cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint exaggerated 1st-day sales of the HTC Evo 4G, Does this surprise you?

Journeyman

Sprint exaggerated 1st-day sales of the HTC Evo 4G, Does this surprise you?

Just google "Sprint" and "Evo" in googlenews  and you'll get an article just like this one...

http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-brief/50133-sprint-went-a-bit-too-far-with-evo-launch-numbers

Excerpt:

"However, Hesse went a bit out of  bounds when he went on to say, 'In addition,  the total number of  HTC

EVO 4G devices sold on launch day was  three times  the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their  first three  days on the market combined.'

'In turns out that wasn't true at  all. According to Dow  Jones, Evo sales when  spanned out  across its first three days were actually on par with the  first-three-day sales  of the Instinct and the Pre."

I guess Hesse felt the need to exaggerate for some reason. I guess not as  many people bought the EVO as so many thought.

Given the intense discussion on the $10 premium fee, does this surprise anyone?

My 2 cents... not at all. If the numbers are the same as the instinct and the pre, this has to be extremely disappointing to Sprint if  they seriously thought they could compete with verizon and the juggernaut that is  AT&T. I still believe if they kill this fee they have a chance to get into this game before it's too late. With the Iphone 4 unveiled, the free media exposure for the EVO is fading fast and the real sales numbers are not good news for a phone that was supposed to be the savior for Sprint.

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: Sprint exaggerated 1st-day sales of the HTC Evo 4G, Does this surprise you?

The way I read the adjusted release was the first day sales of the EVO was 6 times the Instinct and twice the Pre and still exceeded both of those devices by the end of the weekend..  Seeing how most of the outlets had sold out is the main reason I would guess that even more weren't sold over last weekend... 

See this post from tonight....  http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/06/08/one-day-after-iphone-4-is-announced-sprints-evo-4g-sells-out/

Good news for Sprint in my book that they indeed have a hot phone that should have legs...  And I think it'll do even better as the 4G markets keep opening up..

Journeyman

It will be interesting to see if it has legs as you suggest. But the exaggeration is noteable especially considering the iphone 3G sold a million iphones in its opening weekend. The error cuts the EVO's initial sales estimate in half.

"BTIG analyst Walter Piecyk said he was cutting  his estimate for EVO sales in the first weekend to 150,000 from his  prior estimate of 250,000 to 300,000."

What I find interesting is Sprint would have had some idea of how many EVO's would be available to the public for purchase, preorder plus store-in-stock. So for Mr. Hesse to come out publically and state that the EVO sold more than three times the instinct and pre combined easily puts that number well above the 150,000 that would have been available to the public. The error should have been obvious to Sprint.

Journeyman

I don't think its fair to compare the sales of the iPhone 3GS. Come on thats the 2nd generation iPhone so there is already already a huge consumer base rabid and waiting for that phone. The EVO 4g is the first generation to come to Sprint and people were waiting till Monday to decide after the iPhone 4 annoucment. Reading the blogs showed many people weren't that impressed after all : ) Happy I got mine on Friday since the phone is sold out almost everywhere already.

Message was edited by: Lumpia91791

Journeyman

What's not fair about it, the EVO is an iteration and improvement of other droid phones, it certainly isn't the first of it's kind. As for the established user base point you stated, wasn't there supposedly a huge rabid group of consumers looking to pick up the EVO with all the pre sale EVO hype. This phone was supposed to add a ton of new customers while retaining their current ones with new 2-yr contracts in the opening week to prove without a doubt that Sprint had its own iphone killer and that it has righted its ship. Well that may still play out in the long run, but this sales numbers bungle isn't helping them.

If they knew they only had 150,000 or so available, that was going to be the max amount they were going to sell if they sold out, which is exactly what happened. When Apple is stealing all the headlines, Sprint needed to steal some of that spotlight for the EVO. Well their initial statements of triple sales of the instinct and pre combined certainly landed them several headlines, this error of inflating their numbers takes the shine out of their launch.

As for people not being impressed with the iphone4 in the blogs, there were plenty who were and those people are still going to buy a ton of them when it launches. The huge statement Sprint needed when they launched has turned out to be a bit of a paper tiger.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat