cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Old "Bait and Switch" with the EVO Hotspot

Highlighted
Patron

The Old "Bait and Switch" with the EVO Hotspot

I've been a Sprint customer and former employee (left because of a natural disaster so don't think disgruntled former employee) for more than 13 years, and today was the last straw with the piss poor service and attitudes of Sprint's customer service.  I just received an HTC EVO on Wednesday, September 1st, 2010, and to this point I'm happy with the phone, but when I researched this device I was primarily interested in using it as a "hotspot" so I did all the research and even called Sprint's customer service to make sure I could use it as a hotspot and was assured I could with a capacity for 8 devices to connect.  I inquired about the charge for using it as a hotspot and was told there was a $10.00 per month fee, which I felt was okay.  So today I finally get the chance to sit down and set everything up and attempt to connect my computer via the hotpot on the EVO, after everything was set up, I opened an explorerer on my computer and nothing.  I verified everything, and tried again, nothing.  So I called Sprint's Tech suppport, explained the problem and was told "Oh there's an additional $29.99 per month to use the EVO as a hotspot".  What a bunch of bullshit!  I asked why was I paying the $10.00 per month and told, that's a "data" fee.  So why wasn't this told to me when I called and ordered the device and asked about any additional charges, because Sprint is the master of the "bait and switch" with customers.  Needless to say I tried to file a complaint and was given every excuse in the book and received the normal shitty attitude's from the rep's and so-called supervisors I spoke to.  So I'm on my way to port my numbers to AT&T and get an iPhone.  Later for this crap with Sprint and I caution anyone considering getting a hotspot device or doing business with Sprint to be careful and if you're told something ask them to send it to you via email before committing to it.  By the way, in case you don't know Sprint dropped the PCS many years ago, because it had become know as "Poor Customer Service" amongst Sprint employees and customers , so higher ups figured they'd better get rid of that.  I know that because I was a "higher up" with Sprint.

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: The Old "Bait and Switch" with the EVO Hotspot

Have fun tethering your iPhone on AT&T .  Oh yeah, what's the data cap for new customers...2GB???

If you had read the EVO product page and clicked on "Important plan and 4G coverage info" you wouldn't of ran into any surprises.

What are you talking about, Sprint dropped PCS a while ago??? Really? I don't see them doing that.

Wizard

The veracity and motives of anyone who bought an EVO recently, who in a first post on this forum claimed that he or she "did all the research" into the hotspot capability yet was surprised by the $30 fee, is highly questionable.

Journeyman

With so many people out there having this "issue" I now realize the old phrase "there's a sucker born every minute" is a perfectly true statement.  How does one purchase any item that comes with fees yet the do not research the fee structure and rely strictly on verbal communication only?  At the very least get them to put what they say in writing...  or in other words somewhere there is a document that states how much the fees will be and you should ask to be provided with such document.

I somewhat feel bad for these types who are probably also the ones that stop at a car dealer because the sign on the $20,000 car said payments of $199.00 per month but then are surprised 6 months later when their bank tells them the term is for 8 years...even though the dealer told them "typical" terms are 5 years...but on the other hand...it's kind of a self inflicted wound when one relies only on the face value or word of mouth and does not follow through with getting/reading the document that ensures what they are told is true.

Not directing this at the OP at all, but making a general comment on how many times I've seen this exact "I didn't know it was 30 bucks" or "I was told no charge..." scenario.

Journeyman

Not bait and switch just normal business.

Of course you could roll the dice and try rooting the phone and by pass it but... if you get caught you might lose your contract.

Message was edited by: circlecast

Journeyman

Do the math, even with the $10 data fee (which  included REAL unlimited access) and the $30 Hotspot fee it is still cheaper than getting a seperate data card for on the go internet access and I don't need an extra internet card anymore. For the money involved, I could not find a better bargain with phone + hotspot + unlimited data that is really unlimited.

Master

I hear your pain about the $30 that SPRINT charges, but wait till you go to AT&T that pain will be much bigger. One suggestion, make sure you read the fee structure and everything else that comes with the i-phone. By the way its mandatory to get their i-phone plan (extra charge), and to get unlimited web guess what, it's an extra charge too. As far as costumer service??? don't make me start. Because of their over charges, PCS(poor costumer service) as you said, and the "I don't care what you say" answer, I moved my wife to Sprint, best thing I did. Oh and Sprint has a discount contract with all the companies that I worked so far and I bet yours might have one too, AT&T has nothing like that.... JUST A SUGGESTION...

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat