cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about getting the EVO 4G

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am thinking of upgrading to the Evo 4G in a few months or so.  I like it because of the front facing camera which will come in handy for when my boyfriend travels so that we can video chat, but I just wanted to get some pros and cons from others who have the Evo 4G.  So if you could let me know, that would be awesome.  Thanks. 

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Wizard

I've been using the Evo as my personal phone for about 5 months. (I've been providing tech support since it was launched) The pros far outweigh the cons. It has very good hardware, the camera works great and the graphics rendering on it's larger than life 4.3 inch screen is blazing fast. Obviously, your boyfriend will need a device that also supports video chat. The main con would have be battery life, which is a consequence of having such a large screen. Some people would say the lack of a physical keyboard is a con but that's more of a personal preference. The only prominent issues we see are ones caused by third party software that customers install. Just stay away from task killers/battery savers and security/anti-virus apps and you'll be unlikely to have many issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the feedback.  I really appreciate it. 

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

For video chat, both of you will need to have a mobile device that supports Qik or Fring.  There isn't any phone to PC video chat software out right now for the Evo.

Both of you will need to be in a very good 3G coverage area, or on a 4G network, or on WiFi.  Video chat uses a *TON* of bandwidth, and the quality will suffer if you aren't in a very high speed network.

Battery is easily addressed with the Sprint Extended battery - I'm gettgin 14 to 20 hours with the extended battery on the Evo.

All told - it's still the best phone on the market.  I've used about all the Android phones and I paid out of pocket to buy the Evo. 

Thanks,

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

My EVO is plagued with issues. I was recently given a new one by sprint and the issues are still there. Screen seperation. It changes time zones consistently. I live in Michigan and it continues to revert back to a city in England as my home. This as you can imagine would cause havoc on your alarm clock issues. The screen is in a constant state of change in the brightness, flickers at times. The 4G speeds have diminished to the point other phones with 3G are faster by far then mine. The answer i was given by sprint was to continue logging issues in hopes that there will be an acutal fix in the future or the possibilty of switching phones, unfortunately there is no other phone available currently in the line up I am interested in if that was to become available to me. I am at a loss for what to do.

The only APPS I run are facebook, pandora and photobucket. I was actually told not to download any because that was the issue, so what is this phone good for then?

I do love the screen size and the camera very much. I no longer even think about my digital camera. unfortunately for myself, this phone has become more of a burden then a useful tool.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Good luck trying to watch YouTube on an EVO as well as other video like TV.com or movie trailers from websites.

Highlighted
Journeyman

On the point "There isn't any phone to PC video chat software out right now for the Evo.".

Actually it is not true on Evo. You can DO video chat using EVO to PC using Yahoo messenger - (you need Yahoo Messenger and Yahoo Messenger Plugin - only available for EVO and some other front camera facing Android phones) Both software need to be installed on EVO and available in Market. And I guess Skype is also doning similar but I am not a skype guy.

I hope it helps.

Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

The problem you probably have was Sprint probably gave you a "refurbished" phone.  They like to do that.  the previous owner probably had it set up to register as being in England so as to be able to access European content on the internet.  I have a few friends that have down that. 

I cant believe that they told you not to download apps for your smart phone....LOL.  Actually, I can, sadly. 

"Here is your $500 Smart phone that is only good for calling people."

I think that your problems arise from when they "fixed it".  This is assuming that you got a replacement phone after your first issue with it.  They probably fixed the obvious issues and you are left with the rest.  I would keep calling or keep showing up at the store until they fix it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've enjoyed my EVO so far. It definitely is an UPGRADE over the HTC Hero (which was a great sized Android phone that was a bundle of bugs and outdated firmware ---- was at 1.5 for a long time and when the highly anticipated 2.1 came out, Sprint's approved version was buggier than the ROMs you could root from devs). My gripe (and it's most likely a dead topic at this point) was paying the extra $10/month for this phone's most bragged about feature: 4G. I live in San Francisco and aside from near the ballpark where the Giants play, there's almost no 4G available anywhere else. I don't mind still running on 2.2 on my EVO, but if you're gonna charge $10/month right off the bat, you might as well backup what you're selling. Most of the time, I have my 4G antenna turned off because it kept constantly searching for any available 4G networks (which are sparse in San Francisco) and kept killing my battery life. It's pretty sad when a phone's main selling point (or at least one of them) is the phone's weakpoint: 4G (until there is more 4G available).

Highlighted
GrandMaster

Actually the location problem is on going. My phone was bought new and it will randomly put me either in india or africa..which i have been to neither.

As for pros and cons. every phone has its ups and downs. even with some of the issues this phone has i still love it. as for the problems, theyre being worked on per sprint. so im leaving that in their hands naturally.

big con was already stated. the battery life sucks plain and simple lol. keep a charger handy if you plan on using it more than usual which most do.

also unless youre in a 4G area or plan on having wifi, doing any video chat is kind of choppy. i like using yahoo messanger but unfortunatly im in a 3G only area.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you everyone for your feedback.  It's very helpful.  I have a  Hero now, and I'm sure it will be a big improvement to it.  So far just  about everyone I have talked to that has a Evo 4G has been pretty happy  with it. 

Wengla02, will I have to buy a new back for the phone with the  extended battery, or will the original backing to the phone still be  able to be used?  I ask because in the past extended batteries were  bigger in size and then you had to buy a new backing for the phone to  cover the battery, and it looked dumb. 

I live between Baltimore,  MD and Washington D.C., so hopefully I'm covered in the 4G area and the  extra $10 a month is worth it. 

If anyone else has any pros and cons, or information they want to share about their experiences with the Evo 4G, please feel free to post.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you get an EVO I'm sure you'll love it - got mine on day one and I still think it's one of the best phones out there.  But if you can wait I would, there's some rumors of maybe a 2nd gen EVO coming out this summer and I wanna say the Nexus S may be coming to Sprint as well.  If you're in a position where you have to upgrade go ahead, you likely won't regret it.  But if you can wait a few months I definitely would to see if Sprint has anything new to offer that may be an upgrade to the first generation EVO.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat