cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What format does the HTC EVO use to play movies and videos?

Go to solution
Journeyman

What format does the HTC EVO use to play movies and videos?

I would like to know what format to use when using a legal converter program to convert DVD's into movies for use on an HTC EVO.

Does the EVO play videos in an MP4, WMV, H.264, or other type of common program/file extension?

Also, what should the dimensions be for the file (1200 x 720, 800 x480 Etc.)?

Lastly, is there a certain folder on the Micro SDHC chip where I should place the video files for viewing on the EVO?

Thank you very much for your information and assistance.

New HTC EVO user.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
17 REPLIES
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: What format does the HTC EVO use to play movies and videos?

The Evo should play MPEG-4 with AAC audio or MP3 audio.  H.264 video encoding works best, but any MPEG-4 compliant codec (ffmpeg for example) will work fine.

Whatever 'legal' tool you want to use to rip your DVD's just set it to 'iPod Touch' output and it'll look great.  I don't have an Evo yet but I use Handbrake on the Mac for my Hero and Palm Pre.

The Evo can play 720p video (1280x720) on the device -- and if you are going to use it for output to a HD TV, then rip it to 720P.

However, for on device viewing you'll be fine ripping to iPod Touch format or 720x480p, 1.5megabits/second H.264

Thanks,

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Hi,  I have tried all of the formats listed and the video only plays the sound and there is no picture.  I have copied the files to the device from my PC.  Is there a specific process that needs to be followed or a specific location the video file has to be copied to for it to play properly.  The device plays these formats just fine when accessed via the web.

thanks

Journeyman

What program are you using to rip the DVDs?

Journeyman

You failed to mention where to place the files on the SD card. I also can not get movie files of these formats to play. What's up? How about some detailed instructions please.

Journeyman

Hey guys,

Some quick answers for the questions posed here:

The format that I use and have been successful with have been MP4 and M4V. I don't know what the EVO 4G offically supports but M4V is my default. No reason behind it but that's just what I tend to convert my videos to.

The resolution I use is 800 x 480 so I have a fullscreen video.

I use the H.264 codec to do the converting.

I move my files over to a "Video" folder just on the /sdcard drive. The folder is literally called "Video". All your music files will go into the "Music" folder. I love how simple and usable Android is

Back to where I found my information:

I was in the same boat about wondering what format and how-to type questions when I first got my phone. I found this website very useful:

http://www.knowyourcell.com/htc/htc-evo-4g/?utm_source=kyc&utm_medium=internal&utm_campaign=quicklin...

In particular, this article on converting and transferring videos to the EVO 4G (with exact formats and resolution specs!!):

http://www.knowyourcell.com/htc/htc-evo-4g/evo-4g-guides/487469/how_to_convert_videos_and_transfer_t...

I starting using the Handbrake software that the article suggested but I couldn't get my files to play on my phone. I was taking the videos that I have legally purchases through iTunes (watched them on my iPod Touch till my awesome EVO 4G came in) and trying to convert those. It didn't seem to work properly and then I found out that the videos are encrypted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management) so I can't transfer them over. I found other means of getting videos now (use the old google and I'm sure you can find some) but any open video file should be able to be converted to an MP4 or M4V and it will play.

Hope this helps!

Message was edited by: grantheimbach

Journeyman

Not sure if this helps, but i ran into that same issue, and i noticed that i was loading the File Folder onto the phone, i needed to click on the file folder twice until it showed the MP4 movie and Then loaded it onto the phone and everything worked perfectly. Also, there are some files out there on the web, Limewire, Megaupload, Etc. that have file folders that are not mp4 files and only the sound will show up on the phone.

Journeyman

I use Slysoft's CloneDVD mobile and I use a custom ini I made using the Zune profile. The videos/movies look incredible! Hope that helps.

Journeyman

use a converter to mp4 it should play you could down load it on the web for free its called doremisoft free avi to mp4 converter

Journeyman

when on the evo i dont think you could burn movies on to the evo it was video no sound what i did waited for a sec then it loaded

Journeyman

Well, almost everything I have is in DIVX form, so I just used the free utility ConvertAVIToMP4 (awesome enough, it's at www.convertavitomp4.com) to convert everything and they all look great!  It's also a really small utility, so it's fast and freakin sweet.

Journeyman

Well, almost everything I have is in DIVX form, so I just used the free utility ConvertAVIToMP4 (awesome enough, it's at www.convertavitomp4.com) to convert everything and they all look great!  It's also a really small utility, so it's fast and freakin sweet.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.