cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi drops after SW update

Highlighted
Journeyman

I updated my EVO 4G to the latest SW version yesterday and now I am experiencing frequently WiFi connectivity drops. I connect to the WiFi and then I lost connectivity. Any idea? Other devices on the network work fine

20 REPLIES 20
Journeyman

You're not alone. Same problem not only with my EVO 4G but also my son's. Haven't found a resolution yet.

Wizard

Do you know if the issue occurs on any wifi to which you attempt to connect? I would try adjusting the settings on your router. Change the security type or the channel and test it out. Let me know if this helps.

-Donnie

Journeyman

I don't have the opportunity to try another wifi network. But I did try switching channels (it was previously set to 'auto') and security settings (tried both WEP & WPA) but no luck.

Journeyman

I did play with my access point with no luck. I am using an N router so I force it to use G only, change channels, etc.... No luck

I tried on other networks and it seems to work (I did not stay for extended time). I called Sprint and they told me to take it to a Sprint center so they can check the phone. It was working fine until the SW update so I think they are just kicking me around.

Wizard

A Sprint Repair Center will likely have a difficult time helping you if the phone seems to make other wifi connections without issue. If they aren't able to reproduce the issue, they will be limited basic troubleshooting steps such as a factory reset. It sounds like you've pretty well covered your bases with your router settings. Have you tried a factory reset? Do you have any apps that pertain to wifi that could possibly be interfering? I'm less inclined to think that's the problem considering it's only one wifi connection you're having problems with. You could also try resetting your router. If it seems like I'm grasping at straws, it's true!

-Donnie

Journeyman

Hi Donnie,

I did. I root the phone (both soft and hard where it deleted ALL). I also tried turning on static IP as suggested on other discussions. I also rooted my router and tried different setting combinations. The problem is not only on my home Wi Fi (where it was working before the phone Software update) but it happened on at least a Starbuck store where I connected yesterday.

FYI other devices in my home (computers, other phones, tablets) work fine with my router.

Thanks,

Journeyman

I had the opportunity to connect to another network the other day and the connection did seem to hold for about 10 minutes which is pretty good, although not conclusive. Based on what I've experienced and what has happened to MD, I'm wondering if it's something about the combination of the new EVO update and certain routers. I currently have a Belkin router and will be shopping soon for a new one. I'll report back my findings.

Journeyman

Looks like switching routers did the trick

Although the problem did persist when I tried another model of Belkin, I bought a NetGear N600 and have been on it for most of the day without a single drop.

@MD.Alvarez  What brand router do you have?

Master

RandyFreed and others - what encryption are you using on your router setting?

Glad your issue is fixed -

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Journeyman

On the Belkins (the ones that didn't work) I tried WEP & WPA. On the Netgear (that does work) I'm using WPA.

Journeyman

I am using a Belkin router

I tried:

Over the g mode

Network Authentication :WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK
Data Encryption :TKIP+AES

Over the n mode

Network Authentication :WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK
Data Encryption :AES
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat