Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to EVO phone with SERO plan.

Journeyman

Upgrading to EVO phone with SERO plan.

I have a SERO 500 plan - 30.00/mo, my contract is expiring in a few weeks, and I want to upgrade to HTC evo phone. But it says: eligible for upgrade with a plan 39.99/mo or higher plan. I am happy with my current plan and don't want to change it. Is there a way to raise the monthly payment to 39.99 or higher, keeping the same SERO 500 plan and get HTC phone? Has anyone done anything like that?

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
Wizard

I missed my SERO plans...

From what I understand, I think you should be able to upgrade to an EVO but your bill will be $50.00 ($30 SERO + $10 Premium + $10 4G tax) + tax

Hope this helps

Journeyman

Thank you, that's good news.  So you are saying they won't make me switch to another plan, i can just order and activate the phone under my SERO?

Wizard

Yes, you can buy a new phone and activate it on SERO plan

There are others discussions on this

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/273955#273955

or check

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/plans/blog/2011/01/19/whats-there-to-kno...

Journeyman

You won't be able to upgrade to an EVO and keep your legacy sero plan (not possible at all) .  There is only one upgrade path if you wish to keep your sero plan.... it's called Sero Premium @ $40/month.   It gets you over the $39.99 mark and it's actually a way better plan anyway.  I love it!  I switched in Nov 2010. 

It's essentially the same plan as you currently have (legacy)... with the exception that the SPremium plan has any-mobile-any-time and the 500 anytime minutes (which used to go towards all calls) now go only towards landline calls made during the weekday.  Additionally... it allows you to finally upgrade to then new Android phones, etc.

Read Russ McGuires blog here to understand what you need to do to convert your plan. Read these other posts if you want to catch up on how the SERO Premium came about.  The upgrade process is easy.

As far as upgrading to the EVO.... because it's a 4G phone... they are going to make you pay $10 ontop of the $40.00 SPremium plan.  I would seriously suggest going w/ the Optimus S android phone (you won't have to pay the $10 extra 4G charge).  Though it's concidered to be an entry level android phone... it's snappier than all the other phones except the EVO and the few other 4G phones w/ 1GHz processors.  The reason for it's unusually good performance is that LG built in 3 processors instead of just 1 processor.  Of the 3... 1 is dedicated to Graphics, 1 is dedicated to the modem, and the 3rd processor covers all of the other functions on the phone. 

JLRS thanks for the info.  Its nice to have more options, especially cheaper ones.  I hope this plan continues into the future. 

GrandMaster

i thought the $10 charge was now for ALL smart phones. not just the ones that can run 4G.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

The $10 charge IS for all smart phones if you don't have a SERO plan (i.e. you are on a regular sprint plan).  Read here for details.  If you do have a SERO  plan or an SP (sero premium) plan.... then you are exempt from the $10 charge unless you choose to go w/ a 4G phone (i.e. the EVO, EVO Shift, etc). 

GrandMaster

ah. so as long as it has the capability to use 4G youre shafted. gotcha lol

closest place with 4G to me is about 2 hours away. dont see it getting any closer anytime soon. oh well.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

M.Marcus and JLRS thanks a lot for very helpful links and information.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat