cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen raising above the bevel

Highlighted
Journeyman

Screen raising above the bevel

who else is having this problem? is it gonna get worse?

164 REPLIES 164
Highlighted
Journeyman

Phone Make/Model: HTC Evo 4G

Purchase Date: 6/11/2010

Light Leakage: Bottom

Bezel Separation: Yes

Applied Screen Protector and when: Yes, 6/13/2010

Phone Exposed to Water: No

On day one I immediately noticed the light leaks on the bottom from the hard buttons. Also, Engadget noticed the light leaks during their early review, but didn't say anything at that time about the screen coming up. When I turn the phone on the screen comes on first, no light leak. Then, the hard buttons light up, and that's when the light leaks. I can push down on the hard buttons and the light sort of goes away, but comes back after a few minutes. I didn't think anything of it, because it's not too annoying. But, now I can tell the glass is slightly rising up as well; only on the bottom for now.

AndroidForums.com is lit up with complaints about this issue as well. What do we do?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Smaggard. I am hoping Sprint swaps them out.The first run of Hero's, which, of course I bought, rapidly had all the metallic trim peel off. A piece actually had to be dug out of my finger 😞 . I loved the Hero, despite it being peeled and sharp. Much to my surprise, as that was essentially a cosmetic issue, Sprint, or HTC most likely, offered 8 mos. later to replace all the affected units.   I am hoping they jump on this, and do the right thing like they did with the Hero.  Today, the web seemed to explode with this screen separation issue. Mine leaks under the search button,  and the lower sides of the screen.  My lower corners are raised above the bezel, and there is enough of a gap that I have to use compressed air to blow all the dust out.   I find it very interesting that my local Sprint store says they are not seeing  problems with the phone re customer complaints. Frankly, in my Body Glove case, I can't see the failing part, but it drives me nuts, regardless.  I am hoping that the units are replaced with new. That would, IMO, be the proper thing to do. We are, after all, only a week and a half since launch.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Even CNN is reporting it now: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/06/14/htc-evo-screens-having-quality-control-issues/

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same thing. Ordered EVO 6/4/10.

Light leakage beneath search and home buttons.

Bezel is slightly above trim along the whole bottom of phone.

I can push screen down and light leakage resolves, but screen bounces right back up when I release pressure.

No screen protectors or silicone cases used. I just use a leather belt case that holds the enitre phone.

It is definitely frustrating, as we only have 30 days to return the unit. Does anyone know if they will replace it with a NEW unit versus a refurbished one?

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC has a one year warranty

Highlighted
Wizard

I would prefer to have my evo repaired.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i think sprint and htc do too. hopefully they're working on a fix in that lab of their's

Highlighted
Journeyman

Noticed on that CNN video showing the Incredible and Evo's screen not responding well to touch while laying on a surface as opposed to being in hand.  Must be a capacitive screen issue....My Instinct HD does the same thing and it's been reported, maybe ignored along with everything else we reported...wonder if there is even a fix for that?  You guys will know first, I'm sure... ( if history has anything to say about it )

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mine too.

Got it from Radio Shack on launch day, hardware version 002.  Same screen detachment issue.  No drops/abuse/scratches/etc - babied it as if it were an infant. Sprint said "Sorry, we can't replace it as we don't have any. Sorry, no, we can't go ahead and order you a replacement either. Sorry, no, we can't call you when we get any. We are really sorry though!" I bet they are.

Luckily, I'm a new customer still within my 30 day guarantee period, so I'll be taking it back for a refund unless this thing is resolved before my 30 days are up. 

Hopefully Sprint will properly thank HTC for all the two year contracts Sprint will potentially lose as a result of this (I doubt I'm the only one).  It's a shame too; this has the potential to be a really fantastic phone.  I can live with the marginal battery life, and the sporadic 4G coverage... but the detaching screen is definitely a dealbreaker.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah i got my phone on day one... and just started to notice this issue, there is slight light bleed in the bottom left of the phone... it seemed to start there, and move across to the rest of the bottom of the phone, the left side still being the worst, i hope there is a fix for this soon, i dont want my awesome new phone falling to pieces!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm heading back to the Sprint retailer at Sam's Club to see if they have any more Evos in stock (I got the only one they had come in last Friday). Hopefully, I can swap it out for another one that doesn't have the issue. The bad thing is that I already put my invisibleShield screen protector on..

I think more people aren't aware of this problem because they simply don't know about it. They see the light but think that's just the way it's supposed to be.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i think so too. from what i'm reading it's fairly widespread and litlle to nothing is being done/said about it

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat