cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Submitting bugs and complaints...

Submitting bugs and complaints...

Is there an official way to submit a complaint or bugs about the Android platform?   Are they supposed to be submitted to HTC?  Google?  The only people that are getting my money is Sprint.  In my view Sprint is obligated to put pressure on HTC and/or Google to ensure that the Android platform is sound for their customers.

I have posted this before about the Calendar 'edit' feature being broken.  There are numerous other complaints about other things.  At this point, I cannot recommend my device, the EVO, or Sprint for that matter to anyone.  I was so satisfied with the device when on Android 2.1, now it stinks. 

I would like to know that the issues that are brought forth here are seriously considered and addressed.  And that this is not just some sounding board for customers to share complaints and issues that are never addressed.  As I approach the end of my 30 day period as a new customer, Verizon is looking more and more attract by the day.  You may be cheaper, but when saving money on my plan with you is actually costing my company money, I wind up on the losing end.  I cannot believe the calendar has been broken by the 2.2 update and you don't acknowledge it and offer a solution.

I guess that it is just too much trouble to fix an obvious and blatant bug when you are not inundated with complaints.  How about this...Could I receive a $40 credit on my bill to cover the cost of purchasing Touchdown for my two EVO's?  It seems the least you could do, seeing as how the Calendar has been broken by you.

A very unsatisfied new Sprint customer.

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Submitting bugs and complaints...

My advice is to hit all the related parties. Sprint only provides service, and their people don't know the inner workings of every phone. They can do limited trouble shooting, but that's about it. HTC does all the custom software and all the drivers. They should be your primary target when you have bugs in Sense or related apps. Calendar issue falls under that. Google's Android team is in charge of the underlying platform. If there is a problem with a Google app (such as Gmail) or something that affects more than just one type of phone on a particular version (aka Froyo on both Stock and Sense builds has some issue) then you may want to talk to them.

Sorry to hear you have some issues. I know that most issues people experience are due to glitches done by the upgrade process. These can easily be fixed by doing a factory data reset. That should fix most problems with your phone after the update (battery life, web browser crashing, performance worse than before instead of better, etc)

Maybe if you could post other issues you are having, I could help. I don't know of the bug in calendar, but I don't use it enough to notice. What other bugs have you found?

Highlighted

I personally am not having any other problems.  But the issues that the Droid has and continues to have with Exchange are widely documented.  The Android has a long way to go before it could be considered a solid enterprise solution.

I do not believe that this is a glitch.  I would like anyone to find an EVO that does not do this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3-Kv76fb5Q

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, sorry, I use glitch and bug interchangeably. This would be a glitch that affects anyone running this build of software. After watching the video and doing some testing, I can confirm this happens, and it happens no matter what calendar type it is (Exchange, PC Sync, Google, etc). I can see this being annoying to some, though its definitely something that can be easily worked around. This would be an HTC bug, so you may want to contact their support.

As for enterprise, I'll agree. Though I don't work with Enterprise things, I know that there is still a lot missing. There's enough to work for smaller businesses and such, but it doesn't have the features and robustness of Blackberry or Windows Mobile. I don't think the iPhone can really be a serious Enterprise phone either, but both Android and iPhone have come a long ways in their development. The nice thing is that Google is focusing a little more on enterprise stuff now, so I'm sure it will be just as good as Blackberry before too long. Of course, if more businesses switch over to Google Apps, then they won't need to do much more to the system, as it already integrates very well with Google's solutions.

Anyways, good catch on that bug. Hopefully they will fix it in the next MR.

Highlighted

I don't really know how it is easily gotten around.  Sometimes the notes I have for appointments are very technical and product specs that I cannot copy and paste, because Droid doesn't support that.  This is a major bug for any business person that schedule appointments outside of the office.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You could make it a syncable calendar, so either a Google calendar or an Exchange calendar. Then it would automatically sync up to a server, where you could easily edit it from a desktop. If you want to still be able to do it from your phone, just use a Google calendar and then open the web app if you ever need to edit it. You should be able to edit it online that way, and therefore get around the bug. Like I said, it would still be annoying when you are mobile, but I don't think the solution is all that bad. It should only last until the next update.

Highlighted

I already use Exchange and the OWA (Outlook Web Access) is 10X harder to use than the native calendar.  It can be done, but it sucks completely.  It is slow and far more difficult.  Waiting for the next update is a problem when Google is saying things like this...http://androidandme.com/2010/06/news/interviews/android-will-move-to-a-yearly-update-cycle/  They need to release a patch to fix this now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually, Google going to a yearly or bi yearly release cycle is actually a good thing for what you want. That means they'll have more time to get things done right and they could send out patches more efficiently. In this case, this is an HTC problem, and as such, will be fixed in HTC's timeframe, not Google's. Seems like a minor bug, so they should be able to patch it in the coming weeks. Usually after a major upgrade, HTC releases an MR in the weeks following to patch up bugs that were brought in the upgrade, so I'm sure this will be resolved soon.

As for Exchange, I know that it sucks for calendars. Outlook on your desktop is at least a little better, but then you have to use a desktop and it still isn't as nice as doing it on your phone. I would recommend Google Calendar if at all possible. The mobile interface is actually really good, and it does sync right away. Like I said, the fixes aren't too bad, but they still aren't going to be absolutely convenient. I wish you luck.

Highlighted

Yes Google going to a longer cycle on updates will be a good thing.  But if I have to wait for their update to fix it, it does me no good to have a crippled device for 12 months.  I hope that you are right about HTC patching it relatively soon.

I am not going to argue with you but the available work-around are not really viable options.  I am running a business and have things working properly for us.  I have no desire to have to jump through hoops to accommodate HTC or Google's failure to get it right.  But I will need to solution that works in real life and not just on paper very, very soon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, I really am sorry. I'm also not trying to argue, just seeing if there was a solution that could work for you. Apparently, you really can't use the easier methods, so I guess you'll just have to do the best you can for the time being.

As for the 12 months thing. The point is, Google will be more likely to patch these smaller issues (though its not them this time) and so fixes will actually come faster. By not doing full upgrades all the time, they won't wait to roll out fixes until the next full release is ready. This is how it was when the G1 was the only device. They rolled out a lot of smaller updates, rather than waiting for full releases to make fixes available. As I said before, HTC does a lot of MRs that have nothing to do with Google's release schedule, so they will always make fixes available on their own time, usually being a little faster. The nice thing about Sense is that HTC does a lot of their own patches and fixes, so even when Google's release has a bug, HTC might patch it themselves sooner, then transition to the official fix later on.

Anyway, I'm sorry that there isn't much more help available for this bug. I wish I could have been more help.

Highlighted

Thanks for your efforts, maybe the options you bring up will work for others.  Let's go HTC, give me a fix!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat