Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Data 3G/4G Confirmed?

Journeyman

Unlimited Data 3G/4G Confirmed?

Been searching around the web and there seems to be a Consensus about Unlimited data lately...   AndroidPolice.com is reporting that they have confirmed that the $10xtra will offer unlimited 3G and 4G.... no just 4G as some may previously reported

Those Extra 10 Bucks/Month For HTC EVO 4G Don’t Just Get You All-You-Can-Eat 4G But 3G Too | Android...

they pinged a sprint rep and got this response on twitter Twitter / svinge: @AndroidPolice You are cor ...

Also PhoneScoop is reporting the same Sprint's WiMax Plans Have No Data Cap (Phone Scoop)  

I wonder what the implications would be for the HotSpot feature?... If I can get Unlimited tethering and not have to worry about that 5GB LIKE I DO NOW WITH AT&T! . . . then the $30 wouldn't be bad at all

Message was edited by: Trinifella

Message was edited by: Trinifella

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Unlimited Data 3G/4G Confirmed?

If this is true, Sprint needs to market this ten dollar fee as an uncapped data plan. but they are marketing it based on hardware, so it looks like we are paying a monthly fee for just hardware!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think the other problem is there isn't any evidence that I've seen that there is a data cap today or that all users of the Evo will necessarily exceed the data cap (given that the charge is mandatory, not optional) that might not even exist.

There's a real, substantial legal problem with charging people for something that isn't any different from something that other people aren't charged for, especially in a semi-regulated industry like telecommunications.  If you say Customer A is going to get something better than Customer B because Customer A paid $10 extra, but there's no difference in their service except in how much they're charged for it, you've got a Class Action waiting to happen.  I can't believe Sprint doesn't know that.

Sprint has thusfar failed terribly in communication; they should have immediately come out with a detailed explanation of exactly what customers get for that $10 that customers who aren't paying $10 don't get.  To date they still haven't provided consistent, reasonable clarification.

Random speculation has suggested that it's a surcharge just because of the phone model, that it's for 4G access, that it's to remove the data cap, that it's for "premium data" (I guess the bits are more shiny), etc.

A clear, consistent answer from Sprint would be way better than getting a different answer from each rep or random speculation/accusation from people on a message board.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well we all will be on contract knowing about this fee, sooo I dont know how illegal it will be. Anyway, we all know that Sprint has the cheapest plans, but how long do you think they want to be there? So, they had to charge something right off the bat or be stuck at 70 plans for who knows how long, which would have been fine for me....hahaha.

We have to look at this from their point of view, they have a budding network that has a lot of potential but they cant fund it with cheap plans someone has to pay for it. So they decided to hit the first wave of 4g handset consumers, we are helping them pay for their/our new network. Plus, with this new price hike, I dont see their plans getting cheaper so it may be better to get this service now before they decide to get on par with ATT and Verizon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Charging someone for something that does not actually exist likely violates any number of trade laws (ie, fraud), and it doesn't matter whether it's on contract or not.  If anything, it would just end up voiding that part of the contract, and certainly no judge would ever agree to allow that part of the contract to be enforced if it came under a dispute.  (And so far, through their poor communication and lack of documentation on the subject, Sprint is just *begging* for a dispute.)

Of course it remains to be seen whether "premium data" is something that actually exists and is actually different from the data everyone else gets, keeping in mind the charge applies to people on 3G as well, just because they're using an Evo.

If someone gets an Evo, in an area where there's only 3G coverage *or turns the 4G off and doesn't use it*, and demonstrates that there's no difference between the 3G access on the Evo and the 3G access on any other Sprint phone, Sprint is very likely going to find itself in a world of Class Action hurt right away-- first for fraud and second for breach of contract for claiming to deliver a service that was not actually delivered.

I can't imagine that Sprint is really that stupid, and they must have legal people who look out for this kind of thing... they've just been colossally bad at communicating what "premium data" is and how it's different from ordinary data.

Highlighted
Journeyman

there only excuse to protect themselves would be to take of the 5gb cap that they currently have on 3g.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes! Jsmart2 that is what they are doing, thats what this thread is about. cause I have a cap on my "unlimited data"  right now....so if this is true, and they lift the cap then they have a reason for this charge! but they are marketing it as a charge to use hardware...their official statement for this charge is the fact that the Evo has a big screen, 1 gig processor, and video chat capabilities? WTF would any one pay a surcharge to use an iPod? so Sprint is going about this all wrong, hopefully they will clear this up before launch...

Here is the link to the statement:

http://jbtaylor.posterous.com/more-detail-on-the-sprint-evo-4g-10month-prem

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unfortunately they are deciding to stick with the Plan. They are not going to change it by launch. This is coming from Corporate Headquarters as the guy in this email wrote:.....check it out..>!

http://forums.phonedog.com/showthread.php?t=778

Message was edited by: Jsmart2

Highlighted
Wizard

First, Sprint does not currently limit data access on handsets.  There is a 5GB per month limit on data through the USB "aircard" devices for a computer, but handset data is truly unlimited.  I have not seen any indication from Sprint that this will be different for 3G on the EVO.

Second, Sprint could legally raise the price of all plans immediately for all  customers by $10; or upon activating any new handset; or upon any action  that starts a new contract term; or require a new "Everything Data 4G"  plan that is $10 more than the non-4G when activating any 4G handset; or  charge a $10 add-on when activating a 4G device.  Some of these options  could result in bad PR or lost customers, and in some cases cause a  waiver of the ETF; but that does not make them illegal.  This is the  same as Sprint not allowing Android phones on the old SERO plans; that  choice is a change of plan (at TWICE the price) or no Android phone, but it is  completely legal for Sprint to do.

Like any other purchase, if the price is worth it for you, buy the product; if not, don't buy it.  If you are so upset that you are willing to go to another provider and pay more money, that is also your choice...but you might want to cool off a couple of days before making that decision.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think the premium charge is pretty fair seeing how someone could buy an EVO in a 3G only area and travel to a 4G area and presto get 4G usage...  Especially if they opt for the  hot spot feature...    My guess is that there is no way to turn off the 4G features if it is available...  so would it be fair to other users if someone who bought an EVO and not charged the extra would be in a 4G area??? 

This will be a moot point as more 4G areas are rolled out this year.....

I also think that the unlimited data on 3G only handsets might go away as well.. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

It would be fair if 4G covered 60%+ of Sprint's Coverage Area... which is dosen't... not anywhere even close.   4G Covers maybe 10% of Sprints Network TOPS... why is that fair that I am charged $10 extra?  Would have been more logical if they didn't charge the fee at all, and when 4G covers heck, even 51% of it's customers then charge a fee, cause as it stands right now, less than 80% of the people who are going to own an Evo, will even have 4G avilable to them in the near future.

I would have been better off if they just charged you $450 for the phone, and excluded that Fee, cause essentially that is what the Phone cost is now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's legal for Sprint to charge you $10/mo extra *IF* they give you something real and agreed-upon in return for the additional expense.

It's NOT legal for Sprint to charge you $10/mo extra, TELL you they're giving you something real in return, but NOT actually give you anything different.  That's called "fraud."

It remains to be seen which will be the case.  As I've said before, I can't believe Sprint would be so stupid as to actually attempt the latter, but they've done a terrible job of communicating what the difference really is, especially in the light of their saying that it's not for the 4G access, and the fact that many have raised that the supposed 5GB "cap" is a fiction.

All it's going to take is someone with two handsets, one an Evo, doing a little IP sleuthing and demonstrating the absence of a real 5GB cap on the other 3G devices to generate a class action against Sprint, and I can't believe they'd want that to happen, especially given how easy it would be to demonstrate fraud and false advertising.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat