Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint may be forced to switch to LTE soon

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint may be forced to switch to LTE soon

I just ran across this article the other day, http://phandroid.com/2011/02/18/sprint-may-be-forced-to-switch-to-lte-soon/  Sounds as though Clearwire, their partner in Wimax 4g is not doing very well. I think switching to LTE would be a good idea because it sounds like it is much more suited to wireless data service. By operating on lower frequencies it can penetrate walls and other objects much better than Wimax. I live in Seattle which was one of the first cities to get Wimax and the coverage is spotty and limited at best. Unless I am outside and not moving I don't even bother using it. If Sprint does make the move to LTE I would hope they make the change slowly since I will now be waiting 22 months instead of 12 before I can upgrade from my 4g Wimax EVO.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

LTE sounds like it's already interferring with military radar systems.  Don't bank on LTE becoming anything if they can't fix that problem, and fix it soon.  The FCC will be forced to act on LTE

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't speak geekese, so what is LTE and how will it change my life?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am not an electronic expert either but from what I have read Wimax 4g carries data signals over the air on a frequency of 2.4ghz. This is a very high frequency that is also used by some cordless phones and Wifi systems. The higher the frequency the shorter a distance the radio  waves can travel. LTE operates at a lower frequency and the radio waves can travel longer distance and can penetrate walls a little better. Sort of like AM and FM on your car radio. You can usually pick up an AM station a lot farther way than FM because AM is on lower frequencies. My guess would be that LTE would give you a signal just about any place you can get a 3g signal now but with much higher speeds.       

Message was edited by: swanrunner

Highlighted
Journeyman
Highlighted
GrandMaster

isnt at&t or verizon running on LTE?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I know verizon does but only have two lte phones, dont know if their other phones will work on lte, not sure about att.  Just released a few houra ago that verizon will be expanding their lte network

Highlighted
GrandMaster

interesting. and LTE is for data or reception or both? this is what usually confuses me on this one.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat