cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to start 4G

Journeyman

Unable to start 4G

I get Unable to start 4G on my HTC EVO 4G (2.3.3 and latest updates). Ive tried rebooting, disabling fast start and rebooting. Also its worth mentioning when I reboot it hangs at the big yellow 4G logo over a white background. Im guessing its trying to start but when I go into Settings>>Wireless & networks, 4G shows as FAILED. When I tap it to check mark it it says Turning On... for like a minute or two then says the dreaded Unable to start 4G.

Please note the difference between Unable to Start versus Unable to connect. THIS ISNT A CONNECTION ISSUE!!

Things ive tried:

• HTC Software update
  • Update PRL
  • Update Profile
  • Firmware Update

Sprint tried:

• Network Configuration push

Everything else works fine, WIFI, Bluetooth, GPS ,and yes 3G works fine. Sprint created an eTicket for me so I guess im taking it in this weekend.

Any ideas?

Tags (4)
13 REPLIES 13
Wizard

Unable to start 4G

Honestly it sounds like the WiMax antenna may have taken a dive considering it wont even turn on.  Service and repair center will be able to confirm that and would be recommendation as well.

Journeyman

Unable to start 4G

ok so download quick setting my phone does that and quick setting fixed it without a problem try it man

Journeyman

Unable to start 4G

Try turning off the Mobile Network. Then try 4G again. There seems to be some sort of interaction with Mobile Networks and WiFi that may also apply to 4G. I can connect to either WiFi or 4G if Mobile networks is off. But if it's on, I can't connect to either.

Go to Settings, Wireless & networks, scroll down to Mobile Network, and uncheck the green checkbox.

Master

Unable to start 4G

A hard reset will need to be completed to determine if the problem is software or hardware related.  The Sprint Service and Repair Center will do this.  It is something you could try yourself.  Make sure your contacts are exported to the SD from People - Menu - Import/Export - Export to SD.  You can download backup applications from the market for your texts and call logs.  All apps will still be available to re-download from market.android.com. (As long as you enter the same gmail email that's currently loaded)  And all information on the SD will be unaffected by the reset which is located in Settings - SD and Storage - Factory data reset.

Tom

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unable to start 4G

Yeh ive tried that and all the data gaurd stuff. I think David is probably right. I'll post back an update once I take it to the Sprint store. I wasnt sure if there was some ## code to view/edit the wimax details or perhaps a way of reading some log files to get more info.

Journeyman

Unable to start 4G

Ok I might give that a go. I know I can get my apps back but what about the data in the apps? Ive built up some cool cars on Drag Racing that I dont want to loose, lol.

Master

Unable to start 4G

Oh.  That's a good one.  The only thing I can think of is a market app. I would search for "app data backup."  It's possible with an app like "file expert" you could find the file in there somewhere that's linked to that app and copy it to your SD. 

And, you said that you've tried a factory data reset and an update profile.  But neither of these procedures actually "wipe" the programming information first before re-populating it.  For example, a factory data reset from the settings menu doesn't reset the "life timer" so there are still things left over.  And an update to the profile, doesn't "erase" the information first, but simply overwrites it.  It's a long shot and hopefully it's not actually the hardware but it's worth a try and it only takes a few minutes.  It also will not erase ANY of your personal information, only the Sprint programming info.  ##72786#.  You will need a code I can give through private messaging, just click on my avatar.  I will need your name and Sprint phone number.  

Tom

Journeyman

Unable to start 4G

Whats ##72786# do? I know my MSL code .

GrandMaster

Unable to start 4G

ive been having the same problem with wifi only though. just wont connect. and ive done a FR twice in the time since i noticed it. still nadda. keeps saying its connecting then says disconnected and keeps trying. tried in 2 different places with wifi just in case it was their connection. still does it.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Unable to start 4G

Before you factory reset, try turning of Mobile Network, then connect to WiFi or 4G. It works for me when I do that. It's not right, and it should be fixed, but it's a work around.

GrandMaster

Unable to start 4G

i'll have to try that at a later date. my current wifi is wireless N only. my fault for not paying attention lol. unless something has changed back again we still cant use N

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat