cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WORST PHONE EVER. DO NOT BUY.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: WORST PHONE EVER. DO NOT BUY.

Good news..  Posting here helped. Someone is listening.  They called and said they are going to push a special update to my phone and for me to turn it off and back on.  I did and I am happy to report NO reboots ALL DAY!   I have no idea what they did but if you have a rebooting EVO, Call sprint and make some noise. Its fixable.

I am also told the factory battery is a real piece of junk.  The good news its a common battery.  I am going to buy a replacement Rayovac from the battery store up the street and give it a shot.  If it works like it did today, I am good. If it starts up again, I am going to run over it with my car.

Journeyman

ha. that's funny, now I know to just post a rant thread if I have any problems that the phone rep won't/can't seem to fix. BTW, if you're interested you can check ebay for 3500mah(claimed) batteries that come with a replacement back since it adds bulk, they're from china and cost $10. If you're skeptical about the chinese ones then you can get some batteries from Seidio but they're much more expensive, $60+.

Message was edited by: berage_x

Journeyman

I Really Do Not Know What You R Talking About........I am a phone freak and upgrade as soon as something new comes out and have owned all the great super high tech phones including the iphone and this is by far the best phone I have ever had or seen and I Love ,Love ,Love it.....I have had no problems so far so i think u got a defect....Sorry!!!!!!!

PS: it Blows the iphone AWAY......!

Journeyman

Phone has worked perfectly since the update they did for my phone.  No more reboots or trouble.  There must have been something wrong with the 2.2 update. Maybe you guys will get the update soon.

I will look into the batteries!  Thanks

Journeyman

I have had the phone since the day it came out, well two of them because the speaker quite working in the first one and now about a month later the one I have now the speaker isn't working right again!!  That is frustrating but other than that it has been a good phone, no great phone for me anyways besides the external speaker not working.

CS

Journeyman

Day three with new code. Hours of phone calls No trouble.  Launched Fring to do a Video conference, Phone rebooted, then rebooted in a loop for 30 minutes.  Walked outside, phone stopped rebooting and then I killed Fring.  I guess I cant video convference or use GPS nav without reboots. At least I can use the phone portion of this lame thing.

I wonder if and when we get 4G if alot of this goes away.

Journeyman

I think I need to start a FaceBook page called "Sprint.... Please Stop My Evo Rebooting"

I'm looking for thousands of fans, let Sprint know threre is an issue and we will not silently into the night.

Master

Haave you taken it in to a Sprint Service & Repair center to have it checked out, It there is something wrong with it Sprint will replace it.

Journeyman

As a matter of fact I went to Two Sprint Repair Center/Store

Store #1:

A) Had an Hour 1/2 repair wait time (ok no problem i can wait patiently)

B) When phone was returned to me the agent said they opened it up, checked for loose wire/screws.....

C) Said it should be working know.

D) By the time I got across the parking lot to my bike, it was rebooting. ( they did nothing for the phone)

Store #2:

A): They did a "Hard Reset"  that was it...... and said it should work

Note: I have done 3 hard resets myself at home

Journeyman

OK..  Here is some advice:

1. Turn WiFI OFF!    When the phone toggles from Wifi to 3G, The phone can hang, If it hangs for more then 3 seconds, The phone reboots.

2. Turn the GPS off, It drains the battery and will cause reboots if you loose GPS signal while indoors.

3.  Uninstall FRING if you have it installed. Fring causes my phone to reboot in a loop when the person answers with a low signal quality.

4.  Turn OFF auto Brightness.  This takes up resources while the phone tries to auto adjust the brightness as you move your hand around the phone. Set the brightness at the minimum you can tolerate. This made a HUGE impact on battery life.

5. Dont let the battery go below half way.  If you do, The phone test to become unstable and will reboot.

After doing all of this, My phone has become stable. Hours of phone calls and txt with no issues.  I even played a few games on it without issues.

The current Drawbacks of all of this is the lack of GPS navigation and the lack of FRING video conferencing.  The biggest plus of this phone to me is using the Voice to txt option when txting.  Instead of typing a txt, Hit the microphone button, Speak clearly and the phone types out your txt message with amazing accuracy.  This saves me alot of time throughout the day as customers txt message me frequently.

I understand that the biggest step you can take toward stability is to replace the factory battery with an aftermarket battery. I have not tested this yet. I have not had time to get to the battery store.

Hope ths helps.

C

Journeyman

cturnertuning, if you are having to jump through these hoops you have a broken phone.  I have ZERO of these issues on rebooting.  My phone will occassionally reboot itself but only maybe twice since launch day.  I keep my antennas off when not in use but when I don't turn them off like all day yesterday I only get shortened time on my battery because the gps/3g radio ate it up but even then I have 17% after 12 hours.  If all evo's had those issues it wouldn't be a worthwhile phone to own.  I would def pursue getting it replaced.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat