cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I lose audio transferring video files to my computer?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Why do I lose audio transferring video files to my computer?

I get audio just fine when I record and playback on my Evo but when I copy the files to my computer and play them I do not get any audio.  I have one file that shows as 149MB but when I try using the "Share with YouTube" option on my Evo I get a message saying the file has to be less than 1GB and it cancels it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Journeyman

Re: Why do I lose audio transferring video files to my computer?

The file is .3gp. Kinda sucks, because that is an old type that is essentially run by Apple. You should be able to play it through quicktime. What I do is just use Oxelon Media Converter to convert the files into AVI's, using XviD video codec and MP3 audio codec. I make sure the video is set at 720p, high bitrate (mine is 3072 and works great, I don't know what the bit rate is on the original video) and the frames per second should be just over 20. Oxelon is freeware (one of the only converters I found that worked and was free). To just play them, I think you can install quicktime to see them, or you could mess with codecs for Windows to play 3gp files properly. For youtube without editing, you should be able to move them to your computer and then upload, as long as its under 10 minutes. Youtube can properly use 3gp files, so there isn't an issue there. If your video is too long or you need to edit it in say Windows Movie Maker, then you will need to convert first, then edit.

Link to Oxelon: http://www.oxelon.com/media_converter.html

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

The file is .3gp. Kinda sucks, because that is an old type that is essentially run by Apple. You should be able to play it through quicktime. What I do is just use Oxelon Media Converter to convert the files into AVI's, using XviD video codec and MP3 audio codec. I make sure the video is set at 720p, high bitrate (mine is 3072 and works great, I don't know what the bit rate is on the original video) and the frames per second should be just over 20. Oxelon is freeware (one of the only converters I found that worked and was free). To just play them, I think you can install quicktime to see them, or you could mess with codecs for Windows to play 3gp files properly. For youtube without editing, you should be able to move them to your computer and then upload, as long as its under 10 minutes. Youtube can properly use 3gp files, so there isn't an issue there. If your video is too long or you need to edit it in say Windows Movie Maker, then you will need to convert first, then edit.

Link to Oxelon: http://www.oxelon.com/media_converter.html

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks.  I got it figured out through another forum earlier today but this is basically the same answer I got.  I am still confused as to why a file that is around 100MB on my phone will not upload through the "Share using YouTube" option as it keeps saying it cannot accept files over 1GB.  I have seen this do it now with 2 videos and work with 2 others.  The 2 that worked are both about 1 minute.  One that did not work was just under 3 minutes, the other was 13 minutes.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not sure about the 3 minute one, but the 13 minute one was too long. You can only have 10 minute videos now. Anything longer has to be edited to either squeeze down to 10 minutes or split into multiple parts. That kind of sucks. I haven't done a lot with videos and haven't even uploaded through the phone. Its hard to say why its not taking them all the time, but like I said, put it on your computer and upload from there and you'll be fine if its under 10 minutes.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat