cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't the Android 2.2 update have hotspot or tethering?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why doesn't the Android 2.2 update have hotspot or tethering?

Sprint just released the official release dates for the Android 2.2 as starting next week OTA and the next couple of days to select people. Looking at the list of new features on Engadget though, I can't help but notice that there is no mention of a free mobile hotspot. Android 2.2 definitely has the ability to be a mobile hotspot and use tethering because my friend with a Nexus One uses it all the time so what the heck happened?

I figured the when the Android 2.2 update came to the EVO, it would be limited to like one client (the Sprint Mobile Hotspot has 8) or that Sprint would reduce the $30 a month price. I know that Sprint has to make money and that the network is fragile just like AT&T. That many people sucking that much data could bring the network down but all this does (because the option is available for free) is make me want to root my phone and but stock 2.2 or one of the ROMs on it. If the price was closer to $10 to $15 a month I might (that's a big might) consider it, but because I know it is free and it is hard to track who has rooted their phone then why would anyone want to pay $30 for this feature?

I would love to hear an honest and open opinion from someone at Sprint on this issue because the people at customer support just tell me how nice it is to be plugged in to the 4G network anywhere/anytime (I live in Austin which has 4G and it's still spotty at best and I can't even get it in my work building) for only $30. I understand they have their marketing pitch but hopefully Sprint and customers can find a happy medium soon because if not then I expect a lot of people are going to be doing it anyway and Sprint won't get paid at all for it.

just my two cents though....

17 REPLIES 17
Journeyman

Re: Why doesn't the Android 2.2 update have hotspot or tethering?

because sprint charges $30/month for it. get real

Journeyman

The hotspot feature was announced by Google to be optional by carriers. Sprint already has their own app that allows for full 4G integration, so no point in offering it. I believe carriers can also use Google's app and make it so they can charge for it. The extra money is kinda ridiculous, but I read you can turn on the feature as needed, paying only a dollar for every day you add it to your plan. So if you want to switch it on and off on your bill, you don't have to pay 30 a month. I agree its dumb, but if no one really pays for it, Sprint may eventually bring down the price or offer it for free. Their network isn't anywhere near as fragile as AT&T, but they are trying to make a little money. Verizon also requires money for their tethering and AT&T charges for limited data and tethering. T-mobile is the smallest carrier and has very little 3G coverage, so tethering isn't very favorable with them right now and they don't have the infrastructure set up for supporting paid tethering at the moment. Technically, you aren't supposed to tether on their plans at all, so technically, the people doing it are violating their TOS.

Journeyman

I didn't know you could do it day by day. I thought that when you activated the hotspot that you were locked in at least for the month. That's good to know. Thanks!

Journeyman

I only recently picked that up off the forum so use at your own risk. I think a Sprint employee confirmed it, but again, do so at your own risk.

Journeyman

There is much debate over this issue...  Those who have a problem paying for the fee seem to forget that just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you WILL or SHOULD.

The internet access you get with your phone is for your phone, not for your computer.  If you want to use your internet for your computer then there are fees associated with that.   Yes, you CAN root and enable features without paying for them...  SHOULD you?  No.  Why?  Because it's theft.  You are not getting it for free no more than stealing a video game from the store is getting it for free.  While you pay nothing there are costs, usually after you get caught.  Rooting your phone has side effects.  Violation of your contract causing termination making you responsible for the ETF.  Payment would then be no service and extra money out of your pocket.

So basically saying "I have to pay for it...makes me wanna root my phone to get it for free" is REALLY saying "It's not free so I feel I should steal it."  Because that is what you will be doing.  You are taking something via a disallowed (not illegal, but not allowed), unsupported and contract violating method that you would otherwise be charged for.

Another example:  With the right equipment I can hack a satellite receiver to get all the channels.  I mean, I should right?  They want me to pay for it.  I already have the reciever box and the capability exists thanks to 3rd party hackers to make my box function outside of how it is approved and get all those channels without paying for them.  Besides, I don't want to pay for them, they should just give them to me for free right?  NO.

Extreme example:  There's a gun loaded with ammunition.  Murder should be legal right?  NO.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I do not oppose rooting your device.  I oppose using it to steal services.

Journeyman

I'm already paying for unlimited data. The $30 (as I see it) is just to use the Sprint app that can make the wifi available for up to 8 devices. Android 2.2 makes this available for free without any extra costs. People that have a Nexus One that got full Android 2.2 don't have to pay any extra cost other than their unlimited data plan. I understand that Sprint would like for me to pay $30 extra to give my data (that I've already paid for) to another device because it is another device but other carriers don't charge for this. That's all I'm saying. I still don't see rooting my phone to get the built in functionality of Android 2.2 as theft because just like other networks that allow this I am still paying for the data.

They should bring the price down to $10 to $15 or just have tiered data and make the native Android functionality available.

Message was edited by: grantheimbach

Journeyman

How one sees it and what the law actually says are apples to oranges.  Comparing one device to another only holds some water.  In the end it really comes down to buyer beware.

You buy the phone and pay for the service.  The fees are fees.  No one makes anyone purchase the phone or sign the contracts.  But you obligated to them once you do.

Personal opinion and "they should"s have no bearing.  What it is..is what it is.  It's a take it or leave it scenario but in this case with the option to circumvent the access.  Contracts, the law and intentional circumvention make it an illegal act got get the ability without paying for it.

Being VERY specific.  I have a cable modem.  There are "roms", firmwares, out there that I can flash to my modem, key into my network settings a DNS address other than my providers and I can access the net for free.  I can cancel my net @ home and continue right on using it... 99.9% without them having a clue where it's coming from.  Would that be legal?   You could say that well you aren't paying for any of it, so yeah.  Well that same ROM will allow me to pay for 2MB service but actually use 20MB service.  I'm already paying for 2MB unlimited so why shouldn't I get 20MB unlimited for free?

That's stealing too.. IF I choose to do so, but I do not.

Somewhere the world has to get past the "this is what I think" and "this is what they should do" mentality and accept the "this is how it is" fact.

Wizard

grantheimbach wrote:

I understand that Sprint would like for me to pay $30 extra to give my data (that I've already paid for) to another device because it is another device but other carriers don't charge for this.  ...

T-mobile has no current plan that allows tethering, and tethering is a violation of their Terms of Service.  Verizon Wireless charges $20 per month for 2 GB if your phone is hotspot-capable, or $30 per month for 5 GB if not, except it is free with the Palm Pre Plus. ( http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=products_connect ).  AT&T charges $20 per month for tethering, and allows 2GB combined tethering and use on your phone, then charges $10 per GB above that. ( http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plan-details/?q_sku=sku3830290&q_planCategory=cat1370011# click "Features" tab).

Sprint's $30 per month for hotspot with unlimited data doesn't look so bad in light of the truth about other carriers' charges.

grantheimbach wrote:

I still don't see rooting my phone to get the built in functionality of Android 2.2 as theft...

Rooting your phone is not theft, although it is a violation of Sprint's Terms and Conditions.  Using the hotspot capability without paying for it, when you know there is a charge, is theft.   In many jurisdictions it is the crime of Theft of Services.  How do you define theft?  When someone else takes something that you think they should pay for?  If someone tows your car away in order to strip it and sell the parts, would you agree that they didn't steal it, they just used the built in functionality of their tow truck and auto shop?

Message was edited by: wasbakntyme

Journeyman

Your logic is wrong and your analogy is grossly inaccurate to describe the situation.

I assume you have internet at your home, right? Now, what if your ISP for your home internet, the one that you pay a flat rate per month for unlimited bandwidth, told you that your internet was only for your one PC connected to your modem. If you wanted to use a wireless router in your house, you'd have to pay them an additional $30 a month for the service.

Do you not see how that is actually quite ridiculous?

Wizard

erikthepanda wrote:

Your logic is wrong and your analogy is grossly inaccurate to describe the situation.

I assume you have internet at your home, right? Now, what if your ISP for your home internet, the one that you pay a flat rate per month for unlimited bandwidth, told you that your internet was only for your one PC connected to your modem. If you wanted to use a wireless router in your house, you'd have to pay them an additional $30 a month for the service.

Do you not see how that is actually quite ridiculous?

Actually, no, I do not think that is ridiculous.  As a matter of fact, ISPs used to charge for each computer connected to their network.  As did cable companies charge for each TV connected to the cable system.  And the phone company used to charge for each phone connected to the landline.  Maybe cell carriers will evolve their billing also.  But for now, all the major US cell carriers either prohibit tethering (T-mobile) or charge additional (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint).

My analogy was meant to sound that way; I was responding to a poster saying that because it was part of the built in functionality of the phone that it could not be theft, or otherwise wrong, to do it.  Just like it can't be a crime to speed because it is part of the built in functionality of the car...it can't be a crime to shoot someone because it is part of the built in functionality of the gun...get the point?

Message was edited by: wasbakntyme

Journeyman

Thank you, wasbakntyme.

I was just going to chime in exactly what you stated.  There once was a time when home connections were charged by the device.  You were disallowed to connect more than 1 device (computer) no matter what and were charged if you chose to do so.

Furthermore on that topic, even if they didn't do it before, it's not ridiculous to think that it's absurd...simply because if they are not legally limited from making the restriction...then they have the right to bind you into a contract that makes it.

I'm not quite sure why this is such an issue with the Evo.  Everyone seems to have a problem with it, don't they?

I mean when I had my blackberry back in the day through Alltel I was not allowed, and even restricted, from any sort of tethering without paying a monthly fee.  And that wasn't even high speed data.  Slow evdo.

Funny thing is there are far simpler things than this that no one even considers...  If I hook up my digital tv to my cable at home channels come through.  The line isn't filtered and the stations are there.  I don't do this.  I don't even watch tv but I COULD do it and my tv DOES do it as I have tested it.  I do not pay for cable service either apart from my cable modem which includes no tv subscription.  Under the premise of those in support of "free" tethering on the basis that the "device" allows it... I should be able to get that cable for free without any consequences...  And I probably could since they would never know.  But I'd still be stealing.  Which brings me to another thing.  Would they steal a several hundred bucks out of a cash register if it were left open and expect to not break the law?  30 bucks a month * 24 month contract = 720 bucks.

My computer has the ability to run applications.  Some applications can be used to hack other computers (websites, banks, etc).  Legal? Nope.

Some people never get it.  And it seems there are more of those who think their opinion is right than there are who know that the law is the law and you are bound by your signature on agreements regardless of opinion.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat