cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sucker fee? $10 Fee

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sucker fee? $10 Fee

I am thinking about the $10 charge for the privilege of obtaining an Evo.  I am guessing in a few months, when sales drop  or later in 2010 when V's 4G network gets turned on, then Sprint might drop the $10 charge.  That would mean we would all be stuck with the $10/month for 2 years in our contract, while new customers would have no such fee. If that happened what would our recourse be?

I just realized that it would be cheaper to pay for the phone outright with upgrade and MIR, and not sign a 2 year contract if it were to happen that the $10 fee got dropped.

I am going to have to think about this a bit.  Any thoughts from the rest of you?

Message was edited by: IzzyKS

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sucker fee?

I believe the maximum fee for breaking contract is $200.  Correct me if I am wrong, pls.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The more I think about it, the more I think Sprint screwed the pooch on that fee. I really don't see people buying what their justification is, especially in non-4G markets (which is most of them). People are petty. When they see that fee, there are going to be an awful lot of lost sales. They don't care what it's for. They just care that they are being nickel-and-dimed an extra $10 for something called "4G" which, by the way, they don't exactly know what it means or does.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Drop it when Verizon releases their 4G network? lol. Verizon already promised higher prices and they even mentioned that they may NOT even have unlimited data for 4G.... Verizon is expensive and is still top dog in the US... They are not going to change, trust me.

At&T will also be bumping the charge for 4G.... When they unleash their networks, you're probably gona be happy you're on Sprint

Highlighted
Journeyman

Trinifella wrote:

Drop it when Verizon releases their 4G network? lol. Verizon already promised higher prices and they even mentioned that they may NOT even have unlimited data for 4G.... Verizon is expensive and is still top dog in the US... They are not going to change, trust me.

At&T will also be bumping the charge for 4G.... When they unleash their networks, you're probably gona be happy you're on Sprint

Do you have any links to back this up?

Highlighted
Journeyman

They can always drop Sprint for Clear if they live in a 4g area, once Clear begins shipping phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am really not bitting on this fee. AndroidCentral is reporting this is for use of the video chat application and any other application they tailored for the phone. I'm sure, but isn't the point of an open source OS to have free applications? Sure, everyone has a right to earn money on their product (ie, paid applications). But considering I don't know anyone outside of my immediate family on Sprint, who would I video chat with? Also, I'm sure Google will release an updated version of GTalk with video integration (already have it on web).

Also, I am not bitting on this being a 4G fee. Considering the VAST majority of Sprint's customer base isn't covered, how could they charge for it? Companies charge for services they provide. Being outside of a 4G converage, with no news on IF I would get it during the 2 year contract I would sign, why would I pay for it?

If they bundled what ever this service entails WITH the hotspot for $30, then I could see myself getting it. Otherwise, thanks for playing. Sprint, you're going against your current marketing strategy here. You're now doing the nickel and dime strategy you speak against.

For those of you saying "stop whining", are you in a 4G market and/or have a large amount of people you talk to ON the Sprint network (for QiK)? If yes to either, great, you have a use for this fee. I would be right on board with you if I fell into the same boat. Otherwise, why am I paying for a service I won't use?

I will be leaving for VZ more than likely if this happens. We'll see how sales go for Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

bgreenwood - "I will be leaving for VZ more than likely if this happens. We'll see how sales go for Sprint."

So you will leave sprint and pay more on Verizon???!?!

The people on this message board are insane.

Message was edited by: Shinjifei

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm Just Saying

OK so like..........I'm really tired of the whole $10 fee talk.  It's really plain and simple.  If you do not wish to dish out the extra $10 for the 4G service (which is only applicable IF you have the EVO AND LIVE IN A 4G COVERED AREA), then don't pay it.  Don't upgrade it.  It's all a matter of paying for what you get.  I'm sure you wouldn't go to an expensive restaurant to dine-in and only expect to pay $15 for your meal.  No.  When you go to eat, you expect great service.  You spend about $35-$40 for two people for your dine-in meal.  IF (and only) your service was extraordinary, superb, stupendous, you'll dish about $10-$15 as a tip for the outstanding service you received.  This is the same thing.  This phone is coming out and it's supposed to be pushing out the best and fastest speeds in America.  Of course, to keep up with the maintenance of the technology, some kind of tax or charge is going to be imposed.  It's expected.  I mean come on.  This company spends plenty of dollars to make sure that you, the customer, is treated like royalty and they assist you in any AND every way possible.  So what's $10???  Oooooooh!  Get over it and make up your mind to either upgrade and enjoy the fantastic features this phone has to offer or stay with the current phone you have.  Sheesh!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: I'm Just Saying

this is not true, this FEE is applicable according to SPRINT to everyone who owns the EVO regardless of coverage areas. This is why we are complaining. we are getting charged for a service that is not available in our area...Check out the link for the details.

click here for Sprint details

Highlighted
Journeyman

.................................seriously?????????  you think Sprint is that cheap and that stupid to charge you $10 for PURCHASING A PHONE????  if that was the case, the Blackberry Tour, Instinct HD, Hero, Moment, Pre/Pixi, etc. would've all had a charge for the technology the phones brought to the table.

Journeyman

http://jbtaylor.posterous.com/more-detail-on-the-sprint-evo-4g-10month-prem

Hey buddy, i am only going according to what Sprint themselves have stated. check out the link read the article and see for your self. It is also on phonescoop.com....If this is an error then Sprint really needs to correct this ASAP before it affects their sales.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat