yet, do I have a$300 hold on my credit card until they receive it), but I also don't wasn't a phone with dust under the screen in 2 months, that I would be such with for anotheryear and a half.   The first phone was sent back for a dead pixel,which compared too this was minor.

Highlighted
Journeyman

mxmarks: We all have discussed about what your options are, in terms of all of our options, in this whole thread.  Just read through.  We are ALL in the same boat as you.

OK guys.......... I wont even bother with the drum roll again........ FAIL

Evo #5 same problems.  I notices that since all these phones bottom left corners are loose, if you press it in (without touching the home circle at all) the home key is inputted.  This one does that too, and for all those reading, if your evo does this too (which it prob does because all our screens ardent secured) you can use this as a reason why this problem effects the functionality of the phone.  Mine does this for both the search and home key sides of the phone.  Evo #5 has slight light leakage as well as bottom corners of the screen not being secure in place.  The last 2 phones had this home key problem when you pressed to the bottom left of the key, and when the best buy person saw this they stopped even looking for other issues because THAT is a functionality issue.

So ther you go guys, check that out because now we arent talking COSMETIC any more.

Oh and as for the person that said my statement is "good and bad" you are wrong.  Not to be a jerk, but I have driven all over CT to find these phones.  45 minute trips each way 3 out of the 5 times.  Trust me, if you try hard enough you can easily find the evo.  There is NOTHING good about that statement.  I am getting tired of returning this phone.

Another helpful hint.  If you are getting close to the end of your 30 days and you want to return it all together, you need at LEAST 4 days for the evo to not count as your upgrade.  So if you have that option, I would do that 4 days before the end, and re-purchace a few weeks later.

I want the evo so bad you have no idea, I dont want to go to verizon or att, Why do I have to go through this!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I didn't want to deal with this anymore, especially hearing that some sprint reps are saying it's only cosmetic and there is nothing they can do. I returned my phone today and will wait on the sidelines for better quality. Epic 4G is coming out soon. As much as I don't like sliders, it might be worth looking at. HTC really botched this launch with such poor QC. If they want to compete with Apple by making an iPhone killer they'd better start with Apple-like build quality if they are going to charge the same amount.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is so annoying, Im like toying around with the button problem, and when I hold the phone in my right hand and my pinkey finger barely comes around the corner of the bottom side.  When that finger brushes the corner (not the button) the home button response triggers.  THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM!

Honestly, I wouldnt get the epic.  Samsung quality is poor and I hate sliders too.  The screen of the epic is at least good If you like amoled that is (can see the screen outside ) If anything droid X looks fantastic.  But verizon costs alot more.  The evo should improve in quality down the road, but this is horrible.

I didn't want to say recall before, but with the button sensitivity in areas where it shouldnt would qualify for it.  I cant even hold the phone in my right hand without having my pinkey regester the false home key!

Highlighted
Journeyman

msirchuk wrote:

You could always return it and hope you get a newer 003 with an Epson.

If you're going to look at the Samsung S series keep in mind that the Samsung Epic 4G is going to be on Sprint as well.

Oh, I hinted at, but didn't expressly address in my first reply to you that my concern with waiting for the Samsung Epic 4G is that if the horrible 3G speeds I am seeing locally are a network issue, and not the phone, then any Sprint phone will be unacceptable for me.  Additionally, I'm really not interested in a slider phone.  I like soft keyboards and don't need the extra weight/complication of a slider.  😉

Highlighted
Journeyman

rlescaille wrote:

HTC really botched this launch with such poor QC. If they want to compete with Apple by making an iPhone killer they'd better start with Apple-like build quality if they are going to charge the same amount.

I've actually got 5 iPhones in my possession right now (2 of the original models, a 3G, a 3G and the iPhone 4.  The "build quality" on four if them is very impressive.  Quality products from that point of view in my experience, however, the 3G model had issues.  Mine was first day of sales, and my friend's was two months later.  BOTH of our phones developed the infamous cracks in the back ceramic/plastic casing; rather severe cracks at the stress point where the internals appear to have been screwed to the backing.  I never turned my in since the cracks stopped and didn't appear to spread.  There were hundreds of reports on the web of cracks in the location I have, and of worse cracks where the headphone jack went.

I think Apple said the same thing about it being a cosmetic issue, but I also think they gave anyone who wanted an exchange no hassles about it.

Point is, even Apple has had build issues, I guess.  It's also important how the company addresses them when they surface.  I'd argue that this whole iPhone 4 antenna debacle is giving Apple worse headaches than Sprint/HTC are going to get with the EVO screens, but mostly because the Apple fans and detractors alike are vicious when let down by Apple.

Highlighted
Journeyman

masonm159 wrote:

Honestly, I wouldnt get the epic.  Samsung quality is poor and I hate sliders too.  The screen of the epic is at least good If you like amoled that is (can see the screen outside ) If anything droid X looks fantastic. 

Hmmm...this is the first I've heard that Samsung are poor build quality.  I'll have to research that a bit before I get an unlocked Galaxy S for T-Mo/AT&T on Tuesday.

As far as the Samsung's screen, it's a SUPER AMOLED display, not AMOLED.  I've seen YouTube videos that put a Galaxy S, and two other phones (one with an LCD and one with a regular AMOLED screen) to the test in the sunlight.  The Galaxy S Super AMOLED screen fared nicely.  Check it out here:  http://techblog.gr/techtv/samsung-galaxy-s-vs-htc-desire-vs-sony-ericsson-xperia-x10-super-amoled-vs...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know the difference between super and regular amoled.  The super is also much thinner which makes the colors more vibrant.  The sacrifice there is with the durability of the screen as well.  Easy to break or scratch in comparison.  Either way, I have owned samsung phones for the last 6 years, and the only one I would buy is the galaxy s..... not any of the galaxy s spin-offs here in the good ole U S of A.

I dunno, Im just in a bad mood today, because this evo thing is really upsetting.  In the great scheme of things, its just a phone, but I need it for more than dumb kid stuff.  Being a teacher, I need to be able to work on lesson plans on the go, be email accessable 24/7, and other "grown up" stuff, so this big screen and software is the best fit for me.  It is a tool more than a toy for me and on paper, this is perfect.  That being said, I might use it as a toy sometimes .

Anyway, I just want one that works and has been assembled properly

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat