cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my EVO voice dialer not working?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why is my EVO voice dialer not working?

No matter what I say the voice dialer doesn't seems to hear. Is there something that must be done, besides speaking the commands, to make the dialer work?

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Journeyman

Wahoo! Thanks for the update. I just tried it and it works, and I'm a happy camper once again. I know have hands free once again. Thanks guys.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have never been able to get the voice dialer to work, even after the Froyo upgrade.  I tried the hard reboot, but it didn't work.  Could it be that I have too many contacts?  I have just over 3,000.  Has anyone else had this issue?  What have you gotten to work.  Is there a way on Evo to only sync some of your gmail contacts?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Where is the "bluetooth voice dial command?"

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have owned my Evo since the second week of June, and my voice dialer app has never worked as it was intended. Any command to call a person in my Contacts or to dial a number is returned with unidentifiable numbers.  Surprisingly, it works like a charm, "Hands Free" through a "BlueTooth" car kit, after the 2.2 Update.  But, it stills doesn't recognize my commands when you speak directly into the phone.

Guess I should make a trip to Sprint.

p.s.: EUREKA!  I stand corrected... I just started to play with the "Voice Dialer" again.  It turns out that if you speak directly into the mike, you get erroneous results. If, on the other hand, you speak across the mike, i.e., you speak to the screen, or, in another instance, speak while you hold the phone against your face, THE VOICE DIALER ACTUALLY WORKS, to dial contacts, open applications, etc, etc.

I guess that the mike is extremely sensitive, and ,speaking directly into it distorts the commands that the voice dialer receives.

Message was edited by: APPLER112

Message was edited by: APPLER112

Highlighted
Wizard

ScottGGreen wrote:

Where is the "bluetooth voice dial command?"

Yeah, what does this mean?  I cannot get voice dialing with my bluetooth headset and I've updated to 2.2.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Most Bluetooths activate the Voice Command by holding down the button on the bluetooth until you hear a beep.

IMPORTANT!  - Dont just tap the button, because that usually just "redials". You need to hold it down for usually about 2 or 3 seconds...."until it beeps!"

After that your screen will show that it is "listening" for a voice command, and a sexy voice will say "speak now."

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The voice dialer is a piece of crap.  There must be ABSOLUTE SILENCE except for your voice or it will NOT work.  In a car, in a restaurant, watching TV all make it impossible to use since the mike picks up everything in the background EXCEPT your voice, and it does not understand.  However, I find that the new Google Voice Actions will work every time, but you are stuck with backing out of screens when the call is done.  This is very annoying as well.

Highlighted
Wizard

Garym100 wrote:

Most Bluetooths activate the Voice Command by holding down the button on the bluetooth until you hear a beep.

IMPORTANT!  - Dont just tap the button, because that usually just "redials". You need to hold it down for usually about 2 or 3 seconds...."until it beeps!"

After that your screen will show that it is "listening" for a voice command, and a sexy voice will say "speak now."

Hope this helps.

Thanks.  I was not holding down the button on my bluetooth long enough.  Actually, at first, I was holding it down too long and turning off the ear piece.  The voice dailing with my bluetooth is much better than the using voice dailing and speaking in the Evo mic.

When using voice dailing and speaking directly into the Evo mic, I've found that if I hold the phone close to my mouth, it is able to dial correctly, even if there is background noise.  But I rarely use it without bluetooth anymore.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I found the fix for BT voice dialing issue in the Samsung Moment and is probably the same with the EVO.

Since you have so many contacts, the issue is most likely you had several duplicate entries for some of the contacts (home,cell, work all of which were not added when you put the contact in the first time). With Google Mail, it has a merge duplicates which causes the problem. All contact entries MUST be created at the same time for each contact. In other words, if you have a number for a contact and later you get a number for that contact at work etc. and add it to that contact, you just created the BT voice dialing problem. Trust me, it took me all of 6 months to find this out and NO ONE including Google knew how to fix it.

You may not like my solution but, the BT voice dial will work again.

1. Create a new Google emal account or backup your contacts and delete them from the current account. (Creating a new account will affect your paid downloads as you will have to pay for them again then contact the developer for a refund on the previous purchase provided you still have the first purchase order number)

2. Manually add all contacts info (I know, so many contacts) DO NOT IMPORT YOUR OLD CONTACTS FROM THE OTHER ACCOUNT

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got my phone within the first hour the day the were released.  One of the first things I tried was the Voice Dialer.  It was flawless.  I was so excited to finally get a phone were voice dialer actually worked.  I used it daily.

Then the 2.2 uprade loaded and it has never worked correctly since.  I even had the phone replaced due to bad camera and it still does not work.  No matter what you say or how you say it, it comes back with something nothing like what you said.

I have two other friends now with EVO and they both are on 2.2 and both have the same exact problem.

Does anyone out there running 2.2 actually have thier voice dialer working?  I assume it is a problem with the new load.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got the EVO several weeks ago and it had 2.2 already on it. I haven't had a problem with the voice dialer on it. It works flawlessly and with my bluetooth headset.

Read my post earlier in this forum. It probably has to do with the Google mail contacts.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the reply but let me clarify my previous post.  This is for the native voice dialer, not using it with Bluetooth.  Can you please try using your voice dialer via just starting it and talking into the phone.  I know 4 other friends with EVO's and all of them have the same problem.

So my question to all out there is doe the voice dialer work for you when trying to use by speaking directly into your phone (not using any kind of attached headset)

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat