cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Update failures

Highlighted
Journeyman

Software Update failures

Has anyone out there been notified by Sprint to update your software and after doing so, your phone went kaput. I almost lost my my HTC EVO one month ago when I accepted the software upgrade. This month. another phone on our family plan accepted a software upgrade, and the upgrade permanently damaged the phone. Sprint is refusing to take resposibility for this debacle. I would like to hear from others what you have done or what you intend to do about the issue. I am thinking of just dropping my family plan and ging with another carrier, unless Sprint accepts responsibility for their updatge failure. I would like to hear from others with the same problem.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Software Update failures

When updating software its very important that you are in an area where you have a stable signal.  I have heard of people having problems when updating when driving and loosing the signal. Also if the phones "rooted" and you allow an OTA update that can cause this kind of problem.  Good luck, Rick

Journeyman

I cant use my phone for longer than 5 minutes before it shuts down. When it shuts down, my battery is zapped. So when i go to turn it back on...I get the red cell and it shuts down again. This is after charging it all night while I sleep. This usually happens before I can get to the car to leave to work.  This typically happens when texting, using the internet or using speaker phone. Whats really strange, is that it doesnt happen when i have it plugged in. So, i have to always be plugged in or

Journeyman

Rick that is good information for the un informed. However, when you are sitting in your home and Sprint sends you an update is availalble notice, then you know a dropped signal is not a problem. Evidently, Sprint is not taking the time to test the updates prior to allowing the uipdates to be distributed through their network. Sprint does not seem to care and they try to write their agreements so that the customer is left holding the bag for their poor business practices. Look in the more like this column and there are numerous similar events occurring and previously happenned.There is even an FCC complaint on file about Sprint allowing the distribution of ineffective software that causes the phone to lockup. It would be nice if Sprint would address the issues. I hope a class actionsuit is filed by a public advocacy attorney, maybe that will embarress Sprint and force them to take corrective action.

GrandMaster

odds are your battery is on its last leg. unless youre planning on upgrading to a new phone any time soon i would jump on a new/larger battery off amazon or something. i picked up a extended battery for about $15 and havent had a single issue with it. if the phone works fine while plugged in then there is your problem..it has a power source there and will not shut off..the problem is the battery

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

Pointlobos,

Not sure which devices you're having problems with, but there's a lot of info available in the specific device forums on this site. You can search those forums to see if others have had the same problem and find how they resolved it. 

If you don't have luck doing that, please respond back to this post with the device you have. 

Thanks!

Desi 

Journeyman

I've had my LG Optimus for 1 1/2 yrs now and this is not the 1st system update i've seen. The first one I allowed and man it messed up my phone. Had so many issues i took it to the Sprint store and was advised to have the original operating system reinstalled on it.  I did and it was fine and still is mostly. I have little issues now and then.   I refuse to use the update. It will just be another nightmare.  My advise is take your phone to a store that does work on the phones and have them put the old operating system back on it. They were able to save pictures and my address book.  I wish you luck.

Sprint Employee

Hello sissyuggy, ZVJ, the newest ROM with Gingerbread does not exhibit the same flaws as the previous attempt at Gingerbread. if you do update to ZVJ and are not happy with it we still have the 2.2 version available at www.sprint.com/downloads.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Yes.  Mine isnt working now.

Journeyman

Well i bit the bullet and updated my phone with ZVJ and have to say other than a few little issues I am not ready to drop kick it out the door as i was with the gingerbread update. How ever time will tell.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat