cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Sprint forcing more bloatware on us?

Highlighted

Why is Sprint forcing more bloatware on us?

Isn't it enough that we can get apps like Kindle through the market?  Why are we being forced to give up space on our phones for such useless apps? A game trial?  A Blockbuster app that is useless to anyone who doesn't subscribe to their service?  What a load of crap.

Sprint, why do you place your marketing partners ahead of your customers?  Do you really think we like this garbage?  Haven't you read all of the posts railing against the Nascar app? 

This is the last phone that I buy from Sprint or anyone else that won't let me uninstall the crap that I don't want.

28 REPLIES 28
Journeyman

Re: Why is Sprint forcing more bloatware on us?

What carrier's phone do you plan on buying then if you are not going to buy a phone without non-removable bloatware?  Would you rather have AT&T that doesn't permit installation of apps off-market?  Or perhaps Verizon who has a history of doing things like not making the GPS accessible to apps other than their included subscription app?  Sprint is by FAR more generous with their phones than other carriers.

Why does Sprint do stuff like this that irritates us?  Because they vendor likely PAID THEM to include the app.  The vendor will then get a small percentage of up-take from that which hopefully, if they calculated right, will provide them with a ROI.  It is a money game.

Whichever carrier supports the Nexus S - or whatever its equivalent is when my contract runs out.  Google will always provide a 'plain vanilla' Android phone for developers to use as a reference device.

One of the big selling points of Android has been that it's an 'open' alternative to the iPhone, but you're right, most carriers are clogging their Android phones with garbage.  Why can't Sprint - and every other carrier beside T-Mobile - stop ruining the platform, at least on one phone in their stable?

As far as partners paying to have their apps on the phone, I just don't care.  Apple doesn't include third-party crap.  They put the end user ahead of the carriers and any other companies (save themselves, of course).  And their phones are about the same price.  And what's the point of not letting people delete these apps?  Does Blockbuster really think that having their app permanently forced onto my phone is going to endear me to them?  It's not.  It's going to make me hate them more and more, each time I see that app.

If Sprint were to add up the total payment they receive for all of the apps they won't let you delete, triple that total, and add it to the cost of a 'special edition' phone that lets you remove those apps, I'd buy that phone over the same model with these apps in a heartbeat.

Journeyman

I guess I'd just say that there is no way that a few preinstalled apps is going to determine the phone and carrier that I ultimately end up with.  I don't think the average customer really cares much.  If it weren't beneficial to them, they wouldn't do it, so I think that the economics work differently than what you contend.

Journeyman

My problem with these bloatware apps is that they're not removable.  It's one thing for Sprint to include things like Sprint TV, Zone, NFL Live, etc as standard apps on phones they supply (not that I agree with it, but I can at least understand it).  But when you're including market apps and making them impossible to remove, that's just stupid...maybe even illegal as the carrier is giving preferential treatment to certain apps that pay them to do so?

Sprint is trying to give me Kindle.  Thanks!  I already have it from the marketplace, and it works perfectly.

Sprint is trying to give me a trial version of NOVA.  Thanks!  I already OWN the full version, and I understand that Sprint's version will break mine.  Now THAT'S awesome customer service! Let's include a program I didn't ask for, that will break the one I PAID for!

I've been very happy with Sprint service, but updates like the 3.7 one are a step in the wrong direction.  I haven't installed it, nor do I plan to based on all the raving reviews (/s).  But I know that at some point, I'm either going to have to suck them up if I want the latest Android updates, or (more likely) root my phone.

Journeyman

Illegal?  This thread should end now as it has gotten ridiculous.  You are really suggesting that a private company that sells products to individuals, that those individuals choose to buy, has somehow done something illegal because they've chosen to package software on their phones?  Exactly what law would that be?

Journeyman

Chill.  See that little question mark at the end of what I wrote?  It means I don't know; neither do you.

What I do know is that to you it's a money game.  To me, and presumably others, it's a money game being played on MY phone, which is being played AFTER I made my purchase, which is not enhancing my experience in any way, but is rather detrimental to my experience, and cheating me of things that I did pay for.  When you're sending me a trial game that breaks the version I paid for, and you give me no recourse to fix the situation (if you know the solution, could you post it please?), that is a problem.  When you're including more apps that take away from my already-precious storage capacity, that is a problem.

Notice that I'm talking about apps that harm my experience; not the ones that enhance it.  The latest 3.7 update just doesn't seem to have been ready for release.

To Sprint, I say: include these apps if you want, by all means!  But if they're not Sprint-specific apps/bloatware, give me the option to uninstall them. That's all anyone is asking for.

Sprint is effectively downgrading the amount of internal storage that I have on my device.  It's a bait-and-switch.  That is my biggest problem with this. As internal storage decreases, so does performance, so for those of us whose internal storage is already close to being full this update is a significant downgrade to our devices.

And yes, this behavior is enough to make me avoid this company in the future. 

Journeyman

Is there a way to roll back the updates without using the lost or damaged insurance?

Journeyman

Wasn't Microsoft sued for putting software on peoples computers and not letting them uninstall it?  Such as IE, MediaPlayer, etc.  Someone just needs to sue Sprint and they will bring up the Microsoft case to win.

It is stupid to put apps on our phones that we will never use, and if we wanted them we would of already had them.  At least give us the option to move it to the SD (then we can erase the SD card hehe).

Journeyman

Microsoft was sued because for having IE on their computer (even though you can get Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc.). Stupid suite if you ask me. However, if Sprnt wants to keep people from rooting, hacking, etc. they are increasing their problem by throwing junk on our phone. I'm going root again, thanks to this junk.

Journeyman

Rooting has been determined to be legal and has even been encouraged by a Sprint employee on this very forum. Yes, it will void your warranty but if you read about the results from people who have done it and are selective your new ROM will work quite nicely.  Carriers have too much power but comparing carriers to Microsoft isn't valid.  Carriers are more comparable to ISP's -- some of which add bloatware as well.  But that bloatware (connection wizards, toolbars, etc.) can be removed easily or not installed at all.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat