cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my EVO voice dialer not working?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why is my EVO voice dialer not working?

No matter what I say the voice dialer doesn't seems to hear. Is there something that must be done, besides speaking the commands, to make the dialer work?

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Why is my EVO voice dialer not working?

Not sure as I don't personally use the voice dialer, but another way this can be achieved is by holding the search button. Once the on-screen prompt comes up to start talking, just say "Call <persons name>". I'd give that a try as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had the same issue from the first time I tried this feature.  The fix was a hard reboot.

Now the voice dialer works perfectly. I love the EVO.

Sprint also has provided great customer service and a very competitive price plan against the competition.

Message was edited by: alanrizzo

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can not get my voice dialer to work on my new HTC EVO.  I also can not launch voice dialing from my Bluetooth headset like I can on every other phone I have.  Am I alone here?

Message was edited by: ben.moses

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can get the Voice Dialer to work but not with my Bluetooth headset.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Voice Dialing works on the HTC EVO, but not over Bluetooth.

The problem is not with the phone. This feature is not yet working on the Android 2.1 Operating System.

The good news is within the next few months, maybe sooner, the Android 2.2 Operating System has this new feature. The 2.2 O.S. is code named "Froyo" and it is already running on a few of the HTC EVO phones that are in the hands of the developers and some tech savy users.

To get it working before the "official" release, you must "root" your phone and then "flash" it with the new 2.2 O.S.

I for one am somewhat tech savy, but I think I will wait for the official release.

Here is an article that reflects what I am telling you.....

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-22-froyo-bring-bluetooth-voice-dialing

Hope this helps. I am anxiously waiting for this feature as well.....

Journeyman

Is there any reason why Sprint / HTC cannot add the Blue Tooth Voice dial function to the existing 2.1 Android that work so well. It would seem that with a high profile phone this should be a priority feature and become available with an OTA update.

The safety issues alone should put this update at the top of the list. I just got an update for the QiK program today and I just can't see having us all wait months (most likely) for something that important.

Help us out Sprint on this one.

Tom

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Bluetooth is part of the core Android software developed by Google.

Both HTC and Sprint are waiting for Google to deliver Bluetooth voice dialing.

It's scheduled to be in the Android 2.2 upgrade coming to your Evo later this year.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

One other thing that I really liked about Bluetooth on my Instinct was when someone called that was in my phone book already the voice prompt on my Bluetooth said their name instead of their phone number.  Makes it a lot easier to tell who is calling as I don't have everyone's phone numbers memorized.

Does 2.2 do this as well?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I started having problems with my voice dialer and google voice when I installed a Live Wallpaper which reacted to sound (the wallpaper had little droids that moved around on the screen and when the microphone picked up sound the droids would shake).  When I disabled the sound sensor on the wallpaper settings, the voice dialer and google voice started to work again.  You may be running an app in the background that is trying to sense sound.  If so, I'd disable that part of the app.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, this is just peachy! It seems to me that we were duped into games and nonesense. The bluetooth voice dial is a safety issue with me as well as a huge convenience. It seems that while I've leaped forward in most respects, the most basic and safety minded issue was an afterthought. I sure hope this is a priority fix with you guys. I'm loving my phone, but this makes the phone difficult and cumbersome to use. Blah!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

BLUETOOTH VOICE DIAL WORKS NOW.

With Android 2.2 Update.  My Evo got the update on Aug 2nd.  I immediately plugged in my Jawbone, connected, hit the BT Voicedial command and it worked instantly and flawlessly.  Nice job to Sprint/HTC/Google (or whoever did the heavy lifting to make this work).

Try it out !!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat