cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So tired of my HTC Evo 4G phone....

Journeyman

I am beyond frustrated with my HTC Evo Shift. Took it to the local Sprint repair store ~1 month ago because I couldn't hear anything thru the speaker & also because the phone would frequently & randomly reload/reset after I would exit out of applications or the internet. (And when I say reload/reset, I'm referring to the phone displaying a white screen with the HTC logo in neon green letters, followed by a 1-2 minute period where the phone is completely unusable as it "Reloads" or "Resets") Of course, when I mentioned this to the Cust Svc Rep at the local Sprint, the guy looked at me like I was completely crazy. Well after picking up the phone, everything seemed to be fixed & working just fine. Until last week. Now the reloading/resetting issue happens ALL THE TIME and no matter what I just used the phone for. After making phone calls. After texting. After being on Facebook. After checking email. After being on the internet. After EVERYTHING. And it is VERY annoying & frustrating. I've tried shutting the phone down, taking the battery out for several minutes & putting it back in, clearing the internet cache & history, removing applications that I had downloaded from the market. Updating my system profile, firmware, etc. NOTHING FIXES THE PROBLEMS!! Also, when I try to download updates for applications on my phone, they never seem to complete the downloading process. Just constantly say "Updates downloading". For example, I clicked on the link to download the latest updates for Facebook last week. Well guess what? As of 5 minutes ago, it is still downloading the latest updates.

Anyone else having these same problems &/or have suggestions on what to do about this phone? I'm so ready to throw it in the trash right now.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: So tired of my HTC Evo 4G phone....

wisangel00,

I'm sorry you're experiencing issues. What you're describing with the white HTC logo appearing is a known issue related to HTC's software "HTC Sense", it's the basic user interface that all Android HTC phones use, we have been working with HTC on resolving that issue, it is related to memory. When you're phone gets to a certain level of memory it will close various processes down which is why it went away temporarily after visiting the repair store, more than likely they cleared up some data or performed a reset on your phone. We are hoping to have a software update soon to resolve it but there has been no estimated time announced. In the mean time there's a few things you can do to either completely eliminate or reduce the frequency that it occurs.

There's the option of using a different launcher program instead of HTC sense, such as Go Launcher or Launcher Pro from the market, you won't be able to use the Scenes or Widgets however so some people don't find this an acceptable work around. You can also try to increase the amount of memory you have available by going into your applications (Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications > go into various applications and try to clear cache, there may be a clear data option as well and that option can cause you to have to resign into your account if it's something like Facebook or Email application). If you have any questions or need help let me know.

As for the applications showing updating, I've experienced that before, I was able to fix that by canceling the download and try again.

Wizard

take Shane's advice, use a diff launcher.

Journeyman

Use a different launcher like Go or Launcher Pro, or even better, ADW. Best solution I've found, however, is to just root it. It's almost like you got a fast, new phone.

Journeyman

Read here:-

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/383082#383082

and here:-

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/366132#366132

Sprint know but don't care.  Just keep paying your contractual $$$$$$ and get no support in return.  7 months I've been suffering this issue, Sprint and HTC have done NOTHING to fix it.

Journeyman

LASpurs - have you ever got an official response from HTC and are you on their forums? I have a friend with this issue and am trying to get some info. I considered joining and posting on the HTC forum but didn't know if they had any employees or official responses.

Journeyman

No, I am not on HTC's forum.  HTC are Sprint's vendor, they supply Sprint and we are the customer.  Sprint should be dealing with this issue directly with HTC as it's creating such a poor customer experience for their clients (us the customers).

Just typical with Sprint all I see is our questions on here being answered by different people with no clear communication to us on what the hold up is with such a simple fix and when we can be expected to see the fix issued.

If Sprint had any brains their contract with HTC should include a clause for backcharging HTC If their customers phones were affected by a HTC software 'update'. We are all saddled with this POS Evo that causes nothing but frustration, day after day of use.

Journeyman

ok - uh the first seven words is all i needed - I am going to register and contact them thru email to get a case id- just in case

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat