cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen raising above the bevel

Highlighted
Journeyman

Screen raising above the bevel

who else is having this problem? is it gonna get worse?

164 REPLIES 164
Highlighted
Journeyman

Having the same light bleed out on mine as well definitely worse on the lower left side but I am seeing light uner the home menu and search buttons.  Can't wait for a fix on this.  "does not APPEAR to impact useability" ... yet I can already shift the screen up and down some so what happens when the adhesive fails around the entire device.

- HTC Evo?  Yes

- In Use # of Days: Picked up on June 4, 2010

- Bezel Seperation Occuring: yes, lower left side is worst

- Light Leakage Occuring: yes, lower left side is worst

- Other Side Effects: not known

- Type of Case / Wrap Used, If Any:

- Applied / Removed Third Party Screen Protectors?  Invishield installed June 5

- Phone Exposed to Water? No

- Other Details/Notes: Having the issue where touchscreen does not register presses.  Aparently because the phone is "not grounded"?

I'm with Jtessmann on this one if they don't have some sort of response to this issue by the time my 30 days are up I'm probably back to AT&T.  /tear

Highlighted
Journeyman

On my second Evo.

The first one had the pop-up keyboard completely blur out the bottom portion of the screen. I was lucky to be able to get a second... Good thing I have great rapport with the Sprint workers in my area.

Highlighted
Journeyman

An update of sorts, and not a cheerful one. My phone went to a Sprint corporate repair store today, where they discovered light leaking down both edges of the screen, and, as you face the phone, right side is actually the one you see when you look at the screen. I don't know how everyone else is referring to each side re position. My lower corners were indeed lifting, and there is dust embedded under the edge of the screen via the bezel and elevated screen. I was told to exchange it at Radio Shack. Sprint has none. No Radio Shacks around D.C. have any.    So, I called HTC for the 3rd time in four days and Lo and behold "we are aware of the problem". 'bout time!  I was, however, told, in a round about off the record way, NOT to exchange the phone now.  That, to me, means that they have either not yet figured out the problem, or, a new production run has not been done. Either way, I am going to wait another week, even if some phones start showing up this week. Hey, they don't have to hit me over the head for me to figure that one out. Oh, I am most unhappy.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The lack of any official response from Sprint or HTC is alarming and disappointing.  Information will fill the vacuum, to the detriment of both companies. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

- HTC Evo?  Yes

- In Use # of Days: 1 week 5 days (since launch day)

- Bezel Seperation Occuring: yes

- Light Leakage Occuring: yes

- Other Side Effects:n/a

- Type of Case / Wrap Used, If Any: n/a

- Applied / Removed Third Party Screen Protectors?  Yes ghost armor.

- Phone Exposed to Water? no

- Other Details/Notes: not only is there light leakage on the bottom of each button, there is also leakage on the side, about 1 inch or more. you can see it in the dark.

Unfortunately i dont have any camera to take a picture of it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was thinking about just returning my evo and going back to my old phone. Hopefully in a few weeks the new shipments of evos will no longer have this problem and then i will just re-purchase the phone. Does that seem like a good idea? Or should i just hold on to my evo?

Highlighted
Journeyman

hold on to it for a while. im going to wait till HTC or SPRINT make an official announcement about these problems.  We still have the 1 yr manufacture warranty anyways.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok people, I know the screen lifting on our new toys is very unsettling, but from what I understand the HTC warranty on defects in materials and workmanship is for a period of 1(one) year.  That's what this problem is, a defect in material or workmanship.

When the post said they had reproduced the problem in the lab, that is a good thing. Now they can begin to work on solving the problem.   When he said the problem didn't affect usability, that is a good thing also.  It means you shouldn't worry about your EVO not working because the screen has lifted on the bottom.

So now we need to allow them a little time to come up with a satisfactory solution to the problem. Remember we must also give them time to test the fix to make sure it's permanent and won't reoccur at some point down the road. If new parts are involved, it will take time to manufacture those too.

Also keep in mind that this is an HTC problem, so Sprint will be our advocate when it comes to getting HTC to come up with a solution that is acceptable to us, the end user, and to Sprint.   Sprint definitely will NOT want this type of problem happening again, now or in the future.  It's a PR nightmare, wouldn't you agree?

It's really a shame this had to happen with what was ultimately Sprints "flagship" phone.  I can hear the Sprint top executives saying, "Why with this phone? When do we get a break?"  Sprint NEEDS a few things to go it's way.....

Believe me when I say, nobody wants this problem solved quicker than Sprint! (and HTC too, for that matter)  Sprint is just like you, they wish the fix had come out yesterday!

My guess is this will be handled very similarly to the same as when an automobile is recalled by the manufacturer.  If HTC doesn't do the right thing, some government agency will get involved.

Best of luck to all of us, 

Highlighted
Journeyman

My phone is in perfect condition except for this light leakage problem.  I've got light coming through under all four buttons.  And the bottom left corner of the screen can easily be moved down, but it pops right back up.  Hopefully they'll have an in store fix or exchange program, because for mine it is only a matter of time before this problem becomes much worse.

Highlighted
Journeyman

yeah its going to get much worse. my screen protector also has dust on the side of it because the screen is above the bezel now.  it's only a matter of time when dust will get under the screen.

Highlighted
Journeyman

As others have said, my Sprint store couldn't do anything right now because they simply don't have any more Evos! The guy took my name and phone number and is calling when they get more in. If my 30 days is up and I don't have a replacement yet, I'll be hanging on to my Incredible and Verizon..

On a side note: I'm willing to bet that this issue is why the phones are so scarce right now. What do you think?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well... I didn't think I had the problem. I just took both the Evos I bought out of their cases and on both of them the screen is lifting. Ugh.. One of them is so bad it actually clicks when you press it. I'm not going to try to take them back just yet instead I'm going to send an email to HTC to let them know and get their response. I sure hope this gets fixed soon! I really love this device but, don't like it not exactly as it was when I purchased it. For the record both of these phones have been babied like no other device we have ever owned.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat