cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why to pay an extra $10 in 4G?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Im wondering why to pay an extra $10 in 4G if in my state (NC) there are only 3 antennas?

I think Sprint should deasable that feature for customer outside a 4G area... Im paying $10 for a service that I havent used and I think I wont use it

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Master

The $10 Premium Data add-on is not a 4G only charge but instead to cover the ever-increasing demand for mobile data and the costs associtated with it.  And it's right inline with the other carriers only better because Sprint remains the only company with an "Unlimited" plan for our cell phones.  The other carriers are tiering, throttling, or even capping the cell phone data. 

Tom

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's great that Sprint has "Unlimited" but what's the point if over the last few weeks I have rarely gotten above 3 bars or 3G service?  Yes, I am paying more per month for data but if I can't even do a Google search in a timely fashion then why should I keep paying Sprint the "inline" cost if they can't provide service "inline" with other carriers?

Highlighted
GrandMaster

they are slowly but surley working internaly on switching some things around with data and coverage. from what i have heard something about the nextel side of things being switched to the actual sprint side for better ranges. most likely this will also include data as well.

time frame? not a clue...

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Also, funny how this $10 charge ONLY applies once I got my 4G-capable phone.  Before having this phone (HTC EVO 4G) I didn't have to pay the extra $10 per month to cover the ever-increasing demand for mobile data and the costs associated with it.  I had the same plan I have now, but was $10 cheaper per month.  BUT..... once I got this 4G phone - THEN ya'll were like "You see.... now we're going to charge you $10 extra AND WE KNOW, that, in your area you do not have 4G service, nor can we tell you IF you will ever get 4G service.  We'll keep feeding you lines of 'demand for mobile data' - and - 'it's in-line with other carriers' ".

It is pretty sad that Sprint can't tell you when you will get 4G service in your area.  Maybe because if you knew it wouldn't be for another 10 months that you wouldn't buy the phone until then?  Then Sprint couldn't charge you the extra $10 up until then?  Bogus deal?  I think so.  Kinda like....  the hotspot feature is currently disabled on these phones, unless you pay the $35 extra per month to activate it.  NOW.... why would you disable that on the phone and not disable the 4G as well?  Maybe disable the 4G until it comes to our area... THEN I will enable it and pay the extra $10 per month.  BRILLIANT IDEA!!!  Wait, what do I know.  If it was brilliant they would have done that, right?

/endrant 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I dont think you understand, the $10 isnt for 4g. It is for ALL data, 2g, 3g, 4g, EVD0, EVD0 Rev A Doesnt Matter how you spell it. That charge is for Data usage. Period. On smart phones wheather you like it or not SOMETHING is always connected to the internet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You probably missed where I said my plan was $10 cheaper per month before getting my 4G-capable phone.  I guess I should have asked - at what point would my monthly bill have went up an extra $10 per month if I kept my older non-4G-capable phone?  I have to guess never.  I was already on "unlimited data", didn't have a new and improved phone.... but the second I got one the cost went up.  Plus I distinctly remember the [Sprint Certified] salesperson telling me "The extra $10 per month increase is because this phone is capable of 4G speeds, so you will be able to get faster downloads in 4G areas".  So, to me that would mean the $10 increase IS for 4G.  Unless.... said salesperson got it wrong and I was given bad info...?

Highlighted
Journeyman

you were given bad info, which is unfortunate but it happens, also your old phone probably was not a "smart" phone, which goes back into this. All new devices are connected to the internet one way or another, shipped from factory, they are constantly accessing and checking on all sorts of things back doors. you may not have any app on your android phone open, but you will still be connected for one reason or another, and unfortunately, regardless of carrier, if you want the latest technology, you will be paying that 10 dollars through sprint, At t-mobile? im paying a $30 dollar required fee for my phone and it blows. im waiting for my contract to end so i can go to sprint

Highlighted
Journeyman

It probably was.  I had an HTC Touch Pro (windows mobile 6.1 'smartphone').  I know what i'm talking about.

Highlighted
Master

The charge is for data service on all smart phones added to the account  after the end of Jan 2011.  If you had a smartphone on the plan prior to that date you were grandfathered in for that device.  If you changed to a different smartphone after that date  3g or 4g the premium data charge would apply.  This is due increase amount of data thee types of phone used versus the feature phones.  The way and the amount of data being used has changed over the last couple of years  with the  tremendous increase in the number of smartphones.   The person who told you this is because you have 4G capable phone was mistaken.   Prior to the change made in Jan.  the charge was for the newest andriod device where we expect the higher data use on the system. 

Highlighted
GrandMaster

any smart phone now used will get the $10 charge no matter what. if youre still using your old smart phone and havent upgraded and restarted a contract then youre not going to pay that 10. make sence yet? doesnt matter 3G or 4G. youre getting hit with it as soon as you re up your contract. which you did when you upgraded. wasnt the fact that you got a 4G capable phone...it was the fact that you upgraded AND have a smart phone.

plus if you do a search at the top right of this page you'll get quite a few threads explaining all this.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

" The person who told you this is because you have 4G capable phone was mistaken "

I was lied to   NO NO.... they were just mistaken

So yeah, back when I got my EVO i was lead to believe that the $10 was because of having a 4G phone.  But I guess I should have known to question the 'professionals' at Sprint, ya?  Should I continue to question what I am told at a Sprint store?  Is it common that Sprint reps are 'mistaken' in one area or another?  In the future if I have a question regarding billing, tech support or whatnot - i'll be sure to visit 2 different local sprint stores, then call a Sprint 800 number and rely on the majority answer if one is different.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat