cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Tethering on Evo 4G

Highlighted
Journeyman

USB Tethering on Evo 4G

I recently got a new Evo 4G and I was trying to set up my phone to tether to my laptop whatever internet connect it has.  If i am in an area with wifi then i can get the connection through my Evo, but of course if there is wifi i dont have to go through my phone.  When i disable the wifi on my phone it of course kills the connection but i figured it would just pick up on the 3g connection. In the tethering info i have it says that it just shares what internet connection it has.  when i try to get on 3g is come up with an error message on my phone.

"data call failure: error code 67. Registration failure. your PCS Vision username and/or password may be incorrect. Please try again."

I dont know what i am doing wrong.  Am I not caplable of tethering to a 3/4g data network on my phone without paying that extra fee? Even via USB?

any help would be great.

Thanks alot

31 REPLIES 31
Master

Re: USB Tethering on Evo 4G

You need to pay the $29.99 to activate the HotSpot feature.

Journeyman

I am NOT talking about the wifi hotspot tethering.  I AM talking about single device tethering via USB cable.  I dont need to hear the wifi hotspot info cause there is no way i am paying 30 bucks a month for a feature I would be using so rarely.

Master

The USB tethering is not an option, Even with paying for the HotSpot. Phone as a Modem is not supported/offered from Sprint. The HotSpot can be enabled/disabled as needed from your account online, Only having to pay for the days enabled - About $1 per day.

Journeyman

Levi4u wrote:

The USB tethering is not an option, Even with paying for the HotSpot. Phone as a Modem is not supported/offered from Sprint. The HotSpot can be enabled/disabled as needed from your account online, Only having to pay for the days enabled - About $1 per day.

Dear Levi4u

I am confused by your response, but maybe I misunderstood, because under "Settings" then "Connect to PC" then "Default Connection Type" -- when I select "Internet Sharing" I am able to connect to the internet through the USB tether from my computer to my Evo using Sprints 3G/4G network.  I do pay the $30 a month, and I connect this way through the USB cable because it seems a little faster than connecting through WiFi hotspot (and it charges my phone at the same time).

Master

I could be wrong about that then, As far as I understood you could connect using the HotSpot and not using USB, Good to know that you can if that is the case. I haven't messed with it yet as I haven't had the need to, But plan on it soon just to see how good/easy it is to use.

Journeyman

Sprint is DELIBERATELY deactivating Android 2.2 Internet connection sharing! I  just talked with Customer Support. EVO customers are already paying through the nose not only  for the 5GB they buy through their plan, but an extra $10 for the speed  they get the data! You would think you can use those 5GB of packets how  you want .. not if Sprint has anything to say about it. They went out of  their way to disable data calls when you turn on the Internet  connection sharing built into Android 2.2 SO THEY CAN CHARGE PEOPLE A  THIRD TIME FOR THE SAME 5 GB WITH HOTSPOT! I am not asking for any more  data, just the freedom to use my data plan for whatever I want and TO ONLY BUY THE SAME PACKETS ONCE! Sprint  wants to stop our freedom and put these locks on the Internet. Try  watching Hulu on your phone ... not as long as Sprint sells a TV app.

Anybody who buys HotSpot is contributing to the problem by funding this unethical behavior.

Wizard

hellatall7 wrote:

Sprint is DELIBERATELY deactivating Android 2.2 Internet connection sharing! I  just talked with Customer Support. EVO customers are already paying through the nose not only  for the 5GB they buy through their plan, but an extra $10 for the speed  they get the data! You would think you can use those 5GB of packets how  you want .. not if Sprint has anything to say about it. They went out of  their way to disable data calls when you turn on the Internet  connection sharing built into Android 2.2 SO THEY CAN CHARGE PEOPLE A  THIRD TIME FOR THE SAME 5 GB WITH HOTSPOT! I am not asking for any more  data, just the freedom to use my data plan for whatever I want and TO ONLY BUY THE SAME PACKETS ONCE! Sprint  wants to stop our freedom and put these locks on the Internet. Try  watching Hulu on your phone ... not as long as Sprint sells a TV app.

Anybody who buys HotSpot is contributing to the problem by funding this unethical behavior.

1.  There is no limit on data, 5GB or otherwise, accessed on the Sprint network either directly from the EVO or through the EVO hotspot plan.  Repeat:  Data accessed on the Sprint network either directly on the EVO, or through the EVO hotspot with the $30 hotspot plan, is unlimited.

2.  Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T all currently charge extra for tethering or hotspot plans (except for the Verizon promotional free hotspot on one Palm model).  T-mobile currently prohibits tethering completely on any of its plans.

3.  Hulu currently blocks all mobile devices on all networks from accessing its service, except for the $10 per month Hulu Plus service available only on iphones and ipads.

Message was edited by: wasbakntyme

Sprint Product Ambassador

hellatall7 wrote:

Sprint is DELIBERATELY deactivating Android 2.2 Internet connection sharing! [...]

Ah yup.  We are.

We've found that we have a product that people *really* want.  We''re going to charge what the market will bear for that product and service.  It's our legal duty to our shareholders to make the most profit possible.  If we gave away a super popular product, we could literally be sued by the owners of the company.

Now, used Palm Centros - no one *really* wants them.  So we're giving them away.  Free.  No contract extension.  Nice enough phone, but nothing anyone is going to make a viral video about.

We'd have ethical problems if we advertised that the hotspot and tethering was 'free' but then made you pay for it.  Nope.  If you want it, you know you have to pay $39.99.  If that's not your speed, you can pay more for a broadband card.   Not the best choice?  A quick google search turns up one phone company in the UK that's giving away free tethering on their iPhones.

One.

Oh, by the way -- the Evo is unlimited 4G data.  5GB tethering on 3G.  Unlimited 3G data on the handset itself.  Yeah, it's a bit confusing.  But it's double (and more) than what anyone else offers.  Except those crazy Brits and their free iPhone hotspot.

Not really sure of the point of this rant - but everyone else was doing it, so I figured I should join in!  :-)

Oh - the obligatory car rant -- (well, motorcycle in this case):  Did you know the Kawasaki ZX-14 and Suzuki Hayabusa can go well over 200 miles per hour?  They were designed to to that, built for those speeds.  But the carriers, er, mfgs, artificially limited them to 186 MPH.  Now is that fair?  By buying a Hayabusa, am I contributing to the moral decline of the world, by supporting artificial limitations on the physical capabilites of the motorcycle I buy?

Ok, I'm late for lunch.  Y'all have fun!

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Wizard

wengla02 wrote:

Oh, by the way -- the Evo is unlimited 4G data.  5GB tethering on 3G.  Unlimited 3G data on the handset itself.  Yeah, it's a bit confusing.  But it's double (and more) than what anyone else offers.  Except those crazy Brits and their free iPhone hotspot.

Will, is your statement of a 5GB limit on 3G tethering an error, or a not yet announced change??

IzzyKS wrote:

Across multiple threads there appears to be some confusion regarding the data plan unlimited usage and whether or not there's a CAP.   So just to clarify, the network usage is unlimited and roaming is capped on the data/voice plans. Below are the pricing details for the EVO. Hope this helps!

$10 Premium Data add-on provides:

• Unlimited 3G and 4G data usage while on the Sprint network

• Off-network roaming is limited to 800 voice minutes/mo. or 300MB/mo. data usage limitation

$29.99 Sprint Mobile Hotspot provides:

• Data usage is unlimited while on the 3G or 4G Sprint network

• Off-network data roaming is limited to 300MB/mo.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/179854#179854

Know more about the 5GB cap on data and if it affects your HTC EVO 4G

Last Updated: Jun 22, 2010

The 5GB cap is for connection plans such as for data cards and modems only. It does NOT apply to phone plans, including the HTC EVO™ 4G.

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Know_more_about_the_5GB_cap_on_data_and_if_it_affects_your_HTC_EVO_4G/case-wh164052-20100608-163822

Message was edited by: wasbakntyme

Master

It's an error, As is his posting of it being $39.99, It is $29.99 p/m.

Journeyman

Hotspot is $39 and not $29 because you can't buy it without also paying $10 more for the faster 4G connection. Just try to. The extra $29.99 and the extra $10 represent the customer's second and third times paying for the same data packets they are buying with their data plan.

It is the logical equivalent of the post office delivering letters to you at your house (think of letters as Internet packets) and charging you a second, then a third time if you want the ability to take your letter out of your house and store it at your office. If the post office did this people would be outraged. For some reason they accept these kind of ethics from Internet Service Providers.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat