ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whose responsibility is bricked phone as result of an update ?

Go to solution
Master

Re: Whose responsibility is bricked phone as result of an update ?

Sprint or the manufacture(who ever developed/pushed the upgrade) would be responsible to replace any device bricked/messed up by a software/firmware update pushed out by them, You DO NOT need insurance or pay a deductible if it is the upgrades fault for the phone being bricked. Insurance is mostly for damage caused by the user, ie.. physical damage, dropped, liquid, lost, stolen etc...

Journeyman

That is exactly what I think, Levi.

..... but I'm looking for someone from Sprint to say that definitively.

When my phone was bricked by the last update, I had several Sprint store people tell me I was lucky to be within the 30 day warranty window.

.... and that seemed very wrong.

Master

It should be covered under the 1 year warranty period.

Most likely the comment about being lucky you are within the 30 day period is because after that point, the replacement is probably going to be a refurbished device, not a new one in the box from inventory like would happen within the first 30 days.

Journeyman

To me it's a simple answer.

If Sprint releases an update, and it bricks your phone, Sprint (or HTC) should replace it.  No brainer.

If there is a design flaw, like the charging port coming loose, or the screen lifting up, light bleeding out of the bottom, etc, then Sprint (or HTC) should replace it under the 1 year warranty program.

If you lose it, smash it, take a shower with it, and have insurance, then you should be able to go that route.

If you lose it, smash it, take a shower with it, and don't have insurance, then you should be SOL.

I only have insurance on one of the 4 EVO's we own (my wife's).  I personally think it's a rip off.

I did, however, purchase my 4 phones with a Gold MasterCard which carries buyer protection.  We'll see how that goes when/if time comes.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks.....since you're with Sprint, I've marked your response as the answer to this question.

Wizard

Sprint will make it right for you if you haven't done anything to void your warranty.  So if an update enforced by Sprint ever bricks your device (pre or post 30 days) we'd ask you take it in to a Service and Repair center.

Journeyman

Thanks, Sarah.... great answer.

It was the comments in the store about "lucky you're within 30 days" that threw me when my phone was bricked.

Hopefully, this has all been a theoretical question and future updates will go smoothly !

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat