cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So where is our Froyo (manual download 7/30 noon CST)?

Highlighted
Journeyman

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Journeyman

Please define "fine" Some need to know if it is a vast significant overwhelming improvement in operability, usability, and added functionality, and of course, INCREASED FRAME RATE? UI improvements? Tether? give us some eye candy.

Highlighted
Wizard

I am still testing a lot of apps. Things are running fast.

Here is the link to the instructions

Tons of feedback at android central, android police

Don't do it if you are not familiar with the process. I have a lot of experience with my Hero and this is like a piece of cake!

I will apply the final official version as soon as it's out

FYI: I did not test tether because I don't have Hotspot enabled on my plan. I don't need it

Highlighted
Journeyman

It has an overwhelming impact on overall performance and speed. Games run very smoothly (Gameloft games like Let's Golf, HAWX, NOVA, and Asphalt 5). The Sense homescreen has NO lag whatsoever. Not even a tiny bit even with some of the more advanced live wallpapers. Apps to SD works well, though, most apps don't support it yet. Web browser seems a bit faster, but Flash makes scrolling a little sluggish and causes graphics to glitch on the non-flash components of a page. You can turn off Flash to fix it, and just turn it on when you want to actually use it. Actual flash runs well, though some video seems to lag a little bit, but it is just a phone, so the flash support is great for 1st Gen.

Apps lists load instantly, so when you go to manage apps, it loads instantly rather than waiting about 45 seconds for the list to load. This is great since you have to go to the manage apps settings to move apps to the SD card.

The new Sense software is good. FM Radio app is better and has some nice widgets. There's a new calculator widget that has multiple skins, so a nice addition. There's also a flashlight app that gives you three brightness settings to use the flash as a flashlight. Works really well.

Holding down home gives you an improved recent apps list, with 8 slots instead of the old 6. Overall memory management is improved. Absolutely no reason for a task manager anymore. Won't make one bit of difference.

Haven't extensively tested battery, but from my early tests, looks like its at least slightly improved, if not majorly so.

You can now have the phone auto rotate in both directions. You used to not be able to rotate to the right, but now it works great. Camera app has a few improvements, including the buttons rotate in all directions to make it easier to hit in various positions.

There are some other smaller fixes and enhancements, but I think those are the major ones. Most of the apps have at least some UI tweaks. Messages looks nicer, Gmail has a tweaked interface (you can now select text, though you have to do it through the menu, so not easy, but at least its possible now. Market allows auto updates and update all functions and has some navigational enhancements. Chrome to phone works great, allowing you to send web pages and other web data to the phone and have it automatically open on the phone. Send directions from Google Maps and the Maps app opens with those directions without any interaction. Opens Youtube videos, phone numbers, web pages, etc. Requires the Chrome to Phone plugin and app to work.

Framerate isn't improved, but the overall speed increase and stability means that you are pretty much guaranteed a constant 30 FPS, so although still slightly choppy to some, its got great graphics performance and most people won't notice it in day to day function. Huge difference from the last version. Tethering is still done through the same apps, but you can USB tether pretty easy. You'll need to be paying for hotspot to use it, but you could use it as a usb wifi modem. Basically, you could connect to wifi then share the wifi connection over usb to a computer. Only Windows from what I can tell, but there may be drivers for Linux and Mac too.

I don't have a way to post pictures, but hopefully that answers most of the questions. Currently, copy protected apps aren't working in the market, but that should be fixed on Google's side shortly after the official version starts rolling out. Usually it takes up to a week for the server side to accept new software versions.

Highlighted
Journeyman

DOWNLOADING NOW! Check HTC Software Upgrade

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had to hit "check" button ywice before it showed update was available.  Also make sure battery is charged up.  I downloaded it but it would not do the update unil I charged it for a bit.

Highlighted
Journeyman

its finally out

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat