Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth the $10/month premium?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Worth the $10/month premium?

I think you must be a Sprint employee. Why would you be happy that Sprint is increasing your Data charge while you are still under their 2 year contract?

I mean, when you sign a cell phone contract you agree to pay a monthly fee at a set price. At the same time, Sprint is expected to provide that service at a set price, correct?

Why then do you agree when someone already has a SMART PHONE and SMART PHONE CONTRACT with Sprint that you agree, in the middle of that contract, the person breaks his or her phone and if they replace it with ANYTHING other then the phone they had, Sprint will increase them $10 a month.

Only an employee would thinks that is fair.

Journeyman

DANA, if you are a current Sprint customer, I ask you, why do you think it is fair that Sprint can raise my fee $10 per phone, in the middle of my contract ?

I already have four smart phones under the current contract, all I wanted to do was change one SMART PHONE for a different brand SMART PHONE and SPRINT wants to charge me an extra $10. a month. I dont understand how you would agree with such a policy, unless you worked for them.

Journeyman

Same think happend to me ... ANGELA, I already have a Windows Smart Phone. But, I thought I would switch to a different brand smart phone.

I bought the phone and now stuck with it, I only found out after that SPRINT will NO LONGER switch phones unless you agree to an extra $10. charge.

GOOD god where are the brains here? What am I missing> If I pay for home phone service and I decide to buy a new phone, the home phone service does NOT charge me extra for service I am already paying for. GOOD GOD >> *L*

Journeyman

I totally agree with you. Who in the world thinks that paying MORE is better? In fact, I was on a Samsung Instinct (the FIRST one, the one that had all those commercials playing at movie theaters boasting that it was the next iPhone killer - yeah right) and then the HTC Hero ------- I should be able to run an Instinct or a Hero for $99.99 a month for the Simply Everything plan, right? I was running on my HTC Hero with a basic $99.99/month plan and connected basically to just Sprint's 3G network. I should pay the same price for the SAME service, right? NOPE.  My SAME device (HTC Hero), is now a device that requires "premium date". This is what I got in reference to my HERO:

Premium Data (required for this device)

We require this add-on for phones made  to deliver a superior wireless experience including Web, email, video and social networking.

Why is it all of a sudden, my mediocre Hero requires an additional $10 for a "superior wireless experience"? It's not even for 4G, it's for 3G. I said the heck with it and settled to get the EVO at a discounted price anyway.

And on top of all this, what used to be $108/month has turned to darn near $150+ a month for the same exact plan with the same exact coverage: I decided to get an EVO anyway since I'm paying the extra $10 for "premium data" and guess what - I'm on 3G 99% of the time ------ I live in the burbs, if I don't turn off my 4G antenna, my phone will drain power within hours since it continually searches for a 4G network. I haven't seen prices this high since I was with Verizon and AT&T. If Sprint is going to claim that this $10 is for a "superior wireless experience" - there better be some superior 4G networks available. Otherwise, they're just ripping off customers who have been with them for years. I've been with Sprint since 2000 and despite the competition, I stuck with them since they seemed to have the best phone plans. With a mediocre phone lineup, last in getting firmware updates, etc. - hiking up the price for one of the main attractions of Sprint as a company (decent phone plans) makes for very unhappy customers.

Wizard

BLOCKNLOT1 I do not work for Sprint nor have I ever received any kind of paycheck where Sprint signed it (only mail-in rebate checks lol). I agree with this charge because I have done research on it. I have talked to people and found out their opinions. I have a business management degree and from what I have learned it makes sense for Sprint to do what they have done. Sprint is the only network who has true unlimited data and has been for a long time. They have never tried to charge overages on everything data or simply everything plans and I am sure if they have they have reimbursed or cancelled those charges because by law they are invalid. But here we are in a economic recession where everyone is pinching pennies and trying to make ends meet. Sprint sets up a program that assists poverty stricken families with phones for free so they can still job hunt. Now these are not huge plans and they are simply for talking with a small amount of minutes but they do it. MY LOYALTY TO SPRINT IS NOT BECAUSE I WORK FOR THEM BUT BECAUSE I RESPECT THEM!!! I do disagree with the way they started the data charges but it makes sense if they truly want to keep data unlimited and not have to increase rate plans a lot to do it. Did you even see the data usage of mine I listed above? That is straight off of my account on sprint.com and you can even see yours too if you go to analyze plan and wait for the next page then click see usage trends on the left hand side then select the data tab. The amount of data we use as a whole has to be staggering. And as for being charged extra for home phone service...they do not wait until you buy a phone they just increase rates as they want to...that is why I do not have a home phone cause my bill went from $40 month to $55 monthly without so much as a letter stating sorry for the increase. Power companies, water companies, gas companies, and cable/internet companies all do it. At least sprint gave you a choice. If you want a smart phone it is $10 extra and if you decide not to have a smart phone then just your regular price plan applies. The others do not give you a choice. So no I do not work for Sprint but I am loyal and have a lot of respect for them. I just take the time to research and come to an educated conclusion instead of being upset when I really have no idea why.

BTW I totally disagree with the premier changes and feel the changes were possibly necessary but that Sprint should have allowed all current customers who were already under the premier program to remain and simply start the new premier program with new customers only!

Wizard

VESPA55 I understand the issue as well as you guys I just happen to be able to see the business side of it as well. You will not have to pay the extra until you upgrade your phone or make some serious changes. Your current contract is not affected because it does not apply until contract renewal is required. I am not happy about paying the extra money but if it keeps it to the point where I do not have to babysit my usage due to caps or limits and I STILL have the cheapest plan for what I have across all of the carriers I am willing to accept it. I was skepticle when I first heard about it too but I did extensive research. I researched phones and plans for 2 months before deciding to upgrade to my EVO. All I am saying is try to see the other side of the equation!

Journeyman

Incorrect in your reply to VESPA55 Dana.

You entire response to him is incorrect.

If you already have a SMARTPHONE and SPRINT CONTRACT SPRINT WILL INCREASE YOUR MONTHLY BILL $10 a MONTH IF YOU WISH TO SWITCH YOUR CURRENT SMARTPHONE WITH ANOTHER SMARTPHONE THAT YOU OBTAIN ON YOUR OWN.

SPRINT HAS NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE - TOOK AWAY A FEATURE WHILE YOU STILL HAD A VALID CONTRACT.

I WOULD AGREE THAT SPRINT SHOULD AS A BUSINESS DO WHATEVER AND CHARGE WHATEVER THEY LIKE ONCE A PERSONS CONTRACT IS FINISHED BUT TO CHANGE THE TERMS WHILE YOU HAVE A CONTRACT IS UNETHICAL.

Wizard

Look I will not argue with you over this and it appears you are looking for a fight or disagreement. As I previously stated Sprint will not charge the $10 until you UPGRADE or perform a change that will cause your contract to renewed. Upgrading your phone causes a contract renewal so I am NOT incorrect. The only thing I am uncertain of is if you do a phone swap to another smart phone because I am not sure what the terms are there as I do not believe a contract renewal is required. Before you try to make someone else look bad make sure you know what has been said and what has not. I never said a swap would not cause the charge because that kind sir I do not know!

Journeyman

Ok, agree with you on this one and let me inform you about a swap.

Sprint changed their policy in Jan. regarding swapping phones when under contract. They did so without informing their very own good paying customers. (not nice)

SPRINT starting charging an extra $10 a month to swap smart phones. They started this policy at the same time of the smart phone surcharge.

They never used to charge to swap smart phones while under contract. Now they do, thing is, they never told anyone they would and people are finding out after they buy the darn things.

Now is that ethical?

Wizard

If that is indeed the case then I agree with you BLOCKNLOT1. I will say this however; I spoke to a Sprint rep as if I was a customer wanting to do a phone swap. Story was I lost my phone and had a friend who was going to let me use one of his until I could get a replacement. I did not give account info so they had no idea I already pay the $10 charge for my EVO. I told her I was switching to a Palm Pre...the same phone I upgraded from. She informed me of the $10 smartphone charge and I asked but I am still under contract with my old phone and i thought that only applied to upgrades? She stated that Sprint has had the policy for a long time that Swapping phones is the equivelent of upgrading only without the contract renewal. She stated she had worked for Sprint for 3 years and that she was initially trained that phone swaps are handled in the exact same manner as the upgrades are only the contract is not renewed for a swap...all other aspects are the same!

Not sure if this means anything at all but maybe it will help somebody understand. They are not charging the $10 extra to swap the phone they are treating it the same as an upgrade. Still not sure I can agree with that since the contract is not renewed but that is what I found out! Hope that helps in someway BLOCKNLOT1. And thanks for the truce!

Wizard

Yes its worth the $10 dollar month premium its better to pay the $10 dollar that data caps i dont like data caps at all unlimited is the best way to go dont have to worry about overcharged and ur bill will always be the same.The $10 month premium fee is not going to hurt nobodys pocket so just play the fee and move on Sprint is doing what they have to do to give Sprint customers the best service at the best price with data plans in the nation to keep the network going.Sprint is doing a very good job in giving Sprint customer the best serivce out there.

Journeyman

Thank you for the reply and looking into what I was talking about regarding phone "swaps" . Truce it is! Sprint closed down the last conversation so I could not reply in that one.

It is kind of strange they consider it an "upgrade" simply because in the past they ALWAYS allowed phone swaps at no cost. But since they raised the price, an upgrade cost an existing subscriber more money when it never did in the past. By that I mean, have 3 kids, if they ruined their phones, they simply bought one on e bay and through my Sprint online I simply swapped the phones. All of the above would have been fine if they informed me that I no longer will be able to change phones without getting charged an upgrade.

Anyway, ok, enough, truce, I did not mean anything personal, was a very frustrating experiance for me, simply because I already have the unlimited plan and I can no longer switch around phones like I did only months ago because of Sprints new policy. Furthermore I always loved their service and their prices but this time it's kind of left a sour taste on me.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat