cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint... what happened? 2.3.3 update lost 802.11n 2.4GHz support?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint... what happened? 2.3.3 update lost 802.11n 2.4GHz support?

I have a 2.4 GHz n router.  I was using my home wifi perfectly until I performed the Android 2.3.3 update. I have had to back off to 802.11g standard on my home access point so my wife and I can connect.  Anyone else having this issue?  And my question to Sprint is; What up wit dat? Was 802.11n that much of a battery hog? Man, Funk dat!

48 REPLIES 48
Highlighted
Journeyman

Update your PRL and all will be fine.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unfortunately it is not the solution. Thanks for the suggestion though. Sprint probably disabled 2.4 Ghz n because the transmit and recieve on a wider 40 mhz channel consumes more battery. It would have been nice to have the option though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Odd, I have a 2.4GHz router also.  After the update 2.4 was not working for me, I updated the PRL, power cycled the phone and I'm using it right now.

Well, I hope you find a solution!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can absolutely confirm you can no longer to a wireless n only network. I've posted this in several places.

While it may be true that the Evo doesn't technically meet the wireless n standard as there is no antenna diversity on-board, I could still connect at 65 Mbps. There was an XDA hack to do this in Eclair and "above wireless g" was included with Froyo.

Post update, I had to set my access point to mixed b/g/n mode to even get a connection and now it is only at 54 Mbps, wireless g. This is 11 Mbps those of us with N networks have lost. How fast is WiMax supposed to be? (I wouldn't know since they don't have it here in the 6th largest city in the country)

Highlighted
Journeyman

No you cannot "absolutely confirm" this.  I'm on a 'n' only network and it is working find. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Huh? I can absolutely confirm I can no longer connect to my access point if it is configured as N only.

So, if you go into you wireless settings on your phone and look at your connection, what speed does it say you connected at? What router or access point are you using?FYI,  I am using the 2.4 GHz band of a D-Link DAP-2553 AirPremier N Dual Band PoE Business Class Access Point with the latest firmware. (WPA2+TKIP) Used to work. Doesn't anymore unless I enable b/g/n or b/g multi-mode.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Elizabeth,

Sorry for the delay in responding. 

Confirming that you cannot connect to your router is vastly different than saying you can "I can absolutely confirm you can no longer to a wireless n only network..."

And I might add, if this were the case, there would be a deluge of posts and complaints to Sprint about this; and there are not.

As for my network; I'm connectin g to my E2000 dual band set to 2.4 GHz, which is switchable, but not auto-switchable, and set to 2.4 N only  My network is closed so I'm certain what AP I'm connecting to. 

I'm not at home right now so I can't give you the connect speed, but I'll update with the speed this evening.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My apologies for the tone of my post, but I'm curious as to how the EVO can connect to a wireless N network at all, considering it NEVER HAD THE RADIO TO SUPPORT WIRELESS N. The N standard requires 2 antennas to utilize the bandwidth. The EVO only has one. Besides, why is everyone complaining about it? You won't be getting on the internet ANY FASTER. You are only going to see this speed utilized from your phone, to the router and to any other devices on your internal network.

Your phone will only go as fast as your internet connection, that your router is connected to.

**edit**

Ok, after some google searching, I found a reference on ifixit.com that said the EVO contains a chip that support WiFi,Bluetooth and FM radio. It also states that it is capable of Wireless N, but there are/were no drivers support for it, in the android code base. So it looks like what we had was a hacked driver or limited support in Froyo, that has since been taken away. However, in my defense, I have yet to find another site that confirms what ifixit.com has said, in regards to the wireless chip.

My apologies for the tirade.

Highlighted
Journeyman

No need to apologize; you clearly haven't seen some of my posts on other sites.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Considering I have no idea who you are, then you're right!

We're only losing 11Mbps throughput though, and this is one of MANY threads about losing the Wireless N capability. They probably disabled it, because the battery drain outweighed the benefit of making it available.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well hidey-ho..I can also absolutely confirm that my HTC Evo has lost its ability to connect to wireless N networks after this software update as well. I bought this phone FOR its 802.11n spec, so this is not acceptable. As for those of you who say you are still connecting to N networks, are you absolutely positive that the networks in question are not running g and n capability together or b and n together? Because, my N only network is no longer allowing my Evo to connect, and I downloaded the update on said network. I just spent two hours on phone with Sprint moving up through multiple tiers of support, and the final answer was to take it to a service center and have older software put back on phone. This is so not convenient for several reasons. At elast if you bork the software, have the courtesy to make the versions that do work available for push down to the phone.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat