cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail notifications after Android 2.3 upgrade

Highlighted
Wizard

Voicemail notifications after Android 2.3 upgrade

There are several comments and new posts regarding the voicemail notification on the EVO following the Android 2.3 upgrade.  I wanted to provide you with this update and let you know that I will be replying to all the posts with a link to this thread and then locking those individual threads.  Hopefully this will make it easier for everyone to find the most current info on this topic.

Here's the scenario in which this occurs and what Sprint's doing about it:  

• If you upgraded to the HTC EVO 4G and left voicemail messages on your previous Sprint device, following the Android 2.3 upgrade, your EVO may be incorrectly indicating you have new voicemails.
  • As of yesterday morning (6/9), Sprint has begun rolling out a short term solution.  This rollout is occurring in batches with the first devices upgraded to Android 2.3 receiving it first.  This is a network based change and does not require interaction with the customer or the device. 
  • We're currently working on a new version of the Android 2.3 Gingerbread software which will include a permanent solution for the phantom voicemail notifications.  In the interim, the current version will continue to be released along with the short term solution. 
  • You may continue to use Settings/Call/Clear Notifications to temporarily reset the indicator until the short term solution has been applied. If you reboot your device, you will need to do this each time to clear the notifications.  

Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide you with a date for the new Android 2.3 software or an exact date when your device will no longer show these notifications.  My best guess is that within no more than 7 days after you upgrade to Android 2.3, you should no longer see these notifications.  Again, not official, but my best guess. 

UPDATE:  The new Android 2.3 software version that corrects the voicemail notification issue has been released (6/20).  Please refer to this thread for more info.

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Journeyman

Based on my experience, the voicemail notification will not reappear until a text or phone call is recieved.

Highlighted

Desi,  Thanks for the explanation.  I wondered if leaving voicemails on the phone before updating might cause this problem.  Would you recommend that in the future we delete archived voicemails before updating the OS?  Thanks, Rick

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't care so much about the voicemail notifications, stopped doing that days ago. But, I would prefer that over my voicemail app Force Closing whenever my phone turns on or I try to access it. It didn't eeven notify me that I had messages. I can only get to them if I call and check. Is there a fix for that?

Highlighted
GrandMaster

is that the only thing being fixed in the newer version or is there additional things being fixed?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello fireguy_63, there are additional items being investigated by our Equipment group, there likely be several items addressed in the upcoming maintenance release. at this time I cannot say which fixes the next software load will contain, you can check back in the sprint community forums for updates

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Wizard

It occurs when someone upgrades to the EVO from a device that didn't have visual voicemail and the voicemails weren't cleared from the old device.  This is a condition that's normally handled in the software so the customer shouldn't need to clear all old voicemails.   I don't believe having voicemails on the EVO before the udpate has anything to do with it. 

Highlighted
GrandMaster

no worries. just helps limit the complaints if people knew if their problem was one of the things being worked on or not.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Wizard

RC1024 is right on for most maintenance releases.  This one is being turned around quickly exclusively for the voicemail notification indicator.  If they can slip other fixes in without impacting the timing, it may be a possibility, but I wouldn't count on it.   

Highlighted
GrandMaster

dam.n

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have tried everything it started happening to my Evo Friday night call in to support and they said it was in my apps so over the next two days I deleted reset and ended up deleting all my apps from the cell called in today 6/13 and even had them reset my voicemail and I even have gone as far as a full factory reset erasing everything even SD card still doing it I didn't have any voicemail messages when I installed the update so not sure what it is.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

I use google voice and have none of these problems.  I wonder if that would be an answer to the problem.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat