cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint... what happened? 2.3.3 update lost 802.11n 2.4GHz support?

Journeyman

Sprint Installation Support - Android Update, has confirmed my experience with two Evo's. Wireless-N does not work on the current Android 2.3 update. Sprint expects to have a maintenance release in a few days that will address the "N" problem and other compatibility issues.

Journeyman

Wicked_Girl wrote:

Well hidey-ho..I can also absolutely confirm that my HTC Evo has lost its ability to connect to wireless N networks after this software update as well. I bought this phone FOR its 802.11n spec, so this is not acceptable. As for those of you who say you are still connecting to N networks, are you absolutely positive that the networks in question are not running g and n capability together or b and n together? Because, my N only network is no longer allowing my Evo to connect, and I downloaded the update on said network. I just spent two hours on phone with Sprint moving up through multiple tiers of support, and the final answer was to take it to a service center and have older software put back on phone. This is so not convenient for several reasons. At elast if you bork the software, have the courtesy to make the versions that do work available for push down to the phone.

802.11n was never a selling point of this device. There were never any official statements saying that the EVO was 802.11n compatible, by Sprint or HTC. It's always stated 802.11b/g compatible. The EVO also supports the EVDO rev.B standard but Sprint doesn't support it. Should I complain about that too? You bought this phone SPECIFICALLY for the fact that it has an 802.11n chip, even though it was never marketed or sold as being 802.11n compatible?

Yes, this update removes the 802.11n functionality from the device, which was crippled at best and only worked at 65 Mbps (since the EVO on has 1 antenna). You will have to set your network back to mixed mode to allow the Evo to connect on the G standard. You can also head over to XDA developers or Androidforums.com (they have an EVO forum with links to official .zip images that can roll you back to previous versions of the software).

Sorry to be such a dork about this, it's really nothing personal but it is what it is. This phone is stated as only compatible with 802.11b/g, regardless of whether they snuck in a crippled 802.11n driver with Froyo, it's gone now. Now the HTC Arrive (Windows Phone) is N compatible, and that thing can REACH! I had it on my corporate network and could walk 5+ suites away to the center of the building and still get signal. My Evo can barely get the G signal from across the hall...lol.

Journeyman

Re: Sprint... what happened? 2.3.3 update lost 802.11n 2.4GHz support?

Sorry to be such a dork about this, it's really nothing personal but it is what it is. This phone is stated as only compatible with 802.11b/g,

You sir, are absolutely, positively, wrong. (At least so far as to suggest that the Evo 4G shouldn't work on N.) Given that it has worked from the beginning, specs that are published by Sprint are not relevant when the phone has worked from the beginning on N. And really, do we even care what another phone does? You are on the HTC Evo 4G forum, in case you forgot. It is dorky to bring up how good YOUR phone is in any case.

The Evo WAS wireless N supported in the initial roll-out. Sprint has recoginized their mistake and are putting out an update soon.

The Evo 4G had Wireless-N to begin with and supported the specification for an entire year. I ought to know - I have owned two Evo's for a year.

Journeyman

unpluggedEvo wrote:

Sorry to be such a dork about this, it's really nothing personal but it is what it is. This phone is stated as only compatible with 802.11b/g,

You sir, are absolutely, positively, wrong.

The had Wireless-N to begin with and supported the specificatio for an entire year. I ought to know - I have owned both for a year.

So you assume that just because they had a crippled driver on the phone for it, for over a year, means that it was officially supported? I'm looking at the manual for my EVO, you know what it says? 802.11b/g compatible. So dude, just shut up. Sprint/HTC NEVER came out and said that the EVO was Wireless N compatible. If they have issued any formal press releases, or website interviews or support documentation stating this, then BY ALL MEANS LINK IT AND I WILL SHUT UP. Why would they officially support Wireless N when it only has 1 FREAKING ANTENNA YOU MORON. Can you imagine the PR nightmare that they would go through over that? Just because a crippled driver was shipped with Froyo for the EVO DOES NOT MEAN IT WAS A SUPPORTED PROTOCOL.

Goodness, it's like arguing with a damn stop sign. Can you please provide some facts for your rhetoric?

Will a Sprint rep PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL, come in here and settle this stupid Wireless N issue and set the record straight? If a Sprint rep will come in here and confirm that they officially support the 802.11n protocol on this device, I will personally remove EVERY SINGLE THREAD that I've posted on for this issue, and shut up about it.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

Currently Being Moderated

495. Jun 8, 2011 3:33 PM                             (in response to elisabethby)
6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)

I'm sorry to hear that you are no longer able to connect through 802.11 N. I understand how you feel about wireless security, most people if they have thier SSID hidden, and a strong encryption key find their network to be very secure. as far as using N goes I do know that the HTC Evo has hardware capable of connecting to N but I cannot find any documenttation showing this was enabled in a software update from Sprint/HTC/Google. If you are still having trouble with Astro file manager after reinstalling I suggest using E Strongs file explorer which also will connect via SMB share for file transfers. I hope this helps, please post back if you have more questions

the way im reading it is yes the phone has the ability...but was never supposed to be able to in the first place.

hope this helps lol

page 34

Message was edited by: fireguy_63

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Yes, 802.11n was listed in the specs for this phone when I purchased it. I triple checked the spec, as I was attending college for Computer Security at the time, and I had learned about the differences in the different specs' security and wanted the best available. So, Sprint better get this spec back asap. I can always go back to the older software (at least I hope I can), but this inconvenience and f'up by Sprint is somewhat mind-boggling, as I have always been a firm Sprint supporter, in spite of their flaws.

Journeyman

Fireguy, it was listed right on Sprint's web site for a long time. Whether it is or not now, I do not know nor care. Do we really all have to start taking pictures of web pages for every item we purchase so that a year or two down the road we can prove something? Sheesh!

Journeyman

unpluggedEvo

Thank God. Thanks for the helpful info.

Journeyman

PHEFNER79

Geez dude. Calm down! Is this really so vital to you personally? Your  life will not end over this whether you are right or wrong. As I stated  in another post, this WAS a stated spec on the Sprint web site when I  ordered the phone. I triple-checked it because it was so important to  me. So, if was quietly removed, then that is not cool. I do remember  that this ability was something that was allowed around the middle of  last year with a software update, and I had waited until the capability  became available before I purchased the phone. The particular update was  sometime around June of 2010. Here is a link discussing it somewhat:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/130000-so-does-evo-officially-support-802-11...

And a couple more links off the top of my head for some additional interesting info:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC-Evo-4G-Teardown/2979/2

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/88789-potential-802-11n-wireless-n-evo.html

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=6236

You know...me-thinks it is just time to root my phone anyway. Time to learn some new things. I need to get Nascar, Sprint NFL Live, stock crap, and NOVA off my phone anyway. 

Journeyman

Wicked_Girl wrote:

PHEFNER79

Geez dude. Calm down! Is this really so vital to you personally? Your  life will not end over this whether you are right or wrong. As I stated  in another post, this WAS a stated spec on the Sprint web site when I  ordered the phone. I triple-checked it because it was so important to  me. So, if was quietly removed, then that is not cool. I do remember  that this ability was something that was allowed around the middle of  last year with a software update, and I had waited until the capability  became available before I purchased the phone. The particular update was  sometime around June of 2010. Here is a link discussing it somewhat:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/130000-so-does-evo-officially-support-802-11...

And a couple more links off the top of my head for some additional interesting info:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC-Evo-4G-Teardown/2979/2

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/88789-potential-802-11n-wireless-n-evo.html

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=6236

You know...me-thinks it is just time to root my phone anyway. Time to learn some new things. I need to get Nascar, Sprint NFL Live, stock ****, and NOVA off my phone anyway. 

Yeah, yesterday was a bad day. I do apologize to everyone for the tone of that post. I can't take it back now, but I stand by what I said. I have never seen Wireless N as an official spec for the EVO, on Sprint's website, promotional/marketing materials, in-store, ever. That doesn't mean others didn't say "hey this has a wireless N chip in it". It's obvious enough that it does have the chip, and I'm not arguing that, nor am I arguing that it didn't work. Obviously it did. What I'm stating is that people shouldn't be complaining about the loss of a feature that this phone should never have had in the first place. That much is Sprint/HTC's fault for not catching it beforehand, but Sprint made the bed, now they can lay in it.

If you will look a couple of posts back, I mentioned going to Androidforums.com and in the EVO forums, they have a rooting section, complete with links to flashable .zip files that will revert to previous software builds. I recommend staying off of 3.51 (December update) and instead go back to 3.29 (October) because it doesn't have Nova and the other c.r.a.p. that came with the December update (3.51), that would be the best thing that you can do for your phone.

This is my last post on this issue. Good luck folks. If the loss of Wireless N is that crucial to your happiness, and enabling mixed mode on your router is just too difficult to do, then may you speedily find a phone that can suit all of your needs.

Journeyman

PHEFNER79...Seriously kind of you to recommend a ROM to try. That will save me a bunch of hassle. As far as Sprint, they did in fact list the spec right on their web site in the store. I never buy anything based on discussed specs on other sites. What I may have been unclear about is that I waited until Froyo was released on the Evo, then verified in the Sprint store that the wireless n spec was listed. At that point, I pulled the trigger and purchased. I had waited for some time to purchase an Evo for just that capability. I think this is why some people are so lathered, including me, although I am somewhat more mellow about it because I had always intended to root the Evo at some point. I didn't want to be forced to do it though. However, like I said, it is time for me to learn something new anyway. I will follow up on your advice, and make sure I lok over the ROM you mentioned. Not having all the extra crap would be FUN! Thanks again for the advice. Here's hoping Sprint removes their collective heads from their bums too!  

It could be worse, I guess. I could be receiving Congressman Weiner's pics on my Evo! LOL!!!

Master

A few of the posts, as some have you have already acknowledged, have a disrespectful tone. Those were also reported by users as such and have subsequently been removed as per Community Guidelines, or edited by administrators. 

This is a good discussion, please treat each other kindly.

Thanks,

Mapesy

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat