Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth the $10/month premium?

Go to solution
GrandMaster

And that would asnwer why i started my post with "most"

youtube there usually isnt to many problems running 3G. most of the other apps that let you watch movies and shows and such will even say that 4G is either required or suggested.

androidvideo, androidstream, etc. as i said above. my son watched it just fine this morning with no problems at home in a not so solid 3G area. i tried it yesterday and it was stop and go chop in a solid 3G area. go figure

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I had a Simply Everything plan for $99 a month using my Sprint HTC Hero for unlimited everything on a 3G network in my area. Premium data? I live in San Francisco and if I'm lucky, if I stand on 2nd and Bryant Street (which is nowhere near where I live), I'll get 4G. But 99% of the time, my EVO is on 3G (which my Hero was on when I didn't have to pay an extra $10). If you're gonna charge $10 for premium data, you'd better provide premium 4G coverage. Otherwise, you're ripping everybody off.

Journeyman

My Point Exactly

Wizard

Re: Worth the $10/month premium?

I do not think some of you are reading before responding...I will clarify! The $10 premium is set up for all smart phones so that Sprint can keep data unlimtied and not need to cap it like all of the other carriers. They started by calling it 4G premium data but now it is known as premium data only due to the confusion. This charge has nothing to do with 4G and everything to do with giving smart phone users who use 3 or 4 times more data than any phone that is not a smart phone the opportunity to keep their data truly unlimited... or would you rather have a cap on your data like everyone else???? I know my data increased by 4X just upgrading from the Palm Pre to the HTC Evo. Personally I like the sound of unlimited and still paying less than the other major carriers!!!!

Message was edited by: DanaMillan

Journeyman

I had a Sprint HTC Hero and I was NOT required to pay the extra $10 on top of my $99.99 Simply Everything Plan. The Sprint reps at the store told me that the only way you can "take advantage of the newer Android phones" is if I agreed to the extra $10 "premium data" charge per month. I don't know about everybody else, but most of us has been on 3G this whole time. When I hear the word 'premium', it better mean more than another fancy term for 3G or iffy 4G or both.

Wizard

You are correct VESPA55 in that originally it was limited that only 4G ranked phones were charged the additional $10 "premium data" charge. Maybe Sprint just chose the wrong name for it...who knows...but the 4G market was simply a test to see if the public would accept it. Last month (or the month prior...can't remember exactly) it went to all of the smart phones and if you upgraded before the date the program started you did not have to pay the $10 "premium data" until you upgraded AFTER the charge became effective. I know how you feel but the truth is I did a lot of digging into the reasoning behind it and to me it just makes good business sense to charge a little extra for phones that eat data for breakfast than to have to worry about how much data I have used because they have to cap it. Sprint is the ONLY carrier that has a true unlimited data program. I listen to my roommate fuss about her AT&T bill every month because it won't register her on wi-fi or something else... I am happy to pay $10 extra a month if it makes it to where I know what my bill will be every month without me needing to "babysit" my minutes and usage!

Journeyman

I live near a 4G area... in fact I was in an "indoor" area until they honestly redrew the coverage map. 4G would be entertaining, I think, but with Sprint's excellent 3G and the EVO's speedy little processor, I really do feel like I'm getting my moneys worth, $10 and all.  --  Sharon

Journeyman

I can not see that it was worth it. Maybe 2 or 3 dollars but not 120 more per year on top of the data plan I already pay for.  The guy in the store did not tell me until I had already bought the phone had it changed over to my number and in my hand. I have been a with sprint 11 years I just think this was not the right way for them handle it. I am hoping they will change the phone plans to include smart phone plans where it is bundled together for a better rate.

Wizard

I would definitely agree it could have been handled better in your case Angela. I also agree a bundled plan would have made more sense instead of making people feel that they are being charged extra just for the phone they have. But I also see that there is a lot reasoning that makes business sense on the part of Sprint. I have been with Sprint for 12 years myself and I know that there have been bumps in the road, but I also feel that Sprint has went above and beyond other cellular companies in what they do for their customers. I know people who have been on every single major carrier and none of them have had the same service or pricing options I have had with Sprint. I guess maybe I am a bit too loyal. I am not happy that I have to pay the $10 monthly for my phone and I will definitely admit that there are many of the reps who are not trained properly and therefore leave out details like application fees and extra charges, but after seeing what my friends and family have went through using AT&T and T-Mobile and all of the problems they have, I guess I am grateful that Sprint has developed the way they have and I do truly believe that Sprint thinks of its customers a lot more than any of the other compnaies out there. I am just thankful I am with a company where I do not have to babysit my usage every month for fear of extra charges and I can upgrade my phone without much of a hassel. When i go to upgrade i do not feel pressured to get the most expensive phone in the store...they work with me and listen to what I want. When I upgraded to my Evo the rep in the store was actually trying to convince a cheaper phone may be more to my liking! My friends on the other carriers can't say that! My sister said she hates upgrading her phone because AT&T makes her feel like she has to get the most expensive thing in the store and the pressure they put on her is unreal! Thank you Sprint for caring about us and listening to what we need!!!

Journeyman

I had the hero too and the hero did not require the $10 premium fee,its the evo that requires it and the epic.

Journeyman

Sprint started charging 10 a month for all smart phones staring january 2011. At least that's the cass in arlington texas.

Journeyman

I've been with Sprint for a few years now, and I think it's the best bang for my buck, $10 charge included.  I do, however, refuse to pay $30.00 for wifi tether when it is built into Froyo...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat