Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Self Typing and Apps Opening & Closing

Journeyman

Strange Self Typing and Apps Opening & Closing

Here is a complete account of the problems I am having....

First, on Saturday 31 December, I was surfing the internet on my phone and all of the sudden a pictire on the web page I was viewing was selected. Then the 'save image' menu poped-up, then the phone itself scrolled through the options and selected the 'Set Image As Wallpaper' option, and then the menu closed. At the time, I did think the whole thing was strange, but I rationalized it as me possibally sending too may touch commands to the device (even though I was not touching the screen when the afore mentioned occurred). Anyway, I went into the settings and fixed my Wallpaper.

Then on Tuesday 3 Jan, I turned on my HTC EVO device. I checked my e-mail, and then checked out a video on YouTube using the app. I then decided to comment on the video that I had just watched, and as I started to type my comment, the on-screen keyboard started typing random letters and characters. I kept deleting the unwanted text and it kept typing it out. Then I tried to reboot the phone and it froze up and I was forced to do a 'battery pull' (which I know is not great for an Android phone). Once the phone came back up, I tried to send an e-mail to Lookout and the on-screen keyboard started typing random letters and characters again. I again fought the problem with the delete key and again the phone froze, forcing me to do another 'battery pull'. Once the phone rebooted, I then accessed a forum, and attempted to type a message, at which time the on-screen keyboard started repeatedly typing 6 and y. I somehow finally got it to stop and was able to post my message. A little later, however, the phone froze again, and this time after it rebooted, following another ' battery pull' I was on one of my alternate home screen panels, and the phone started attempting to remove icons from the panel by trying to drag them to the bottom of the screen.

Basicly, with all of the afore mentioned issues it seemed as if someone was controlling my phone remotely, and was messing with me.

So in the end, my questions are this....

Has anyone else experienced this problem ?

and

Could a virus or exploit be allowing someone to remotely control by HTC EVO Android device through a 'Middle Man' attack using my the WiFi on my phone and my home WiFi network ?

Any advice is greatly welcome.

4 REPLIES 4
Master

Anything is technically possible.  To rule out a "wifi-attack," turn wifi off.  Does it still happen?  Also, there are many "rogue" apps in the Android Market and Androids are highly customizable.  Try going to the Market - Menu - My apps and see if there are any "unrecognized" apps; uninstall, if so. 

Otherwise, if your phone IS truly being controlled remotely, and you are unable to find an app that's the culprit, you will have to erase your phone.  All data stored to an SD card is unaffected by a hard reset.  Contacts are either in google or can be exported to the SD.  An Application history can be found at market.android.com by logging in with the same gmail email that was used to download and install your current apps.  

It's also possible that your touch screen may be malfunctioning.  Although scrolling through a menu for a specific action does not typically denote a "random anomoly," the other occurances you did mention are more random and can be attributed to a malfuction of the touch display. 

Tom 

GrandMaster

also does it happen while plugged in and charging or while tethered to a computer/lap top?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

sounds like your digitizer is going bad

Journeyman

I have the same problem and I rooted my phone and installed a custom rom.  It's more of a touch screen malfunction than anything.  It's annoying for a little but turning the screen off and waiting a few seconds before turning it back on tends to remedy the problem.  Every once in a while it gets ridiculous and I have to reboot my phone to make it stop. 

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat