Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint and Android

Journeyman

Sprint and Android

I just read about the new Sprint 4G EVO phone, which looks like the best possible phone announced as of yet.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/htc-evo-4g-is-sprints-android-powered-knight-in-superphone-armo/

I have said this before but want to reiterate my thoughts.  Besides the Nexus One (which Sprint is about to get) and the Droid (which got delayed) Sprint is about to become the first carrier to fully update their line of Android phones to the 2.1 firmware, except for the Moto i1 (which moto has not updated any of their phones except the Droid).  This and the fact that Sprint is going to have the 2 best Android phones on the market is going to make Sprint the premiere Android cell phone carrier.

I hope Sprint can accomplish this and then take it to heart and really make themselves the go to company for Android devices.  Really the Droid is the only Android phone that will be able to compete with Sprint's offerings very soon.

Of course the Nexus One gets its own special category since it is essentially carrier independent.

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

I certainly can not wait for this phone. My upgrade is is May but I will wait for this!  My only concern is how much this phone will cost up front. I should probably start saving back money here and there, lol.

Journeyman

Sprint will no doubt price this phone with some new and lame contract, but here's holding out they don't mess this up, Still I want to make some noise for Sprint to get onboard for a Windows Phone 7 which actually looks like a new way to use the phone and not just another iPhone-esk look-a-like cookie cutter cliche wannabe smart phone!

Journeyman

Android isn't some iPhone look-alike. And windows phone 7 has a lot more in common with the iPhone. The only real difference is that it has a totally different UI from anything, but their marketing tactics and ways the phone works is almost exactly like the iPhone. The only thing I don't like about the evo is the potential for a more expensive plan, and that there is no trackball/trackpad/optical ball. That kinda sucks. Still, everything else is perfect, so I'm going to get one for sure.

Journeyman

I believe the Plans will stay the Same and will only change if u want the blazing fast 4G option added in. But if you stay on the Regular 3G data Plan the rates should not change...Im hoping this is what will happen!!! and besides not all Markets will have 4G when it comes out, Im one of those customers(Im in NY)...We wont see 4G till 3rd or 4th quarter...So why would people get charged more money for a service they dont have or choose not to choose....just a reasonable thought!

Wizard

All rumors lead to there being no additional 4G charge for this phone.  Sprint has a pretty strong commitment to bringing 4G data to as many people as they can.  And have already announced that there will be no "cap" on data, unlike the virtual cap at 5GB for 3G customers (which is very hard to hit unless you tether.....which, oh yeah, the Evo4G will do out of the box.....fo up to 8 devices!!!)  Everyone should stop dreaming up huge 4G surcharges before anything is announced.  They aren't Verizon or ATT, Sprint doesn't nickel and dime people for every little thing. (of course I could be wrong, but I doubt it).  They can't possibly deliver this "ground breaking device" and not let people access to it easily.  I bet the price will $199 on contract so the masses will want to buy this phone.

We all should be elated with the announcement of this phone and its specs for at least 2 days!  HOLY COW, are you serious with all these specs?  Android is a perfect host for the OS.  I can't wait to see the integration of the front facing camera into applications such as Skype, etc.  This is certainly a game changer for Sprint because they have a unique product in 4G that no one else does and now people can actually use it regularly with a phone.  Now they need to focus on building out that 4G network to more and more places and fortifying their 3G network as well.  on all the demos, the applications open incredibly fast.  512MB of RAM and 1GB of ROM?  seriously?  that's unheard of on an Android phone (to this point).  That's going to be at least 500 applications that you can load, including all the intensive games. I was totally on the N1 bandwagon because of fast updates, but with these specs, it makes the N1 look out of date.  (sure I would have loved an AMOLED, but I'll take it)

Of course, the battery could drain immediately upon turning it on, but my Hero dies before the end of the day, so I am used to it!  Maybe they will package with 2 batteries????  To bad I have to wait until OCTOBER! rats.

Journeyman

Am I the only one who is disgusted with people who are ready to upgrade or new users get all of the PERKS...If the current Sprint Perks are supposed to make up for having to wait until your contract is up..forget it, who lives by a Nascar Track??I live between Chicago and Milwaukee - NONE of the PERKS apply to this area, oh but wait I could travel to Michigan 5+ hrs for a race or hey what about 13 hrs to Talladega!!! Get REAL Sprint. The Old Reliables want the new stuff too without having to wait.

Journeyman

At least they give an upgrade every year, that's way better than any other carrier. T-mobile just recently got around to offering perks, but they were in the form of cheaper unlimited plans, which eventually became obsolete when they switched all their services. Basically, Sprint is doing a good job. I am impressed with their network, reliability, prices, and upgrades. I just can't wait until I'm a premier customer. Btw, does anyone know if I got my account in October, got Premier status whenever it kicks in, will my first upgrade be this october? Or will it be 1 year from when I get premier? Basically, this will determine whether I'll be paying full price on launch day, or waiting til october to get it subsidized. I love this phone, and it isn't even out yet!

Journeyman

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of redneck, beer drinking, ozone destroying sports to be honest. Nascar should filed away with.... curling and handball. But thanks Sprint. I do appreciate it.

Journeyman

i agreed with you up until you started talking bad about curling.  You will NEVER be forgiven for that.

Journeyman

Sounds like a great phone!  I still use the Instinct, only because I'm not willing to go to AT&T or Verizon, and I wasn't too impressed with Hero and Moment and figured I'd wait for better Sprint Androids.  If the Evo is going to require higher rate plan to use 4G, I might just get the Nexus unless they will let us use the Evo on a 3G plan...    Either way, I'm tired of waiting while everyone I know on Verizon and AT&T (and even T-Mobile) shows off their cutting edge phones.

On another note, wonder how soon we'll see an Android tablet that works on Sprint?

Journeyman

superlinkx wrote:

<snip> Btw, does anyone know if I got my account in October, got Premier status whenever it kicks in, will my first upgrade be this october? Or will it be 1 year from when I get premier? Basically, this will determine whether I'll be paying full price on launch day, or waiting til october to get it subsidized. I love this phone, and it isn't even out yet!

Superlinkx,

I just talked to the Premier experts, and they said you get your upgrade discount 12 months from when you became eligible for the Premier program.

For example, if you started in October 2009 with a $69.99 plan, but you were just officially designated a "Premier customer" in March, you would still be able to get your discount in October 2010.

Here's how to verify this: Go to sprint.com/upgrade and click the Upgrade now link in the black banner. It'll take you through a sign in pop-up and then show you your eligibility date.

Good luck!

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat