cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Notifications

Go to solution
Journeyman

Spam Notifications

Since the last software update from Sprint I've been receiving notifications that show up as a "star" icon and they are spam things.  "Congratualations, you've won an iPhone4", etc.  My sister has the same phone and has been having the same issues (since the day she installed the update).  What gives?  Is there a way to fix this?  I've been a sprint customer for several years, but this would be enough to make me switch carriers.  Is there something that can be done to fix this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Master

Re: Spam Notifications

This has nothing to do with Sprint, It is caused by an app you installed from the market. Some apps now use "AirPush" adds that pop up in the notifications. Install "AirPush Detector" and run it, It will tell you which app is doing it. Uninstall that app.
Also install "AirPush Perment Opt Out" run it then uninstall it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brosmike.airpushdetector&feature=nav_result

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.airpush.optoutapp&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMS...

cmwilkersondc wrote:

This is nothing short of pathetic. I get the same nonsense now asking me for a hot date under NOTIFICATIONS.

I called Sprint and the customer service guy at Sprint said he was getting it too and could not get rid of it!

Nice job Sprint!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Master

Spam Notifications

Here are a few short codes that should help - You can also have short codes blocked

7726 - Report Spam Text Messages

Sprint is conducting a trial with a new system that gives employees and customers with CDMA devices the ability to report SPAM text messages received. Forward any text messages perceived to be SPAM to shortcode 7726 (SPAM) to report it as SPAM.

8989 - Opt Out of SMS Messages

Send a text message to this short code with the words "end all" in the message and you will get a reply that you are removed from Sprint's SMS Message List

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Highlighted
Journeyman

Spam Notifications

The spam isn't coming in as a text message.  It's coming in as an actual notification, the same way that a text message, email, or update would show up in the upper left corner.  I did the Opt Out just incase that helps though.

Highlighted
Master

Spam Notifications

Sprint Zone will occasionally show the Sprint yellow logo if they have updates in Sprint Zone - but they are not very frequent. If you are getting a STAR you have a program with some type of advertising included so check your installed apps. We don't use the star icon for our notifications.

Larry

Highlighted
Master

Next time the star appears, click the ad and see which app name appears in the upper left-hand corner (as it takes you to the Market to view the app it's advertising). It's coming from an app you have installed, it's a new way for apps to display ads. When you do figure out which app is causing it, mark it as malicious when you uninstall and give it one star.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245305/sneaky_mobile_ads_invade_android_phones.html

Highlighted
Master

Spam Notifications

Also you could download "AirPush Detector" and/or "Addons Detector" for free in the market and run them, One of those should detect which app is the culprit.

Highlighted

Spam Notifications

Kieferette, I have an EVO as well and received the same notification on my device. This is the first time I have ever had this in the 1+yrs I have had the device so its not something that is that frequent. I dont beleive it was pushed by the update since I have yet to install the update, I went though my browsing history on my EVO and found the original page that I was taken to when I selected it in my notification bar. The spam notification is comming from the Facebook application, because it shows the same icons that Facebook does and the web address at the bottom is www.fbsurveyrewards.com. When I go to the site it does not pull up an actual website I will research this more.

Highlighted

Spam Notifications

kieferette, I just talked to one of my colleagues who said that it is a form of Malware. He indicated that there is nothing that can be done to fix this, Google has to make the market and the apps more secure to eliminate that issue.

Highlighted
Master

Spam Notifications

Highlighted
Journeyman

Adware IS malware as far as I'm concerned!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got the same notifications and it was very annoying. Some apps have the air push notification and will bombard you with notifications. I downloaded Addons Detector and if I download an app that has the air push crap on it, the detector will let me know and I uninstall the app.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is nothing short of pathetic. I get the same nonsense now asking me for a hot date under NOTIFICATIONS.

I called Sprint and the customer service guy at Sprint said he was getting it too and could not get rid of it!

Nice job Sprint!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat