cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still waiting for Android 2.3

Journeyman

Still waiting for Android 2.3

Well...we're past Thanksgiving, on the way to Xmas. Still hoping for the OTA of Android 2.3 . The Nexus series is getting the update, and the new phones will be released on Dec. 16th, with the software installed. Hoping that my HTC EVO will get the OTA update before xmas. Want to buy my fiancee an EVO and would like to be able to explore the software and show her how to use the phone by xmas.

C'mon SPRINT and HTC, send us our xmas GINGERBREAD 2.3!

Happy Holidays!

17 REPLIES 17
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Still waiting for Android 2.3

It's been about ten days since Google released the code to the device mfgs. They need to update their codebase and drivers for the hardware. Then the carriers (that'd be us) have to certify the update works as designed.

We're committed to the Android platform and will post news about updates to existing phones and new devices here. Thanks for the comment!

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Is there a date you hope to have the release ready?  Please tell me you have addressed battery life.

Sprint Product Ambassador

No.  Sprint does not comment on future dates for products.  To quote Android Central:

But given that Gingerbread is officially all of four days old -- and only the SDK has been released, not source code for the manufacturers -- a little patience wouldn't kill anybody, would it?

Sprint cannot update, or commit dates for updates, until the people that make the phones get the code.  They still have to test for compatiblity and update their drivers and hardware interfaces.  Then Sprint will test the update to ensure it works correctly.  Once testing is complete and we have a working build, we will post a date in many public places, including here.

Thanks for your interest!

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Thanks so much for the info. I have been very happy with the Sprint service, and the HTC EVO phone. I bought it last summer.

We had had an update to 2.2, and it exceeded my expectations. I was thinking that the 2.3 update would come as quickly, but your explanation about the testing and insuring that there would be very few bugs makes sense.

I will be patient and continue to enjoy 2.2, until notified of the 2.3 release for the EVO.

Again, much thanks for your time and explanation.

Happy Holidays!

Wizard

allreeds08291955 wrote:

Thanks so much for the info. I have been very happy with the Sprint service, and the HTC EVO phone. I bought it last summer.

We had had an update to 2.2, and it exceeded my expectations. I was thinking that the 2.3 update would come as quickly, but your explanation about the testing and insuring that there would be very few bugs makes sense.

I will be patient and continue to enjoy 2.2, until notified of the 2.3 release for the EVO.

Again, much thanks for your time and explanation.

Happy Holidays!

Sprint/HTC churned out the 2.2 update within 5 weeks of code launch (first of any phones besides Nexus 1).....so, using that line of thinking, we should have it in the beginning of January.  That sure would be nice to see it before Christmas or even early Jan, but these things take a little time.  No one has 2.3 on their phones yet and won't until that Nexus S is launched.  2.3 is pretty incremental for Evo users with the HTC Sense UI.  We have many of the UI improvements already, front facing camera support and other things already that users will actually notice.  There has been some tweaking under the hood, but nothing as dramatic as what was happening with the 2.1 to 2.2 transition (JIT compiler, security, etc.).  Native VoIP/SIP will be nice as well as improved gaming performance, but again, apps will need to be written to take advantage of those things.

to quote my favorite book...."Relax! Have a homebrew!"

Journeyman

Thanks for the info everyone.  I love my EVO and get excited when I hear new things are coming.  Yes, a home brew sounds great.

Journeyman

The 2.2 update made sense because the EVO had just been released on the market shortly before.  We're now six months into the EVO lifecycle, undoubtedly with an array of newer, faster, flashier devices just over the horizon.  The 2.3 update for the EVO isn't necessarily a sure thing anymore.  It certainly has the power for Gingerbread, and it would give Sprint some good PR points to push the update out.  History, on the other hand, is against the EVO.  It's very, very rare for high end devices to receive multiple, significant official OS updates (not maintenance releases).  The Nexus One and iPhone are the only two that come to mind...maybe the original G1.

I hope Sprint does the right thing for EVO owners and pushes the Gingerbread update out.  Then blow us away with an even better device in June so we have reason to upgrade again.  If they do decide to offer GB, I hope Sprint takes the extra step to give users the ability to disable the Sense UI if they wish.  It would only make the device even more appealing to give users the CHOICE of running native Android, or Sensified Android.

Message was edited by: RichFu

Wizard

The Evo is still the top phone out there. Only bested by the Nexus S that just launched today. Although the carrier and some features (no SD, no notification light) still put the Evo at the top for me. This phone will no doubt get the update, its still Sprint's flagship Android device and HTC knows what they are doing.

Highlighted
Journeyman

allreeds1 wrote:

Well...we're past Thanksgiving, on the way to Xmas. Still hoping for the OTA of Android 2.3 . The Nexus series is getting the update, and the new phones will be released on Dec. 16th, with the software installed. Hoping that my HTC EVO will get the OTA update before xmas. Want to buy my fiancee an EVO and would like to be able to explore the software and show her how to use the phone by xmas.

C'mon SPRINT and HTC, send us our xmas GINGERBREAD 2.3!

Happy Holidays!

Journeyman

Does anyone know if 2.3 will fix the bluetooth stack when it comes out? I use A2DP a lot and the current audio quality is unacceptable and defininitely unacceptable in a device that is positioned as a premium Android device. In a device that is a premium device, I expect premium audio quality. The unfortunate poor bluetooth audio quality is discussed all over the web so Sprint/HTC really needs to fix this serious shortcoming in their top device as this is a serious issue for a lot of people that is not unnoticed.

And speaking of bluetooth issues, with 2.2 there is a lot of interferance between Wi-Fi and bluetooth. I have to turn off WiFi when talking on a bluetooth earpiece or when streaming audio A2DP. I don't know if this is a RFI issue or a firmware issue, but I don't recall it being that bad with 2.1 (which would suggest a firmware issue rather than RFI). Will this be fixed in 2.3?

Journeyman

ROBOMILLER1,

I am using a stock EVO with 2.2 on the 3.70 update and i use a Motorola S305 BT Headset with no problems. I dont stream music but listen to plenty of MP3s on it with no problems. The audio quality is excellent i have no complaints.

I also have not noticed the WiFi interference your talkind about. When i am at work i run WiFi all day, same time i am listening to music and again no issues.

I get to work, turn on WiFi, plug in my phone, set it on my desk and a few times a week i will use the stereo headphones to listen to music.

You dont mention how far away your getting from the phone to your headphones, or what make / model headphones. Have you tried anything else with the BT to see if its that?

I have also used an earpiece for phone calls, H17, H15, H680 (yup all Motorola) and have had no issues with them as well.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat