cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint's bloatware apps make my phone a mess!

Journeyman

I understand the premise of bundling software with my phone and adding new software when an update comes out.  But I should be allowed to get rid of those I don't want, need, or foresee the need for.  It used to be possible on Windows phones.  Why not on Android?  Even hiding and disabling unwanted apps would be nice. 

Instead, I have an apps list that's crowded with apps, 2/3 of which I've never used and will never use.  And at any given time I can check my running apps list, and guess what?!?!  A lot of the apps running are the ones I never use nor have any interest in using.  And many apps launch on startup that I don't want launched until needed.

In fact, I JUST upgraded my phone to Gingerbread a moment ago.  Lets see what's running that I either don't want or use, or started up before I need it to:

Droid Armory for World of Warcraft.   -   Use it, but don't want it auto-launching.

TeleNav GPS Navigator    -    Almost never use it, shouldn't autostart anyway.

Maps  -   Use it, but don't want it auto-launching.

Market  -  Use it, but don't want it auto-launching.

Not too bad!   But other times I'll find any of the following running in the background: Stocks, Footprints, Blockbuster, Flikr, Facebook, NASCAR, and Sprint Zone.  I don't use these, and at most I've glanced at a couple just long enough to know I don't need it.   Yet I find them running unbidden by the user, who theoretically is supposed to not only know what's running, but be able to control what's running.

So I'd like Sprint to answer why they won't allow those of us who don't want some of these apps to simply remove them?   I've got ZERO interest in the stock market, why have that icon taking up space on my apps list and the software taking up memory I could otherwise use?  I didn't WANT that Nova game on my phone, but you put it there anyway.  Maybe if you allowed users a bit more control over what's on THEIR phones you'd have happier customers.  I can see now why people root their phones, but I don't want the hassles that go along with that.

So please Sprint, set my phone free of the bloatware and auto-start crap that's making it less enjoyable to own.

3 REPLIES 3
Master

I agree that I don't want the resources of my Evo being taken up by applications that I don't want to use and we appreciate your concern and I will make sure to pass along your thoughts.  You can prevent stocks from running by disabling it under accounts & sync - maps a lot of time will run in the background because you might be signed into Lattitude or your location information is needed by some other program and that is purely a Google application. On Android 2.2 and above there is a built in task manager that automatically devotes less resources to applications that aren't used for a specific amount of time.  Sometimes you may see an app running but the phone is devoting 0 resources for that app. 

If you are interested, you can find out more about how Android 2.2 and above manages applications: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=do+I+need+a+task+manager+for+android+2.2&aq=f&aqi=g1&...=

And thank you for sharing your concerns

Journeyman

What about the mess of app icons in the app drawer that I neither need nor want?  What about the storage space wasted by crapware I don't need?  Sure, the task manager may be keeping the processor usage down, but it does nothing to reclaim wasted storage space.  If I could, I'd get rid of the following:

Amazon MP3, Blockbuster, Footprints, GMail, HTC Mobile Guide, Kindle, Lattitude, NASCAR, NOVA, Peep, Qik (no one uses it), QuickOffice (seems to have no use), Sprint Football..., Sprint Zone, Stocks, Google Talk, Teeter, and TeleNav.  That's a lot of icons for things I don't need.  And it would be nice to put a lot of the Google utility apps in a folder so they don't take up a lot of space (Videos, Music, etc.). 

Besides, who needs three navigation apps???  (Maps, Navigation, and TeleNav.)  If you want us to try TeleNav, make an announcement, put it on special for Sprint users, whatever.  But don't force us to have it on our phones if we don't need it.

As for stuff running in the background, I checked the sync settings.  Apparently installing 2.1 must have re-enabled Stocks, Facebook, and GMail sync, because I know I'd disabled everything but the weather a long time ago.  Just having these run in the background has killed a half-full battery in under an hour. 

Master

What about the mess of app icons in the app drawer that I neither need nor want?  You can install a different Launcher such as Launcher pro or ADW and hide any applications you don't want to show up in the App Drawer

What about the storage space wasted by crapware I don't need?  In all actuality, the combined total space that all the preinstalled applications take up is less than 30 megabites out of the total internal phone storage space of 512 Megs.  In fact I added up all the space they take up on my Evo and it is 29.72 megabytes.  You can move applications from internal storage to the SD card to get some space back depending on the application.

Besides, who needs three navigation apps???  As an advancted technical support representative, you would be surprised at the number of people who call in and want their Telenav to work properly and they like it the best out of all the nav apps.  Some locations are not found by it though and it's a good idea to use Google Navigation in that case.  Maps is good for satellite view and it is necessary for other location based services like Latitude and other core Google apps.

If you want us to try TeleNav, make an announcement, put it on special for Sprint users, whatever.  But don't force us to have it on our phones if we don't need it.  I can appreciate how you feel, but Telenav just has a different name though and it's basically Sprint Navigation which we've offered on the majority if not all our phones for over 5 years now.  It's also included in all of our Everything Data plans.

As for stuff running in the background, I checked the sync settings.  Apparently installing 2.1 must have re-enabled Stocks, Facebook, and GMail sync, because I know I'd disabled everything but the weather a long time ago.  Just having these run in the background has killed a half-full battery in under an hour.  I apologize about this.  Sometimes after upgrading software there are glitches and I do apologize for the inconvenience.

I hope I've been able to address some of your concerns and we apprecaite your business.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat